Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Language School in Zhengzhou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debs022

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Language School in Zhengzhou Reply with quote

I recently saw an interesting ad for a school in Zhengzhou, China named the Jianye Foreign language School. Has anyone ever heard anything about this school? Furthermore, I would love to hear any opinions on the city of Zhengzhou itself. I do not speak any Mandarin and am also a vegetarian- will I be able to make friends and eat?
Thanks
arioch36

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like Jianye, even if I chose not to work there. Is Marina still the FAO? The aprtments are nicely furnished 2bedrooms, not huge, but okay. Jianye was started by a prosperous Henan business company, and have a k to 12 school. I am not a big fan of the high school system overall, but the school puts some emphasis on non-academics (like dancing, whatever.
I think they have several foreigners there now, see if you can e-mail them. One thing that I didn't like as much is that there were not a lot of small shops (such as food, etc) around. I love stepping out of my college and having 20 cheap, tasty places to eat at. I know Jianye tries to have a program where the kids graduate form a special program, and are admitted straight into an Australian school
Vegeterian in China, that is a topic thread in itself. It is respected in China, but can be hard to communicate if you don't know Chinese (plus Chinese sometimes ignore what you ask anyways). I believe Marina is a vegeterian.
Zhengzhou.... I find the people to be very friendly and honest. Jianye is still in the city, on the east. Zhengzhou is centrally located for going to many places, halfway between Shanghai/Hangzhou and Beijing, and Xian in the other direction. As the Lonely Planet correctly states, this is the main attraction of Zhengzhou. It is a convenient location for traveling from. but not a lot to do IN Zhengzhou (though Jianye is nicely situated for quick excursions into Kaifeng To the westof henan is the Shaolin temple, Mount Songshan, and many other mountains, etc
Oh, very cheap place to live
E-mail if you want, during the vacation I am going to try to set up my group for Henan teachers

Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: