Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Education and Experience in UAE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
xalapa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Education and Experience in UAE Reply with quote

What is the absolute minimum of experience and training necessary to get hired in the UAE?

I've got a BA, SIT TESOL certification and minimal experience.

Seems like most places want an MA TESOL and loads of experience.

Micah
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you don't a search for this topic or read the many threads on it?

Basically with your credentials you would get lousy pay, probably no benefits, and a marginal employer.

The Gulf is a place for experienced teachers - most decent jobs are with universities who insist on professionals with MAs and related experience.

VS
blues clues

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:49 am    Post subject: MLI and HCT Reply with quote

Seems to me some commented a couple of weeks back that one DOES NOT need Master's to work for HCT. I had posted that the last few job postings from HCT said they required MA"s, including the job postings for HCT at TESOL Arabia. Now it's come to light that many teachers who've been employed with MLI for several years now, will not be given new contracts, the excuse being: NO MASTER'S
HCT.....what about those people you have working for you with fake degree's, or those who have gotten their jobs by stating that MA's are pending!
It's disgusting what HCT has done to these qualified, experienced and hard working teachers. It goes to show the lack of respect HCT, as well as other ,no prob most companies have for their employees here in the Gulf.
Can you say, " mas'allah'ma"!
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: MLI and HCT Reply with quote

blues clues wrote:
Now it's come to light that many teachers who've been employed with MLI for several years now, will not be given new contracts, the excuse being: NO MASTER'S

HCT.....what about those people you have working for you with fake degree's, or those who have gotten their jobs by stating that MA's are pending!

It's disgusting what HCT has done to these qualified, experienced and hard working teachers. It goes to show the lack of respect HCT, as well as other ,no prob most companies have for their employees here in the Gulf.
Can you say, " mas'allah'ma"!

If this was the Korean forum I would be sharpening my claws not so much based on what you are thinking but the way you choose to express it.

But since this isn't the Korean forum, I will respond without trying to antagonise you. (and maybe I will learn something in the process as I am only speaking from my small world of experience)

1. The CERT situation I have no idea about.

2. The MLI situation. From what I can gather the MLI people (who will remain) are being "forced" to sign HCT contracts. This is a tough pill to swallow as the folks over at MLI had a sweet deal compared to the HCT crowd. I can understand their/your frustration from the staff point of view.

Having been through a similar situation in Canada what the school did was fire everyone. Open the school under their own umbrella. (and of course not hire the expensive people back. It REALLY sucked because I was part of the management team doing the dirty work Sad I quit afterwards.) But basically this is their only chance to "clean house" (whatever that means, and I guess they are taking it.)

(If you had mentioned the timing of all of this..(waiting until after the hiring season was peaking...but even so people knew it was a mess long before now.)

Staff/Employer relations rarely go smoothly in such a takeover situation and I expect we will be seeing lots more about it on the boards. While I am interested, I hope there will be a structured area for it, not just slipping it into every post.

And on another topic that has my back up in the air these days:

Would people please post:

People's Names
and
School they are working at.

Or shut-up about (ohh all of the people working with fake degrees at HCT.)

And as for the Master's degree in Progress, I am one of those so I also take exception to that as well. It wouldn't surprise me though if people without Master's degrees were finding it far more difficult to find jobs in the middle east in general. Not because a Master's degree is so important (which on some levels I think it is) but because it really is becoming the new standard level of education. (there are plenty around, and we all know they like paper here.)

Last edited by turtlepi1 on Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Education and Experience in UAE Reply with quote

xalapa wrote:
What is the absolute minimum of experience and training necessary to get hired in the UAE?

I've got a BA, SIT TESOL certification and minimal experience.

Seems like most places want an MA TESOL and loads of experience.

Micah

and of couse no one can "answer" your questions..only offer information based on experience.

My GF has 3 years teaching experience, a BA, and is currently in a Master of linguistics program. On top of that she will be in-country on my visa and she didn't make it through prescreening at HCT. (that's my experience.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Turtle,

Bluesclues seems to have a particular problem with HCT and I can't see that his comments had anything to do with the OP's question. He has posted almost this same message a number of times. The OP wouldn't qualify for HCT with his lack of related experience anyway, so it is just a hijack. There is a whole thread discussing the MLI/HCT problems - better to have all the detail in one place for those who are interested.

Sorry xalapa...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: