Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Being able to work in France once Married.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thwack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:26 am    Post subject: Being able to work in France once Married. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm arriving in France in July to marry my partner. I'm an Australian Citizen and my partner holds both Australian and French nationality. Once we are married what do I need to do to be able to work legally in France? How long does this normally take?
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:08 am    Post subject: who said beaurocracy only exists in France ? Reply with quote

You'll need a carte de sejour - basically a work permit.

You will have to show that you have an address and an income (or resources) so that you will not become 'a burden on the State'

waiting times vary according to where you are and how co-operative the authorities decide to be.
It can take 4 to 6 weeks or more than 6 months.
ketama

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy,
This was my experience.
After you guys are married (a whole process in itself), you just have to go to the police to turn in the paperwork for your first carte de sejour, which should give you the right to work if you are married to a French national. Bring your �livret de famille�, passport, something with YOUR name on it proving your address (phone bill, lease, etc.) and proof of your spouse�s income and French nationality. Of course, after the paperwork is submitted, it takes awhile to arrive, but not to lose heart. While you�re waiting, they will give you a �recipice de carte de sejour�, which is basically another piece of paper that says you applied, and should have the mention �Autorise son titulaire a travailler�, with which, you can work. Before you actually get the carte de sejour, you have to go to the government�s doctor, have a chest x-ray, language exam, talk with a social worker and pay the 220 euro fee. If you don�t speak French, they will arrange to have a translator for you. Then that�s that. Your first carte de sejour will be valid for a year, as will your second. After that you can apply for a carte de residence valid for 10 years, as well as French nationality, which is valid for, well, as long as you please. All of the above will give you the right to work and to government services.
I know this is really specific, but it�s a long process. The main thing is that you should have the right to work as soon as you turn in your paperwork.
Bon chance et bienvenu!
michellem

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello,

I am in the exact same situation. Except we have already been married 5 years. we got married here in canada (and again in tunisia, but that is a LONG story), so I already have my livret de famille etc. i was wondering how long it took you to actually get a job? in what department?

thanks
michelle
DME

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:10 pm    Post subject: carte de sejour (c.d.s.) Reply with quote

Well, I know a little bit more about the process now...I responded to another post on the same topic earlier, but I wasn't specific about the difference between the recepisse and the c.d.s. I showed up at the prefecture the day after I arrived in France with all the paperwork necessary to receive my recepisse (including a Livret de Famille) and was told to come back in mid-April, during which time I could not legally work (3 1/2 months). At this prefecture (91), at least, you have to have an appointment to get your recepisse, and so it really depends on how many people are in front of you. Even though I had a Livret de Famille, the earliest appointment available was 3 and a half months later and there was nothing I could do about it. In April, I returned again with all my stuff and got my recepisse and found some part-time work. I was called in for my medical visit beginning July (which I found very well-organized and efficient, actually) and should have my officialy c.d.s. next week. BTW -- I learned that Sarkozy (sp) has changed the law and if you are interested in applying for French citizenship you will also be required to attend a 1-day "formation civique." It is one of those optional things that is not really optional if you would like to try for dual-citizenship. I guess I said the same thing as Ketama -- and don't lose heart. I'm sure I still have some more waiting and it might be overly optimistic to hope that I'll have the c.d.s. in my hands at my next visit to the prefecture, but one never knows!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: