Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Move to Thailand and then find work?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moscow5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Move to Thailand and then find work? Reply with quote

I'm sure this questions gets asked all of the time, but...

Is it possible to find work in Thailand while I'm still living in the U.S. or is it better to set up some interviews and just go and stay until I find work?

My guess is the latter, given the responses (or lack of response) from the schools I've contacted.

Thanks!
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 12:58 pm    Post subject: yes, that's almost right... Reply with quote

It is possible to arrange a job in Thailand from the US. A friend of mine did it several years ago, but it was one of the crappier jobs in Thailand. But there are very few schools that will do this so it severely limits your options.

Do you have a degree? Most jobs require some kind of BA as a minimum.

If you want to teach in Thailand I would recommend coming here, but actually I think you should check out other countries that offer better opportunities. Conditions in Thailand are going downhill. Confused
moscow5

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject: moving and interviewing...part 2 Reply with quote

Thanks for your response, I appreciate your advice.

Yeah, I understand that the situation for teachers in Thailand is deteriorating, but I want to go nevertheless...though I fully realize that I may have to end up going to Vietnam or somewhere else in the region after a year or so.

Given what you have said, and what I have heard from virtually everywhere I've looked, I am thinking that I should just contact a number of schools before I get to Thailand - I will be arriving in February - and set up a lot of interviews. Do schools generally hire on the spot or soon after? I'd like to start right away.

I have a degree (master's in library science), TEFL cert., and teaching experience so I hope I won't be looking for too long...sigh.
dazedANDconfused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to jobs in Thailand from the US before making the plunge and had absolutely no success, despite some pretty good qualifications. I ended up going to Thailand with nothing lined up. I sent out 5 resumes while in Bangkok (with Bangkok contact information) and had a very good job offer in 4 days. I think being here is the best way to get a good job. You need to see the place and people you will be working with. The most important thing, in my opinion, is making sure that you have a nice amount of cash to ease the transition. I had to travel to Malaysia to change my visa status, get long term housing (1 months deposit + that months rent), and live without any money coming in for almost 1 month.

The situation is changing , as you have mentioned, so plan it carefully to avoid problems. Good luck! Smile
sigmoid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: "a very good job" Reply with quote

Quote:
I sent out 5 resumes while in Bangkok (with Bangkok contact information) and had a very good job offer in 4 days.

A very good job in Bangkok? Sounds curious...

Care to elaborate regarding salary, hours and type of school?
[This is a non-confrontational request. I'm just wondering...]

Quote:
I will be arriving in February -

That's OK, but if you're interested in a uni job the term starts around May/June. Of course, you might pick up something for the summer session in March - April.
dazedANDconfused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A very good job in Bangkok? Sounds curious...

Care to elaborate regarding salary, hours and type of school?
[This is a non-confrontational request. I'm just wondering...]

There ARE some very good jobs in Bangkok...but your request for information takes us away from the original post.
moscow5

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: One-way ticket? Reply with quote

My next question is it better to buy a one-way ticket or will that get me no further than the airport because of the visa requirements?

I'd like to buy a one-way ticket to Bangkok and also a ticket to Singapore (or Malaysia, or the like to do my visa run once I've accepted a job), interview and accept a job, and then do a visa run to change my visa status. Is that do-able or should I buy a round-trip ticket to/from the U.S. (where i'm from) or is there another way that is better?

Thanks again for all of the advice!
dazedANDconfused

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I made the jump I had travel plans arranged by someone who is Thai. I was told I needed a round trip airline ticket...they need to see you are leaving within the 30 days that you get on your entry visa. The return trip is kept open ended. If you buy an open ended ticket you are supposed to have 1 year to use the return part of your ticket or it becomes useless. I will test that in a couple of months. It sounds like a plane ticket from BKK to Malaysia,etc. would be fine. However, I would suggest that you try Ajarn.com or, even better, ThaiVisa.com . There are some very knowledgeable people there to help on all aspects of your plans.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: