Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kira

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 6:37 pm    Post subject: Online stuff . . . Reply with quote

First, a thanks to Kent for his links, which will eventually make this job discussion board into a virtual site in and of itself. Cool

And, a word of caution. Exclamation Online dictionaries and translation systems are Venus fly traps ready to snap on the first unsuspecting victim. I, just for kicks, punched in "fire" -- and received answers along the lines of "ogon'" (Dave's won't let me post in Cyrillic). There was nothing along the lines of "fire" as in, "I was fired today", "Menya segonya uvolili." Confused

These are very handy for those who are familiar with the language and need a quick refresher on a word they can't quite remember, but for the beginner (or even worse, the intermediate student), you could be up against more than you know.

For fun sometime, try entering a paragraph in English into a translation system, then re-route it back from the target language into English--the results are great. Shocked

Of course, this is the reason that translators make big bucks--their work is irreplaceable.

I recommend for dictionaries:

Russian-English: Oxford--the bigger the better
English-Russian: Katzner

Though Katzner is based on American English, it's English-Russian translations are more accurate than Oxford (and Oxford Russian-English the same)--perhaps "stronger" would be a more pc word than better.

Don't forget to look the word up in the target language and translate it back to English to double check the meaning--sometimes there are hilarious results!

Kira
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 4:49 am    Post subject: right you are! Reply with quote

Privyet Kira:

Yes; you are absolutely correct. These online dictionaries are rather limited in terms of subtle and/or second meanings of various words. No doubt about that whatsoever.

The thing that I thought was cool about this website was the fact that when you 'punch in' an English word, you get the Cyrillic spelling, not the more common English phonetic spelling. And that would be a good way for 'newbies' to practice their reading skills a little, learn a few basic words, and generally become comfortable with the Cyrillic characters.

As always, take these links of mine with a grain of salt; some will be useful to some people; some will be a complete waste of time for others.

It's my underlying hope that by providing lots of links to various Russian-oriented sites, people will be able to 'browse' this forum quietly ... and find the answers to their questions ... without having to post a lot of redundant questions like you have on so many other forums. As MLK once said, "I have a dream ...." Cool

Yours truly,
kEnt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: