Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Class expectations and Costa Rican culture

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piscean21

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:30 am    Post subject: Class expectations and Costa Rican culture Reply with quote

Hi,
I'll be heading out to Costa Rica near the end of June and will have just finished a CELTA course. I'm trying to get an idea of the their attitudes toward education, punctuality, etc. What are students' expectations for teachers? What's the culture like? What are students like? How are teachers expected to behave? Is there anything that is completely taboo? What levels do most new teachers teach? How long does it take to get a decent amount of teaching time to cover rent, etc.? Anything else you wish you had known before teaching down there.

Thanks!
Lisette

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been teaching in Costa Rica for a few months now. I found it very easy to get a position so its worth while to check out a few different schools to find the best deal. Most of the teaching jobs here involve going to the students workplace either before they start work early in the morning or after work in the evening. There are lots of jobs in the central valley so don't feel like you have to live right in downtown San Jose. Expect to be offered $6-8 per hour. Most schools seem to only have part-time hours available so you could work for two schools
if you want to work full-time. You could live off part-time pay if your a shoestring traveler and have a little bit of savings. The school will provide you with a coursebook to follow although you are still expected to design your own lesson plan including a game or two. Because the classes are for adult professionals you will be expected to dress professionally and be punctual and so on but my students have been very easy going people so far.
Have Fun,

:)
Cheza

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisette pretty much hit it on the head... If you`re working in the central valley.

Ive been working in a rural area for about 6 months now, I found that getting a job was pathetically easy, because he need for native speakers here is so high. The life here is much more easy going than in the central valley, and much cheaper, but the pay is much less. The teaching jobs Ive seen here pay $3-5 per hour, and there arent really any buisness English courses. I give classes 2 days per week to students from the ages of 8-44. I am expected to be punctual and proffesional, but I suspect that those expectations are much less than in the central valley. My students are great, and there is a great sense of community with everybody here, I often go out to have beers with my co-workers and students.

My job makes me just enough money to cover the bills and buy enough rice and beans to keep me alive. To compensate for this I also giveprivate lessons out of my apartment from 1-6 hours per week. with that I make enough money to be �somewhat comfortable�. I sometimes have to take out a little money from my savings to be able to enjoy myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: