Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Thailand: Advice really needed! :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GreenDestiny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:59 pm    Post subject: Moving to Thailand: Advice really needed! :) Reply with quote

Hello,

I've received several offers and will be moving to Thailand next month. My one-way ticket has been purchased and I really need advice on a few concerns.

1) China Air on a one-way from the States. Does anyone have experience with China Air and will it be okay to receive a 30 Tourist stamp upon arrival? Should I purchase a return air ticket, thus canceling it after arrival? Of course I'd incur cancellation fees, although I'd rather spend the extra $$$ than be turned away.

My main concern is boarding the plane in the States on a one-way, and secondary concern is receiving the 30 Tourist stamp in the BKK airport. Since I don't have the time to acquire a Non-Immigrant Stamp in the states, my plans are to travel to the Thai Embassy in Cambodia or Laos. The school(s) notes that they will provide a letter to do this once in Thailand.

2) If asked at Thai Immigration and/or China Air why I don't possess a return airline ticket, what should I say to them?

a) I'm touring the local Thai temples (which I intend to do) and towns, thereafter purchasing an onward ticket (once in BKK) to Cambodia/Laos to continue my *tour* of Asian temples.

b) I'm intending to purchase a return ticket (to the States) once in BKK.

3) My intent is to travel with a mixture of US Traveler's Cheques, cash and my ATM card. Does this seem to be the best way for one to travel with funds?

Thank you very much for taking the time to read and (hopefully) answer my questions. Cheers!

All the best,
GreenDestiny

Chok Dee.

Last edited by GreenDestiny on Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:59 am; edited 1 time in total
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

China Airlines is fine. I've flown them from the States to Thailand several times, all on one-way tickets. CKS in Taiwan is a boring ol' place to transit though.
As to point number two, you'd have to be really unbelievably unlucky to be asked anything by Thai immigration. Just hand over your passport and you'll get a thirty day stamp. Don't worry.
GreenDestiny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosephP wrote:
China Airlines is fine. I've flown them from the States to Thailand several times, all on one-way tickets. CKS in Taiwan is a boring ol' place to transit though.
As to point number two, you'd have to be really unbelievably unlucky to be asked anything by Thai immigration. Just hand over your passport and you'll get a thirty day stamp. Don't worry.

Thank you Joseph.

Should I convert some US$ to Baht in the States before departure, or once in Thailand?

Should I get my shots (e.g., Hep B) in the States, or after arrival? Medicine is expensive in the US, and I'm planning to utilize the relatively cheap prices in Thailand. Advice?

Chok Dee.

All the best,
GreenDestiny
JosephP

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change your money in Thailand. The Bangkok airport is full of exchange booths. The exchange rates on offer in the States are murderous.

Medical stuff is definitely cheaper in Thailand. Walk into any pharmacy and they'll be happy to fix you up and at a fraction of what it costs in the States. You won't need any prescriptions either.

But my best advice is for you to relax.
GreenDestiny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JosephP wrote:
Change your money in Thailand. The Bangkok airport is full of exchange booths. The exchange rates on offer in the States are murderous.

Medical stuff is definitely cheaper in Thailand. Walk into any pharmacy and they'll be happy to fix you up and at a fraction of what it costs in the States. You won't need any prescriptions either.

But my best advice is for you to relax.

Thanks (yet again) mate. The only reason I've considered getting shots in the States is to avoid feeling ill *after* receiving them in Thailand.

Your advice is well received. Have a super weekend. Cheers.

All the best,
GreenDestiny

Chok Dee.
kenkannif

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Change some money at the airport when you arrive, but generally you'll get a better rate as well IMO!
GreenDestiny

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice mate.

All the best,
GreenDestiny

Chok Dee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: