Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone see the ocean?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turtlepi1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Can anyone see the ocean? Reply with quote

I know it is a little off the "job" topic, but I am working in the UAE and want to make a weekend jaunt to Oman. I want to bring my surfboard but I don't see the point if the ocean is flat.

Any info appreciated.

P.S. Is driving around alone a relatively safe thing to do? My students get a concerned look when I say I am driving and they tell me about ghosts on the road to/in Oman...but they aren't clear what they mean by ghosts and I am still a newbie so I am not always inclined to pursue these sorts of conversations with my female nationals.
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:31 pm    Post subject: Things that go bump in the night. Reply with quote

Never seen any ghosts. Hazards on the road include camels, cattle and maniacs on four wheels.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghosts... Laughing Cool Laughing

I have driven the road from Oman to the UAE many times and nary a ghost to be seen. (the students all have ghosts stories though... mostly about the village of Barka... my favorite has something to do with a teacher being turned into a watermelon...)

I found the biggest danger to be the goats... flocks of them wandering about on the roads on Oman. The UAE has the roads nicely fenced off from the animals.

I used to be able to see the sea from my office window in Oman... never any decent waves that I saw.

Definitely go... it is a great drive with a few looming red sand dunes near Al-Ain and a scenic trip through the mountains on the border. Oman is worth the visit even if you leave the board at home. I hear that there is some good diving.

VS
dialogger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...'teacher into watermelon' mmmm not the other way around?
Must to get to Oman. If VS is a fan it must be good!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... I thought that would get your attention. It seems that her friend recognized her - even though she was a watermelon and took her home on the bus... or something like that. Shocked The problem is that I don't remember if she ever got turned back into a person or not.

I mis-typed (or a senior moment...) and the village with the ghosts is Bahla (not Barka). Bahla is also the city known for its pottery. There used to be a really neat old fort that was a very scenic ruin, but I understand that it has been re-furbished. I quite liked the ruin myself... much of the old city wall is there too.

VS
dialogger

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curiouser and curiouser...
Must look more closely at the watermelons I buy...
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 10 years ago there was a group of young Omani soldiers who went AWOL for a couple of days. When they returned, apparently they'd been transported temporarily over the border into the UAE, turned into goats and had to wander around like that until eventually they were turned back into soldiers. ........ it wasn't our fault we went AWOL, honest, sir.

Then there was the old beardy grandfather who fell asleep late at night in a ditch near Fanja. When he woke up, he was in another village, having been mysteriously transported there. No bottles of any description were found on or about his person ...... I was advised by my students never to pick up old men on the road to give them a lift, as they were most probably a jinn (ghost).

Of course, talk about jinns and ghosts is haram, though Omanis love to whisper about it. VS is absolutely right, Bahla is the place where the major jinns hang out, and any students from Bahla used to get lots of jokes made about them.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing ... loved the soldiers excuse... that is very handy. Do you think the US military would buy "sir, I woke up and I was in Canada..."

Almost all of the students were firm believers because while it is 'haram' to discuss them, the mention of ghosts and jinn in the Quran confirms their existence. So... there you have it!!

VS
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a tree in the suq in Bahla which is chained to the ground to prevent the djinn within from taking it away.

There is another tree in the suq in Nizwa which nobody ever stands near. If you do, you will be turned into a goat.

Outside Ibra, in the village of Al Yahmadi, there is a crazy old man who lives in a house in the date plantation. If you want stories of ghosts, speak to him.

As for the existence of djinn, in the Quran, it is stated that Allah created angels, djinn and humans, not necessarily in that order.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Djinn and tonic. Reply with quote

That explains the existence of Messrs Bush, Blair et al.
Ka`b ibn al-Ashraf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, the Oman coast is not surf friendly. The water is best for floating and swimming. You will be disappointed.

Driving is fine. No worries.

I would like to start a new thread about the supernatural befliefs here, though.
Down Home

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beach at Salalah is good for surfing and sail-surfing most of the year, but not in July and August during Khareef as the ocean then is extremely dangerous.
waygukgaijinhaole

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, wait, wait...

...so the OP's students were actually saying "goats" and not "ghosts"?

Laughing

or was it a typo?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, his students were talking about ghosts...

I was the one who suggested that he had more to fear from 'goats' who meander all over the roads in complete disregard of traffic.

The students often warn us about ghosts or spirits... or djinns as they would call them...

VS
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Lordy!!

I'm in for such a treat when I go out there in a few weeks then!! I'm already looking forward to sleeping on the floor and doing all my washing in the bath (no money to furnish a flat) and now I'm going to have to contend with goats, ghosts and the like! Can't wait to get there now!
AND I'm going to be afraid of ever eating a watermelon again, which is a shame 'cause they keep me going for days!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: