Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NET : Pay scales

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SJW

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: NET : Pay scales Reply with quote

Does anyone have any "definitive" info on how the pay scales are
calculated ?

Especially with reference to the number of teaching years .

I'm thinking that they don't allow anything for MA's (ed/elt), is this so?

Many thanks.
SJW

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back again , and getting more confused.....

Does the MPS include the special allowance or not ??!!

I received the paperwork for the provisional offer today , and the
above makes a big difference in terms of salary ! At first I thought
that they had combined the two , but then thought that this would make
the "base" (or whatever you want to call it ) far too low .....anyone care
to set me straight on this ??!!
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 3:36 pm    Post subject: fyi Reply with quote

hello sjw,
i am not othe best to answer your questions, as i am a new net (starting in august), but from the info that i've received (here) this is what's been said:
your base salary is the salary they offer in your conditional acceptance letter..(starting at 19+thousand)....this does NOT include your monthly allowance. You get $13,000HKD per month ON TOP of your montly salary. In terms of the pay scale, I guess it depends on how many years of teaching experience you have (teaching the target age level...). (So if you are teaching highschool and all your previous experience was teaching kindergarten/adults, i THINK this does not count?) But for any and all your previous teachign experience, you need to have the documents to proove it!

anyways, this is what i've read about this....but....anybody out there who knows firsthand, please correct me if i'm wrong....

hope that helps!
SJW

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Sypanda5.

I've looked at this again .....and came to the same conclussion that
"salary" is separate from total increment.

I was told that NET's can never earn more than $ 50,000 p/mnth (MPS + special allowance) and this after 17 years of teaching.... which is MPS point 29.

Thus it looks as though each point is a year (?!!) This works out ok for me....I go in at point 14 ( which means that they have taken my PGCE and MA in EYL as "equivalent" to the PGDE) and then count up 7 points (teaching years ) to get to 21.

Alternatively the way I arrived at the above could be a fluke !! I'm not sure , and its not spelt out very clearly. Still , either way this offer is better
than the one that I was offered last year. That school was operating within its own budget (? Looks like their are two systems in HK.) and , as I have
worked out now , were only willing to give me a salary based on quals. and 2 years of teaching. I'm really surprised at the lack of uniformity here!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: