Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Planning on Teaching in Brasilia...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLui83

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:51 am    Post subject: Planning on Teaching in Brasilia... Reply with quote

Hey everyone. Im new to the forums. I am currently still in school (college) I will be graduating Fall 2005 semester. I plan on moving to Brasilia after I graduate. (My fiance lives there) I already have a tourist visa. Just for the time being I was thinking about teaching english for some $$$ and to get settled down there.

I have been reading the forum and reading up on other posts and such. This is what I get from everyone, correct me if im wrong please...

I will not need any certificate( ex. tefl) or such to teach. Although if I had one it might help my salary. Most of these english schools will NOT sponsor me in getting a work visa... so I guess all the teaching will be under the table until I marry my fiance.. I believe these were the main things that I got out of everyone's discussions. Oh and the best thing to do to find a teaching job is just to actually go there and ask around. But of course its good to have everything settled before you go (very rare)..

Is there anything else that I would need to keep in mind?
JLui83

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh one more thing to add...

I was born in the US.. have citizen etc.etc... But.. im ethnicity is Chinese.. will this pose as a turnoff for employeers in Brasil or does this not really matter?.....
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get there, track down all the trained and experienced teachers (native and non-native). They will be delighted to help you work out what to do to be a teacher. Ask them for lesson plans and class notes. Experienced teachers like to meet unqualified people who want to be teachers. They will be happy to spend hours with you, telling you how to avoid those unpleasant years of training. Even better, just stop people in the street and offer them English lessons. They will love you, especially if they know it is just for the time being...
fragganika

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector, I'm interested in how english teaching works in different parts of the country. Where in Brazil did you work?

Also, how did you track down your teachers? and Were they private or franchisees or university, etc. ?
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, my teaching was all over the place.

As for teachers, go for the privates, especially if all the business is going to be under the table. Much more rewarding!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: