Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been offered a job - now what?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ls650

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: I've been offered a job - now what? Reply with quote

I also posted this question in the Newbie forum, but it's also specific to Indonesia....

I was interviewed by an Indonesian school a couple of days. The interview went well, and yesterday I received a job offer by email. The email included a copy of the contract I'll be asked to sign. I read through the contract and it looked very similar to other sample contracts I've seen, with no surprises for me.

I've checked out this school on various web sites and it seems to have a pretty good reputation. I emailed back to say I accept the offer and I'm willing to start employment in about one month.

OK - now what happens? Do they courier me a signed contract and I complete it here? Or should I expect a formal letter of offer? Any other comments?

This will be my first TEFL job overseas, and I'm not sure how the paperwork generally works at this point. Question
Winmar

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't sign my contract until I was already in Indonesia. I knew the boss already though, so we trusted each other anyway, and it didn't matter.....

I dunno what you'd have to do though!
tarastwilight

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI .... I think a basic rule of thumb is to make sure the contract is signed by all relevant parties BEFORE you go to Indonesia. It's not uncommon for some points to be changed by the time you get there, although I am in no way suggesting any reputable school would do this. If you haven't had any previous dealings with the school or owner, this is the safest bet. You are quite within your rights to ask them to courier or post it to you (if there's sufficient time), with the School or Academic Director's signature on it. You sign and send it back. Get a receipt for the item and the school should reimburse you (probably in rupiah) for postal costs when you arrive - unless you don't care then don't worry about it.
Also, photocopy the contract after you have signed it in case it gets lost in the mail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: