Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Confused

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piscean21

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Confused Reply with quote

Quote:
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 10:00 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

word has come down from our sister campus in San Jose that the Costa Rican government has issued a zero tolerance in respect to foreigners being issued work visas. All I know is that a number of US and Canadian citizens recently lost their jobs at that private university. So I�ve been told. I�ll go along with moonraven; marrying a Costa Rican may be an alternative . Good luck!

I'm getting mixed messages from people on this subject. I saw this in reply to getting a work visa in CR. I also got this reply:
Quote:
I am presently working in Costa Rica at a university and they have now decided that we all will become ��legal�� or start the process, or we will not work or get paid. The university is footing the bill but we do have to go thru the process of having our certificates authenticated and then we are fingerprinted and criminal record searched. This will probably take a while, But in the mean time, as long as the paperwork is started, we don�t have to do the 90 day visa runs.

i personally have enjoyed leaving the country and seeing Panama and Columbia but i do think that it can get a little pricey. this being compared to what you make in salary here. Buses are cheap enough but food and accomodation add up over 72 hours and then i usually have to take 2 days off work, so there�s loss of revenue.

The government is clamping down on illegal workers and this profession seems to be one it wants to legalize and collect taxes from , from what i�m told from my employers. However, this is Costa Rica and things do take their sweet time here.

Has the current situation changed? Has anyone lost their job? I know I've asked about this several times, but I keep getting different responses from people, which is making me a little wary. I'm perfectly prepared to work illegally, but I'd just like to make sure I've researched this issue as much as possible. sigh...the trouble of being new at all this..
doreenp

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: work visa in CR Reply with quote

I was the one who posted the message about getting work visa's thru the university.

Well the situation has now changed. We all went thru the process, only to be declined by the government for the work visa's. The university stated that we were declined because there are many (35,000 ?) Tico's who are qualified to teach english and therefore the government will not give visa's to foreigners. Understandable.

However, as a result of being declined, we are now forced to give up our jobs here so the university can hire only those who are legally able to work here, namely Tico's.

The advertising of this uni was 100% Northamericano's.... guess that will have to change !

There are still lots of agencies and language schools to work for and no one seems to be to worried about finding other placements. Unfortunately the universities pay the best .

Becoming a resident and getting a working visa is still an option, as soon as i can find a "Tall, dark latin lover" to marry me! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: