Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinidad the Secret of the Caribbean
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Trinidad the Secret of the Caribbean Reply with quote

I thought I would share some info on Trinidad and Tobago for the forum members.

It is the richest Island in the West Indies, multi-racial and cultural and heres the kicker-----it is a gateway for non-english speakers from Latin America and China. The ESL market is underdeveloped but the few schools that they do have are impacted. It is an beautiful country to relocate to but TT gov has a strict immigration policy, unless if your spouse is a National.

If anyone has a chance to visit you surely could pick up some extra cash in the ESL scene or just giving private lessons. This would have to be short-term because work permits are almost impossible to get and visas are about 90 days.

But, one ever wants to plant roots and immigrate then other avenues would be used. And Trinidad is ripe for new Language schools that caters especially to the Venzualians, and Columbians, as well as Cuban medical professionals that go to Trinidad to work.

It is a beautiful Island with beautiful women and men, fresh fruit, rock bottom real estate ( if ya know were to look ) and abundence of public and private schools, nice beaches and Carnival Wink

Michael
C-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Micheal,

I totally agree with you!! Trinidad is Beautiful!! I went there for about a month (like you said their immigration is really strict!). They didn't really want to let me in because I was staying at a friend's house, not at a hotel.

But anyways I agree with you that the ESL is a strong industry down there. But I do have some questions.

You said that the immigration only lets you in for 90 days (I remember the immigration well). Later you said that if you wanted to plant roots and immigrate that other routes could be taken... what are these routes? As far as I know they are really strict and either you are born there, marry a national, or you are out of luck...

I would love to go back (and I know people there, so it would be like good ol' times!) But I never thought it was possible (aside from marraige for citizenship- a real marraige of convenience).
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you had a great time in trinidad, it can be wonderful place!

As far as immigration is concerned, you can always can get an extension with your passport. I never had problems and they usually give you a 3 month extension quite easily.

You could also just take off for the afternoon and catch a fairy to Venezuala and then come back, or catch a flight their or to another amazingly beautiful Caribbean country in the area. The flights to surrounding islands is real cheap!

You could also buy property, which will allow your stay to be longer.
I just purchased a property, 5600sq ft lot for under 10,000 USD in the south. Put a little shack on it or shed, lol and you can say you have a vacation home--that will gaurentee a atleast 6 year.

As far as property, it can get real expensive in certian areas, so ya got to know were to look. If you need any help let me know.

Also, as you probably know the Women are beautiful, so a convenience thing might not be a bad deal if your single.

The biggest thing with immigration is that you just need to know how to handle people..they can get real hard but I have personally flipped the script with some of them and made some real good friends and once your in with them, it is not as hard as I made it sound. Trini people will bendf over backwards for you once they consider you a friend. Smile
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 3:41 pm    Post subject: Catching a fairy to Venezuela Reply with quote

With Tinkerbell Airlines, presumably. Wink
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grahamb,

Yeah, Island hopping may leave you opt to Tinkerbell Air inc. But statistically it is very safe. Boating is cool, leave out of Chaguramus but takes much longer. Cool
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:09 am    Post subject: Fairies Reply with quote

I was actually referring to the misspelling of "ferry."
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, ha, that was a good one! Laughing
Got it a day late though but still funny. Yeah, I am horrible for editing here. I know I should pay attention but after 8 hours of editing and teaching, I just want to let loose and just type and not think about spelling, grammer or punctiation-
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:22 am    Post subject: Dedication. Reply with quote

I take my hat off to anyone who's got enough energy for the ESL Cafe after an 8-hour day.
darkside1

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just thank Trinidad and Tobago for giving me the pleasure of supporting a Scotland v England clash in next year's world cup in Germany?

Okay, that would be T+T internationalist Jason Scotland who plays for St. Johnstone in the Scottish league- big Marvin Andrews (Rangers) and the mercurial Russell Latapy (Falkirk) are also playing.

A fantastic achievement for a small nation to make it to the finals and I can guarantee that a few beer cans will hit the roof if you score against Eng-er-land.

BTW, I feel England may be capable of a medal, but mind you Ally Mcleod said that about Scotland in Argentina in 1978...
Trinencadian

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

umm..I am wondering if there are two Trinidads - the one where I come from and the one y'all are talking about. The Trinidad I know is a place I would be hesitant to recommend to foreigners to go. But if you insist on going, at the very least, read up on its newspapers online (ie the Trinidad express and the trinidad guardian) and get a feel for all the crap that goes on there.
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRiniCadian,

We are talkinga bout he same Trinidad. I have lived there in local community, bought property, worked for the MOE, limed, had stags, wined, road in Maxis and H-cars, hung out with the rastas, african and Indian Trinis, ate and limed with the chinese and venezualians, wined to soca and walked down empty streets at 1 am.

Trust me it is not as bad as people think. A matter of fact it is safer in Trinidad than it is in Northern California.

Without saying it, I know your referring to the kidnappings, killings etc.
It does happen, but it happens everywere else also.

I am ready to buy my second peace of land in the deep south ( Princes Town ). And everyday I am in the states, I miss Trinidad even more.

I am not saying it is EDENIC, but it is sweet.
Trinencadian

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't get me wrong - Trinidad is absolutely gorgeous (have you been to Maracas Valley/Beach yet? And had the shark&bake there? OMG - I miss that soooo much), the food is the best thing on the face of the earth, no where in the world is there more multi-culturalism (even beats out the USA and Canada in my opinion), and the culture is fantastic. Unfortuately Trinidad is a country that is wealthy from its oil but it has major problems with wealth distribution - which is why even though it has no right to, it is a Third World country. So we have a situation where the middle class and upper class minority are prancing around in denial while the lower class and poorer majority are frustrated - that's why on an island of a million people there were almost 400 murders in 2005 (not too many countries can beat that ratio) and countless of kidnappings. Did you ever notice that people do not stop at red lights as soon as it gets dark? And did you notice that people have dogs that are not pets, and those that can afford it, have bars on all doors and windows and gates surrounding their property, along with multiple security guards in flack jackets with guns? I love meh country but it pisses me off with all its baccahnal but at the same time, meh country is sweet too bad! Just don't do what Trinis wouldn't do - I don't want to read about you in the paper!

I'm assuming you will be cheering with us for the Soca Warriors this June? The one thing I didn't know about Trinidad was that the ESL industry is strong there, as some one mentioned earlier. Did you teach? Where?
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrinCadian,

First greetings my brother, it is good to talk to someone from home.
While I was not born there, in my time there I became an honory Trini to the bone.

Oh yes, the BakeNshark is oooh, and I still remember the little dugla girl that sold it to me-she was also georgeous! And Yes Maracas is great! But I tend to favor the deep south, Princes Town, New Grant, Muraga, lulane etc. The live there is much different than in central. The crime is very low in these areas compared to the rest of Trinidad and most other areas that I have lived in. But the cops are real slack! LOL Smile

I agree the wealth distribution is not equal. I have friends from all social classes and I have been in there homes and there is a difference...a big difference. I remember one day I was hanging out in Mandingo at a friends who did not have an indoor bathroom and the house looked like a medium sized hut----Later that night I was with some Indian friends of mine who had a second home in Gulf city with 5 bedrooms and pool!
And I noticed being percieved as white, I had access to things and places some others did not ( I am Italian and Spanish).

One of the exciting things though about the social landscape from a social worker/policist perspective is that Trinidad is in its infancy for social programs compared to the US and I can't wait to see their programs develop further. When I was there I taught career counsling and social studies classes, did counseling workshops and crisis intervention.. I even had a extened job offer, a 5 year contract to lead their school counseling and social work program in Victoria County but declined because my grandmother was in the states with a terminal condition.

The gates and bars....yes, this has been going on for a long time even before the KU. But don't let the bars fool ya, the people behind the bars are just as eager to invite you in and share some of their sweet warm trini hospitality and love.

But the social landscape is so interesting. For instance, how many people in New York would take a Taxi at 1am in the morning crammed with 5 youths in it? In the deep south it happens all the time but that is the life in smaller rural communities were most people know eachother and their is a unwritten law of trust and samarity.

And yes go Soca Warriors!
Mchristophermsw

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trincadian.
I taught at Princes town senior sect.
Trinencadian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

You're "from" the south? I am a Northern girl actually (St. Joseph, Arima, Maracas Valley).

Yeah the cops ARE real slack - you know why, though, right? They be cops by day and the criminals by night. So ridiculous. And it is interesting that you mentioned the race issue - it is sad that a multicultural country like T'dad is still pretty racist (like every other country, I guess). I am Trini but I still want to slap meh country upside de head! Wink

Have you noticed who the Soca Warriors are playing against in June? They are so going to lose Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: