Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trinidad the Secret of the Caribbean
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacherdude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:52 pm    Post subject: Trinidad Reply with quote

I lived in Maracas Valley as a kid.

My cousins lived in St. Joseph.

But I am a town boy Smile Spent most of my time in Diego Martin.

But left for Canada in 1985.

TT is a very dangerous country and you must be careful.

The crime is astronomic and the criminals can be brutal.

It can be so much wors in the rural areas where there isn't a strong police presence.

The flip side is that the partying, women and Trini hospitality is the best in the world.

I worked in Bogota, Colombia for six months and LOVED it. Because I used my head and listened to the locals. My Colombian friends got mugged more than me. Of course I consider myself lucky.

You can have A LOT of fun in TT. But it is no paradise, with a murder a day and regular kidnappings.

Do some research and speak to the locals.

Teacher Dude
Warrior10

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinidad is a delightful place to live and work - the lifestyle is very laid back, the people are friendly and helpful, and there is enough natural beauty (rainforest mountains, waterfalls, beaches and hiking trails) to keep you occupied. If you think the beaches in Trinidad are nice, wait till you go to Tobago - a mere 20 mine plane ride away, costing about $200 TT (or $50 CAN)

The major cities and towns have great nightlife (clubs, bars, lounges) and any sport you like is played there (except baseball). Football and cricket is especially big.

ESL is not a burgeoning field there as the island's first language is English - but if you speak Spanish or French, you can get a job.
(I've lived & worked there for a few years).

This is a country that has potential to be another Singapore, in terms of economics.

The women are beautiful.

People go out of their way to help you and as for the crime, they are largely isolated incidents involving local disputes. As in any country, befriend some worthy locals and you'll have an unforgettable experience.
caramel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I know that ESL may or may not be a burgeoning industry in Trinidad, but I am wondering what are the best places to get a job teaching English? Can anyone recommend any language schools and universities??
Alix

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never imagined there would be EFL work in T&T... I was born in Port of Spain in 1968, would that help with visa status? I have a UK passport and British parents. I've never seen jobs advertised there, is it a matter of being there and getting known?
If one were working in Latin America, would it be fairly easy to come over and check out the scene?
Sorry for all the questions, you've got me all excited.
Yogita

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinidad is an English speaking country, well almost with all the dialect & slang lol .... I'm from Trinidad too & I teach in Turkey ... came from paradise to go to paradise ... nice to meet you all tc xo
dudeteacher

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I was in TT and there were two ESL schools near Port of Spain.

One was in St. James on the Western Main Rd.
The other on Mucurapo Rd.

There is an ESL industry in TT as many Venezuelans come over as a cheaper option to the US.

However, I've never seen a TT school advertise.
Sorry can't remember the names of the schools.

I seeing people saying that crime is isolated in TT.
This is rubbish. Crime is quite high, lots of rape and drug mafia.

I have lawyers, policemen and judges in my family in TT. That's irrelevant, just read a damn TT newspaper.

Simply speak to the locals and do as they say.
The criminals can be very sophisticated, eg. following you from the airport, dressing as police officers or even using a "damsel in distress."

Not trying to discourage anyone but simply keep your wits about you and never assume you know. Let the locals be your barometer.

Dude
biped

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. I'm Trinidadian and I just want to echo the sentiments of those who are encouraging foreigners not to go. ESL is a very tiny market, targeted primarily at Latin Americans who come over to study, as someone mentioned. If you have an MA TESOL and experience, you could try the Center for Language Learning at the University of the West Indies. Proficiency in Spanish will work in your favor. Just to reiterate, we're an English speaking country. There's no other official language. Though for some reason I'm off teaching ESL in Asia at the moment and I have to work extra hard to be recognized as a legitimate English speaker.

The main reason I'd discourage anyone from living there is the safety. Yes the adventurous will be quick to say that there's crime everywhere etc. But you don't understand. While it is a beautiful country with an intriguing culture, great food and a lot of resources, we're going through a period of rapid social change right now that leaves everything in chaos. It gets worse every year. I've had an AK47 in my face before. Luckily I lived through it. When I went to Japan on the JET Programme, the other Trinis and I traded stories about our friends and family members who had been murdered. That's just a reality for most people. I love my country immensely and wish I could live there. Most of my friends who are still there would get out if they had options. Even my most patriotic friends are migrating after trying for many years to stay and make it a better place. We're in the top ten in the world for murder and a transhipment point for drugs coming from South America to North America. Because it's such a tiny country, it's hard to avoid the violence unless you live behind walls and barbed wire (and many do). I'm not averse to adventure. I've traveled as a single woman through some of the most shady places in the world. I'm also enjoying my time in Vietnam right now. But Trinidad is not adventure. It's suicide.

Another factor is the astronomical cost of living. It seems to get worse every month. I could not afford an apartment when I went back home last summer. I ended up paying the same price for one room in a shared house in a dangerous area as an entire apartment in a nice part of Japan. Many grocery items were more expensive than Japan and most things were more expensive than some countries in Europe. It just doesn't make sense financially to live there unless you're earning huge sums or doing something sinister or corrupt (like many are). I honestly don't know how my friends make ends meet.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trinidad is a Banana Republic...lots and lots of bananas around...and more...you might end of going BANANAS there looking for work as an EFL teacher...even the EFL wages are BANANAS if you are lucky enough to find a job!!! Shocked Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: