Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to France for Grad School/teach English on the side?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carmenz

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: Moving to France for Grad School/teach English on the side? Reply with quote

Hi,

I have been accepted into a university in France for a grad school program. Now I need to find a way to pay for myself there. I will get loans for the tuition, but I I'd rather work full time to pay for rent and other things. I have experience as an English teacher. I taught for a few years. I am American. I understand that I can get a student work visa for France. I am wondering what my chances are of getting an English teaching job in France when I get there. Is my 19.5 hours allowance a week on a student work visa good enough for some of these English schools? Will they hire me on that to work full-time? And how much money do you think I can make monthly if I find a job teaching at a private English school? Lastly, does anybody else have any other suggestions on making money while I am in France?

Thanks for any help!!
daily chai

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Private students are a possibility. Get business cards right away stating your degrees, and hand them out whenever you meet someone who appears that they wish they knew better English. I know a lot of health professionals here in Taiwan who want to know English to drum up foreign clientele, or to publish in international journals. Grad students also are keen for copyeditors before publishing their thesis abstracts or publications.

If you work FT that will change your visa status to a "stronger" visa, a working one. But it will be a huge challenge to get one. That will be an unexpcted surprise, but not a likelihood at all. Also, you would have to return to your country of residence to change your visa. It wouldn't be good enough to make a visa run to Turkey as a tourist.

It's far more likely you could find work within the hours you're allowed to work, and have to subsidize your cost of living with student loans. I did this in the Netherlands. Good luck!
NMB

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we eligible for American student loans if enrolled in a foreign university?
daily chai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if they have an agreement with the US government. You can discover this by checking www.fafsa.ed.gov and Search for Your School. If it's listed, US students can go there and get Stafford loans. I did this at Leiden Unversity in the Netherlands. Good luck!
annelise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: question about MA in Paris Reply with quote

I'm sorry I don't have much info on working in France but I do have a question. Did you apply directly to a French University for Graduate School or is it an American program in France? I am interested in graduate programs in Paris (psychology and French). I want to see what my options are...if I could apply to a French University it would probably be much cheaper, but I would really need to improve my French before that. Any info would help. Thanks and good luck to you. I wish I had info for you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: