Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

moving to France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michellem

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: moving to France Reply with quote

Hello,

I have been married to a Frenchman for 5 years and we are moving there in July, probably to the 95 area, although that depends on if he is accepted into the police. i worked in France in 98/99 as part of the language assistant exchange program (1 year). since then i have taught ESl to new Canadian Immigrant (2.5 years) in Tunis (1 year) and I am currently teaching Adult Education (1year) i have a BA major French, minors math and Psych as well as a B. Ed after degree, so I have a total of Bac+5, but no Tefl. Will it be difficult for me to find a job? I would like to continue with adults. I love teaching and I would teach kids if I had to, but it is not my first choice.

Does anybody have any suggestions?

michelle
DME

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not a pro at this by any means, but I just moved here with my French husband and will tell you what my experience has been. We moved in January, went to apply for my carte de sejour the day after we arrived with all the necessary paperwork, and got my temporary 'card' 4 and a half months later. I don't know if this is helpful or not, but it's quite likely you'll have some time to look around and figure out your options before you're *legally* able to work.

I think it depends on a variety of factors, but since you were an assistant, have ESL experience and an education degree you'll probably be able to find work, at the very least teaching Business English. Your ability to speak French will help as well. My sense is that there's work for good teachers about at different language schools, but I still have no idea how to go about trying to work for a public school other than showing up and trying to get an appointment with the principal. When you get here, do a search for language schools using the yellow pages and just target those.

As well you can always put up notices for tutoring/conversation lessons at the local library and public schools. If you have any time, you might put together a short teaching portfolio (copies of your diplomas, letters of recommendation, student work etc.) so they'll know you're serious as a teacher. I would also think good letters of references from your time as an assistant would help tremendously as well. Hope this helps...where is 95? That's a suburb of Paris, isn't it?
michellem

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: thanks for the info Reply with quote

Your reply was very helpful. I was wondering how long it takes for a carte de sejour. 4.5 months is a pretty long time. I will arrive in France with my Livret de Famille, and a social security number because I have worked in France before. i really hope that this will speed things up.

95 is a suburb of Paris but i would prefer not going back and forth to Paris to work since we have a daughter who will begin preschool in the fall.

I have a pretty good porfolio already, so I really hope that will help me. Do you suggest I get everything translated? Do they require the University transcripts as well as the certificates?

If you don't mind me asking, where did you move to in France?

thank you for your reply
DME

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long it takes to get your carte de sejour may be more of a factor of where you apply -- it may take longer if there are lots and lots of people waiting in front of you. We applied this January in 91 (Essone), and brought everything we needed the first time we visited the Prefecture. Even though we already had everything with us, they told us we had to come back mid-April (I counted wrong, actually, it was only 3 and a half months) because that was the earliest appointment they had. The good news is that I actually got my carte de sejour during the official appointment. The man before us didn't bring photocopies and he had to make another appointment for 2 months later. I don't want to worry you, but be prepared to wait and make sure you bring copies of everything. Your social security number may help, but I don't know that it will speed things up by a lot because getting the actual appointment is the most time-consuming aspect.

I'll ask my husband and local friends what they know about 95. I'm currently living in 78 and am not working, but don't get the sense by any means that it will be impossible. I'm waiting to see what will happen with one possibility, and then will start looking for work that will start in September if this doesn't pan out. I might not get to do what I really want at first (work with children), but I think once I get to know more people things will open up. People have approached me about giving private conversation lessons, so I'm sure if I put up notices I could get plenty of work that way to at least tide us over.

I don't actually know that they required a copy of my diplomas and ESL teaching license; I just provided it and I think it's a good idea to have it. I doubt anyone would ask for transcripts. As for translating, I don't know yet if it will be necessary, but my guess would be that it's not, really. I got a resume together in French, but in my one experience the people at the language school speak great English and just said not to worry about it and send along what I had.

Also, take a look at this link for an idea of what jobs are posted around the Paris region: http://www.fusac.fr/en/ Click on "Read the big [small] ads." If I can think of anything else, I'll send it along...
d moon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Some advice Reply with quote

First of all I admire you're passion for teaching which I can't say I really share. What I can share is my experience dealing with language schools in Paris.

First of all, with your wealth of qualifications and experience you will have no trouble finding a job. What you might find a little depressing are the salaries being offered which are quite frankly insulting. I spent the last year in China and I was making more per hour there than even the highest paying school offered as a starting salary here. Oh, and as I'm sure you know the cost of living is considerably higher in France.

As far as teaching in a college or lyc�e is concerned by all means pursue that path. I just spent a few days with a friend who teaches History to 14 year olds, and although she moans about the student, (le pire d'enfance et le pire d'adulte m�lang�e, sans limites et sans sagesse), she has a wonderful lifestyle: 4 months vacation, a reasonable salary and all the wonderful benefits that the French state provides. You'd probably just need to do an education degree here in France.

As far as your legal status is concerned, don't worry about the carte de s�jour, you will get a recipiss� that allows you to work as soon as you start the application. Even if you're missing documents at the meeting at the prefecture they'll just renew it again until your next appointment.
michellem

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the reasons I want to teach in a college or lycee is the summer time off. I have been checking the salaries on the anpe.fr website and they are not as high as i am used to. When I was teaching ESL in Tunis, i was making 10x the average wage. Fortunately my husband is working so I am not trying to do this on my own.

Thanks for the info,
michelle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: