Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in the Ukraine (L'viv)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Teaching in the Ukraine (L'viv) Reply with quote

Hi,

I was in L'viv a couple days ago for a visa run - I currently teach in Poland.

I really liked the city and the beautiful (but undermaintained) architecture, the bustling town square in the evening, the fact that on one spoke English - quite refreshing. I speak some Polish so I could communicate a bit.

What is the teaching situation like in L'viv? I'm American, have a BA in English and a CELTA and I'm working on my DELTA. I have just over two years teaching experience.

Is it possible for me to work legally? Is a visa/work permit easy to get? (It's not easy to get these things in Poland if you're American)

What monthly income could I expect?

What is the cost of renting a small flat near the center per month?

Are private students easy to get?

Is there any kind of expat community?

Thanks.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked for IH there many moons ago. I can't recommend the city or the school enough; lived there two years and loved every minute of it. Not sure what current conditions at the school are, however.
Check it out: http://ihlviv.com/index.php
beachguy69

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:22 pm    Post subject: Get a work permit or do not come Reply with quote

If the school does not offer you a work permit do not come. All visa's are 90 days in the country then you must leave for 90 days.
I hope this helps.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your reply is a bit garbled.

If you don't have a visa, you can be in the country only 90 days out of 180. If you have a visa you can stay for the entire duration specified (that's the point of getting a visa).
beachguy69

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: I am sorry you are wrong - NEW RULES Reply with quote

Both Visa's, Tourist and Buiness are treated the same. You can come for 90 days then you must leave for 90 days and then you may return for another 90 days. But you cannot stay for more then 90 days at a time and not more then 180 days in a year.
The only exception to this new rule is to have a work visa.....
I had a Business visa for a year....but I had to go get a work visa or I would not be allowed to return to Ukraine for 90 days.....
If you think this information is not true - Please go to the Ukraine Embassy web page.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa info you all have posted sounds all too familiar - it is the same situation as Poland, at least with regards to non-EU nationals.

But the authorities can be a bit lax enforcing this 90-in, 90-out rule. I don't know if it is the same in the Ukraine.

How easy is it to find a school willing to help with a work visa in Ukraine? It took me over a month to find a school willing to help me in Poland.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone comment on how easy it is to find a school that will help provide a visa?
beachguy69

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Finding a school to help Reply with quote

I think if you are not working in Kiev you will find it very difficult to find any school willing to do this. Good Luck
Master Shake

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding a school to help Reply with quote

beachguy69 wrote:
I think if you are not working in Kiev you will find it very difficult to find any school willing to do this. Good Luck

So are you implying that L'viv, a city with 750,000 people, has no native speakers teaching there? Or are teachers just teaching illegally? I'm not doubting you, but I would like some more info.
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was there--admittedly 7 years ago--there were three native speakers (not counting Peace Corps volunteers) in the whole city: Myself, a missionary who also taught, and my DOS.
IH L'viv does have some native speakers on their web site though.
beachguy69

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: No Work Permits Reply with quote

Yes, I am saying that most of the teachers in the Ukraine do not have work permits. I am in a city of over one million people. I think only one teacher in the city has a work permit.
I also think many teachers trying to come back to Ukraine after the holiday in January will be stuck at the bolder. The new law says 90 days in and 90 days out.......
I am not happy about this myself. I have been here for almost two years on a business visa. I am in the middle of the process of getting a work permit.
Good Luck
chromium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any reputable shcool is going to do the paperwork for you and provide accomodation, regardless of the city.

I would not even consider working for a school that did not do both.

It is not the visa that is the main issue, however, it is the work permit.

I have a 5 year multi-entry visa, but it means nothing when coming into the country without the requisite work permit stamps in your passport.

Strangely, it is more cumbersome and expensive for Brits than for Americans. Being in the EU or not does not make much difference here.
chromium

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would also have to disagree with Beachguy regarding legality.

British council, IH, and LSE (Educational Solutions) - the 3 biggest in Ukraine - all only hire legally.

No good school would hire illegally and make the teahers do border runs every 3 months. Plus you only have 180 total days within a year, no matter how many times you cross the border.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: