Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice, re: employment in Valpo- wat r the pre requisites??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelita

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Advice, re: employment in Valpo- wat r the pre requisites?? Reply with quote

Holap,
I am going to Chile in November, and I am planning to do some holidaying as all my family are in Chile.
I actually have a 12 mth ticket and so i am able to stay in chile for that time, though, I would really like to find some teaching employment.

I have a Bach of Education (Habilitation) and I this is my last year in my postgraduate Social Work course. Would I find it hard to find any jobs.

Can you please advise me of what I need in order to find some and if so, some details.
I am from Australia, so I would like to see if I could get some connections when I arrive in Chile.

Thanks heaps. Any help will be appreciated!
Weona

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a degree will help but do you have any ESL teaching experience? That's what it they most look for here. If you're looking to come to Valpo, it will be difficult to find work as there just aren't many language institutes around but there are many universities.

Having said this, finding work will also be difficult due to your length of stay. They don't like people coming in, teaching for a few months, then leaving. Many people do this but it is mostly done in Santiago and they are willing to receive the lowest of low in pay. Pay that will probably not sustain normal living conditions here.

Your best best for finding a teaching gig would be in Santiago as there are many more opportunities there. However, it isn't the best place to vacation. Since you have a degree and hopefully some experience, you won't have too much trouble but I can't tell you how much of a vacation it will end up being if you'll end up living in "the big city".

Also, December is when summer vacation begins and schools are generally not hiring. February and March are your best bet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: