Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it possible to save money...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ctmiezio

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: is it possible to save money...? Reply with quote

Hi everybody, I've been offered 1000 rials a month which I gather from this forum is a good salary. There is no housing included.

I gather that Muscat is rather expensive and so I'm wondering how realistic it would be for a single guy to save money. Considering I need the obligatory breather in Thailand and a trip home once a year.

How much have you guys been able to save per year, and what kind of lifestyle would saving entail? Ideally I would like to save about US$500 a month and lead a comfortable lifestyle (eating out, having fun, etc)

I'd really appreciate any comments and it would help me decide whether to accept this offer, or whether I should accept an offer in Saudi, where I know I can save.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ct

Let's see... the first year you will need to buy furniture and a car. So, realistically you can't expect to save too much the first year. You should be able to get a decent, simple flat for 175-250 a month depending on location. My basic living expenses were about 120-150 a month for food, petrol, electric, phone, and internet.

That leaves about 600 OR or US$1500 a month to spend on what you want. You can easily save your 500, party a bit, and make a trip during semester break... unless you are a heavy boozer and expect to eat every night in a 5* hotel. Laughing

Don't you also get a ticket home every year in your contract?? That salary is not enough to cover the exclusion of this usual benefit.

As to whether or not to choose a Saudi job, that would depend on whether you are male or female - what Saudi job - what job in Oman - what your credentials are - etc. Personally I would take any Oman job over any Saudi job, but that is just an opinion. Everyone has to weigh their own personal pros and cons.

VS
mci

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:04 am    Post subject: save in Oman Reply with quote

ct

VS is correct on the numbers, although the rent is a bit high - depending on where you want to live in Muscat, you shouldn't have to pay even 175 - for that kind of money, you can get a single bedroom furnished apt. in the best areas. The furnishings won't likely be to your taste so you'll spend some to spiff the place up but not too much. In many areas, you could get a 2 bedroom villa for 250.

You do need a car and eating and drinking out can add up pretty quickly but still, you should easily save 500 US$ ( under 200 OMR).

mci
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Travelling to Thailand would be VERY cheap- you could get a weeks package deal for around 300 Omani Riyals-bargain if you ask me! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: