Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So, can Americans teach in Cuba now?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeterDragon

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 am    Post subject: So, can Americans teach in Cuba now? Reply with quote

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110521/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/cb_cuba_more_americans

Interesting...
geaaronson

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The link has been removed from the web. I sure would love to read it because I am half considering moving there myself. My guess is that you would be in big trouble with the US Federal government if you went there to teach as you would be in trouble if you even visited.

Americans who illegally go to Cuba, fly to Cancun or Jamaica first, then take a plane from there to Havana. The Cuban authorities want the US tourist trade, including the illegal entrants, so they will refrain from stamping your passport so that US Customs never becomes aware you`ve done the illegal. My conjecture is that once Fidel passes away, Obama, if he is still prez will legalize relations between him and Raul and there won`t be much problem. My guess also, is that there will be a sudden horrific demand for EFL teachers as their tourism industry gears up for an influx of American tourists.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can hope. I have visited Cuba, and would live there in a heartbeat, to be honest. But I wonder if the change is going to be as radical as you expect. There are plenty of English speaking tourists in Cuba already, and they haven�t seemed to have a great need for English. I saw only ONE advertisement for English classes the whole time I was there. And, I wonder if American�s will go. I haven�t met anyone who seemed the least bit interested in hearing about my trip to Cuba when I was in the US earlier in the summer. But who knows. And, not the split hairs, but it�s not illegal for Americans to VISIT Cuba, it�s illegal to SPEND MONEY in Cuba, so I think if you had Cuban friends who invited you and hosted you, and you didn�t spend any money on anything, you might be OK. Or, if your spouse is a citizen of a country that is allowed to travel to Cuba (that would be the rest of the world, by the way) and pays for your trip to Cuba with money earned in his country, and again, you didn�t spend any money, the Treasury Department couldn�t do anything about your BEING in Cuba, your non-U.S. citizen spouse is perfectly free to spend all the money he wants in Cuba.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Caribbean Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: