Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doha Academy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hajiatif

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Doha Academy Reply with quote

Hi All,

New member to the Discussion Forum. Very Happy

I just wanted everyone to know Doha Academy. My wife and I had been offered a job at Doha Academy and we had signed the contracts. My wife and I both left our jobs to move to Qatar. Few weeks before we were due to leave, we were told that they were going to cancel our contract as my wife was not able to obtain a visa. They were dealing with all visa issues. We argued that I am willing to go on my own as we both do not have a job and we have given notice to our rented accommodation.
But they were not having any of it. This happened last August 2004. It has taken us more the 6 months to get back to normal again. i.e. finding new place, new jobs in the UK.
I would advice anyone who wishes to work for Doha Academy, that they do not, as they will say one thing and do another.

What I would like some advice on is, what could I have done to prevent this?
Please help.
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds awful-I'd be well annoyed Mad
I think, my advice would be make sure you check out the schools/colleges on the net or by doing a google search! I was offered a job with ADU (They were lovely at the interview btw and charmed my socks off) but once I did a google and read about the horror stories on here - I just said, la shukran !!! Cool
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hajiatif,

Awful story, but unfortunately not all that uncommon. The usual cause for this late kind of problem is that for some reason one of you did not pass the security check. And that sounds like what happened here and that is why they wouldn't even let your wife come in as your spouse and not an employee.

I fear that even checking out them out here on the board may not have saved you this problem. I know of this happening with some of the most reputable employers. They usually have no control over the security apparatus. I only know of one person who managed to overcome this problem. Her current employer - another Middle East government - informed her new employer that she was a spy. Shocked It was all because they didn't want her to leave. But, she was an old Middle East hand and went directly to the top man at her old job - and made such a stink that they corrected it and she went on to her new job in the Gulf.

You may or may not run into the same problem if you try another gulf country. So, it may not be Doha Academy's fault at all. But, it is always good advice to check carefully on any new employer here.

Glad to hear that you have your lives back under control.

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was under the illusion that Doha Ac. had a good name
hajiatif

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 7:47 am    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Hi All,

Thank You for your response.

What i would say is that they even refused to give me a job after my wife could not get a visa there. nevertheless, i am glad i am on my two feet again. Very Happy

Can anyone here give me advice on what would be the best way to apply for posts for Sept 2006? I am graduate with teaching experince of ICT, History and Media Studies and will have two years of eaching ecperince by Sept 2006.

I look forward to hearing from you all very soon.

Many Thanks.
Hajiatif
lionbrian

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Thank You Reply with quote

[quote="hajiatif"]Hi All,

What i would say is that they even refused to give me a job after my wife could not get a visa there.

Just wondering!!!!!!!!!!!
Why didn't your wife get a visa?
hajiatif

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

lionbrian, thank you for your interest.
I am a Uk Citizen but my wife is not. She has a indef to stay in UK.Her paersnt are in Doha, Qatar and she has lived in Doha for 10 years. what we were told was that there is a block on all Pakistani passport holders. Which was rubbish as my father-in-law told as he is GM of a comapny there. So it was really hard to swallow that story.
Again we are not detered and are looking foward to working there in Sept 2006 or even in other Gulf countires.

Hence any adivce or job links woul dbe GREAT Razz

Many Thanks,
Hajiatif
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah... your wife has the wrong passport... well, that explains it. I fear that you will run into this problem all over the Gulf. What are your chances of getting her a passport that matches yours or does that take a few years? That would get rid of the problem.

I doubt that many of us on here would know about jobs in your field as we are all ESL/EFL teachers. Good Luck...

VS
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may well have blocked your wife's nationality for a teaching job. The fact that someone with the same nationality, such as your father-in-law, is already employed would be irrelevant.

The wife's nationality is certainly irrelevant in Saudi as far as spousal visas are concerned. I suspect that your employer may have decided to go for another married couple rather than trying to just replace your wife.
hajiatif

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for message Stephen,

I totally understand what you are trying to say. What I meant by saying that my father-in-law is a GM and with a foreign nationality that he was recruiting at the time and he had no problems recruiting people with Pakistani passport holders.

I also understand that they may have decided to get another couple rather than just employ me but that really messes me about as at that point I was almost homeless and jobless.

My wife has been in this country for over 8 years and we plan to sort her nationality out and that should resolve the problem.

Please do not think that I am bitter about my experiences, rather on the contrary I have learnt a great deal from it and wish others not to make the same mistake as we have.

I hope this helps someone at least. Laughing

Hajiatif
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: