Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

making money in asia?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d-rail

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:16 pm    Post subject: making money in asia? Reply with quote

i was wondering if i could get some advice on a few things. i am buying a house in a few months so my situation demands that i make a fair amount of money. i am considering getting a teaching job in either S. Korea, Japan, Taiwan, or Hong Kong. I have a university degree and got my major was in TEFL. my question is this: what country would be the most profitable? I am obviously not into teaching to make lucrative amounts of money, but this first year i need to have a little more financial security. If anyone has any suggestions i am open and am greatful for any advice given. thank you
darrell
JoeJ

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan or Korea would be your best bets, although you're probably not going to be able to tuck much money away, especially your first year. Try to get a job that includes living accomodations.
junkmail

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Japan, Korea, Taiwan or maybe Hong Kong, any of them will give you financial security.

Korea's experiencing a few problems right now though, making money got alot harder.
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JoeJ wrote:
Japan or Korea would be your best bets, although you're probably not going to be able to tuck much money away, especially your first year. Try to get a job that includes living accomodations.

I think if you are only looking at a year, Korea would be a much better place to save money (while compared to Japan). You most likely won't have set up costs like Japan and in Korea they will pay for your flight, which is not always the case in Japan unless you work at one of the big chain schools. Long term teaching, then maybe Japan might be better, but everyone has their own experiences and opinions.
junkmail

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would basically agree with what Gordon wrote but bear in mind that immigration are making it really hard to do 'extra' work in Korea at present, so don't bank on making much more than your salary. When I first arrived it was a gold mine for anyone with the will to work hard.
Glenski

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly how much would you need to send home?

Starting out at square one in Japan, you can expect to earn 250,000 yen/month (or slightly higher). You will burn half of that on basic necessities, leaving you with 125,000 or so to play around with. How much of that you SAVE (or send home) is up to your lifestyle and personal demands.

If you get outside work (private lessons, usually), you can increase that take-home salary, but you will be working an awful lot and have little time to enjoy the foreign country where you live. Plus, getting private lessons is not easy or quick for newcomers with no contacts or reputation, and they are not the most stable venue for making money.
junkmail

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With Korea, you usually get paid 2 million Won per month with your apartment thrown in. Of this you lose 10% in medical, tax and pension. Assume 120000 lost each month in utilities (varies alot), and that leaves you with 1.6 million Won. Of this you'll definitely be able to save some, and as much as 1 million a month if you don't get out much.

Privates are available, but being busted is all too common at the moment.
cevanne

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can tuck quite a bit of money away in Japan if you don't while away your hours in the local bar. I agree with the others. Salaries are about 250,000 yen and you spend about half of that on living. Depends how thrifty you are on how much you save Smile I don't know about the rest of Japan, but in Osaka there are a couple of really good agencies that can hook you up with privates. My friend signed up with one and in only 4 days already had 2 privates. I don't know about the legalities/taxes related to this though.
PAULH

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cevanne wrote:
You can tuck quite a bit of money away in Japan if you don't while away your hours in the local bar. I agree with the others. Salaries are about 250,000 yen and you spend about half of that on living. Depends how thrifty you are on how much you save Smile I don't know about the rest of Japan, but in Osaka there are a couple of really good agencies that can hook you up with privates. My friend signed up with one and in only 4 days already had 2 privates. I don't know about the legalities/taxes related to this though.

Are you talking about Findateacher.net? Quite legal. Its just a way of bringing student and teacher into contact with one another and the students pay the company to be put in touch with the teacher. You charge what you like but you dont really pay any taxes on it unless you set yourself up as a school and start deducting expenses of your taxes. No one worries about one or two privates. You basically become self employed when you find students through such an agency. Best idea is to stop thinking like a salaried employee but more as an entrepreneur or a self-employed businessman when it comes to taxes.
Tamago86

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add on what's already been pointed out. Korea would be best overall for short-term, most of the time the school pays for plane tickets and housing. On Japan it really depends on alot of things, but I think if you want to make money you'd have a much better chance at it in Korea, especially if you're a nightlife type of person.

Taiwan would also be good and I know people that prefer it over Korea, you should go check the Taiwan board.

Hong Kong is a very competitive and closed market, especially when it comes to EFL teaching. Mostly because it's a very desirable city to work in for alot of people but also because HK people already speak English better than anyone else in Asia and they have an endless ex-pat community that already lives there that are also well-qualified and happy to take such jobs. And in my opinion there's also a slight underlying pressure that parents have for people who teach or tutor their kids to speak Cantonese, which is of course a more than reasonable request but at the moment an unthinkable alien concept to most of the ESL market. But did you ever consider mainland China?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tamago86 wrote:
HK people already speak English better than anyone else in Asia

Hmmmm...
d-rail

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for posting your views on this and other issues. i am enjoying reading this thread. i'm learning quite a bit and hope it continues. Thanks!
darrell
Tamago86

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Henry_Cowell"][quote="Tamago86"]HK people already speak English better than anyone else in Asia[/quote]
Hmmmm...[/quote]

*on average :lol:
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: