Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Euro vacation/job hunt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wexlerama

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Euro vacation/job hunt Reply with quote

I'm a 19 year old from America. I'm heading to Europe after the summer. I'm flying into Amsterdam early September and plan on staying there for a week, visit Belgium and then stopover for a relatively longer stay in Lille, France. I didnt know what the job sitch in Lille is like, or anywhere I'll be for that matter... especially after schools have basically (or are nearly getting ready to) begun. I might visit Switzerland, Italy and Germany too... or any other places for that matter...

If anyone knows any good prospects, cities, countries, areas, good times to apply, WHATEVER! it would be very convenient.

I am going to take the i to i TEFL online course this summer so hopefully that and a lot of ambition and a few months will allow me to find something to keep me busy for a year or so.

If I dont find anything, I'll probably just visit any friends who are staying or live in Europe and just head back home and work for awhile, but that sucks. So any help or feedback is appreciated, regarding whatever.

I live in Illinois, and if anyone in North America typically hires younger employees who dont need degrees, thatd be cool too... Basically looking to start a life somewhere, thats not here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you aware that you are not legally allowed to work in most European Union countries as a US citizen? Further, teaching contracts are usually September or October thru the end of June. Short term contracts are quite rare.
Years ago, a native English speaker traveling thru might have been a bit exotic and might have found some teaching work here and there. It's not like that these days~ The job market is full of QUALIFIED (University graduates with TEFL/TESL certification and experience is the MINIMUM) EU citizens.
On line certifications are NOT accepted by all employers because they involve no supervised teaching practice.
Teaching is a PROFESSION. In Europe you really need qualifications and some level of commitment to the profession and the area where you want to teach. Schools are not going to hire a 19-year-old without a uni degree, commitment to a contract, and an online cert.
You might be better off to consider some different kinds of work while you are traveling around, like restaurants or pubs or something.
Not to be a total downer, but you won't find teaching jobs - or at least it's very unlikely. If you do some research during your travel and find out that you think you would really like to be a teacher, then you should probably get a degree in something, a real certification, and then you'd be actually ready to start. You've got time on your side here. Get real.
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, I agree. But non-EU citizens are also not allowed to work in pubs. In the Netherlands I tried to find work at the Irish Pub but was turned down because I had no work permit.

Wex, I had the same feeling. Why don't you look around for colleges that have extensive study abroad packages to hop around the world (like Webster U.), or apply directly to the American University of Paris, Cairo, etc. for staying in one place? Then you're outta America and in school.

Check at www.fafsa.ed.gov to do a school search. Then you'll see if you can get student aid at the university. Major universities in a country often can get US student loans for their American students, while the American universities might be able to get full aid packages with grants.

It would be a lot more fun to be student than an illiegal dishwasher with no prospects. You'll need a degree to teach in most parts of the world. An education will get you much further than a job at 19.

HTH, and keep your eyes open!
daily chai

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-read your post and want to add that Webster U has a branch in Leiden, NL. Leiden is a nice student town with no housing whatsoever Smile (I graduated from Leiden U.) To go to Webster though I think you have to study at least one semester at their home base in St. Louis (look out, out of state tuition!)
http://www.webster.edu/webmain.html
http://www.webster.edu/ugcatalog/intl_locations.html

The big state schools in IL will have exchange programs, but you'll have to study for (a year) there first. If your grades aren't up to par you could start at a community college. I went that route and it was an excellent choice. Also some comm colleges have work/study abroad programs to look into.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: