Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is an EU passport needed for summer work in the UK?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employment law re: Immigration has just got tougher - it is the employers responsibility to check all their employees right to work in the UK and they are liable to a fine of �10,000 per illegal employee...

Teaching would come under Tier 2 of the new points based scheme - which means that you would need a job offer to be able to get a work permit - details can be found here http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/employers/points/ and herehttp://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/workingintheuk/workpermits/workpermitarrangements/businessandcommercialworkpermits/

For Secondary school teaching - US qualifications can be recognised through the Overseas Trained Teacher programme - details here http://www.tda.gov.uk/Recruit/thetrainingprocess/typesofcourse/ottp.aspx?keywords=overseas+teacher

How realistic it is probably depends on what subject you teach - ESOL probably isn't going to help you, if you can teach science on the other hand....
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks BELS and Phil: has anyone noticed improved pay as a result? As my main income is in Sterling and I live in the eurozone I may well do a summer school this year.Sad I have had a CRB in the past but never for a summer school, and bearing in mind one or two summer school colleagues I can only regard this requirement as a good thing!
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! No. Embassy CES income looks as miserable as ever, with deductions from income accomadation and holiday pay. I thought that those kind of miserly tactics were illegal in Britain.

Try a vacancy search in tefl.com and you'll get some idea of what they are offering. Even so, much more than what Moscow schools offer here.

It's also a good idea to read up the forum here, on the UK section. It doesn't look very positive there, however we Brits are well known for being a bunch of moaning minnies in our own country, and we're never satisfied.
BELS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a CRB check in the UK whenever you are employed to work with children. Those checks are much more thorough than your normal police check for immigration purposes, so any form of violence to a women or children, whether prosecuted or not may prevent you from working with children. They got even more thorough in this investigation from the time a school caretaker murdered two children in his house provided by the school within the school premises.

I had a CRB check just to voluntaraly coach young children football for a local Saturday Junior league. I needed to go for a special training course, which involved coaching techniques, first aid and of course CRB check. I received a special identity card, of which junior foootball could not accept me as a coach without this card.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping the thread back to the top for benefit of a new poster...
Phil_b

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found this article...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7383493.stm it does seem that they're starting to step up attempts to stop people working without papers... It'll be interesting if it's just for dark people from poor countries or whether they'll start rounding up Aussies, Kiwis etc...
Kootvela

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afowles wrote:
Americans need work permits and the schools seem rather less than willing to help us get one. I've applied to five UK schools and have been turned down by each one due simply to the fact that I'm American (or so I'd like to think, my CV is decently impressive).

This is because getting the paperwork done takes forever. I cannot guarantee anything about the UK but they say that here in Lithuania it may take up to 6 months to get the paperwork done to employ a foreigner. I assume an EU citizen would take less than that. They say, in Latvia the whole thing takes just two weeks. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
BELS

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kootvela wrote:
afowles wrote:
Americans need work permits and the schools seem rather less than willing to help us get one. I've applied to five UK schools and have been turned down by each one due simply to the fact that I'm American (or so I'd like to think, my CV is decently impressive).

This is because getting the paperwork done takes forever. I cannot guarantee anything about the UK but they say that here in Lithuania it may take up to 6 months to get the paperwork done to employ a foreigner. I assume an EU citizen would take less than that. They say, in Latvia the whole thing takes just two weeks. Shocked

I woudn't say just a few weeks, I would say immediate right for EU members to work and be resident in any EU country. So employers can't be bothered with work permits to Americans or other foreigners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: