Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Outside Santiago

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Georgeibam

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 1:56 pm    Post subject: Outside Santiago Reply with quote

I am new to the forums, but a relatively experienced teacher who is hoping his Chile question has not been asked a hundred times before. The trouble with searching for NOT santiago, is that you get Santiago. So here it is- I'd like to... no, would love to go work in Chile for at least a year, but am certainly not a fan of capitals, and from the info on here Santiago really doesn't sound like my kind of place. That said, is it even slightly possible to arrange work outside Santiago before arriving in Chile and if so where? From looking around on the net and in my lonely planet, the places which sound to me like the nicest to live in are Punta Arenas, Valdivia, and Chiloe, but is there any demand for English teaching in these places, and are there any reputable places that I could contact?
Any help with this would be much appreciated, or a simple reference if this information already exists elsewhere.
Cheers.
evansmith

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punta Arenas, Valdivia and Chiloe will definitely be a stretch as far as finding work before hand, or at all for that matter (though Valdivia may be a possibility). Small cities might suit you better, rather than very small towns such as the aforementioned. Some possibilities could be Villarica and Pucon (though it is also very small, but also very touristy which increases the need for English), Concepcion for sure, of course Vina del Mar and Valparaiso and Antofagasta in the north. However, getting anything very concrete lined up before arriving in Chile is difficult everywhere, even in Santiago. Some schools like Footprints offer opportunities in small towns like Quillota, but these opportunities are much easier to come by if you are already in the country. But if you are qualified, and commiting to teaching for a long period in a small city is what you want, you should be able to find opportunities.
Good Luck!
Weona

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgeibam -

I hear you on stearing clear of capitals and large cities. Infact, I did just that by coming to Valparaiso, a port city about 1.5 hours north west of Santiago. However, there was no way I would have found a teaching gig had I not actually been here. I looked for a while from overseas, applied to various places and heard nothing. My age and experience had a lot to do with that (both pretty small as far as years are concerned Embarassed), but I gather that even had I been older with more years of teaching on my belt, I still wouldn't have found the gig I'm at now. It takes guts but what I really suggest is coming down here (obviously researching what town would suit you best) and start looking from there. You don't want to choose a town too small... Chiloe being one of them... it's a small island south of Valdivia... but the other towns you listed are a good start. Last time I heard, Punta Arenas had a few good English institutes. I know someone who used to teach at one of them (can't remember the name! ahhh sorry) but he was a traveler and had actually just volunteered.

Don't lose hope, there are positions available. The demand for English is greater in Santiago, as you know, but I don't blame you for not being particularly interesting in living there.

Best time to come down would be August or the end of February. Good luck! Chile is a wonderful place. Cool
Georgeibam

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I'll be checking out the footprints school you mentioned, and I guess I will just have to take the plunge, and start saving up now! Thanks for the advice,.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: