Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Give it up?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Generasian X

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:49 am    Post subject: Give it up? Reply with quote

For those "waiting list people" out there that haven't been offered anything, nor asked for more paperwork to calculate their salary by now, should they just give up the idea on going to HK for NET? I mean, its almost June... Hmm...? Question
Roger

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but it's not June just yet! Last year, they were confirming hiring well into the last two weeks of June!
It earned them a lot of opprobrium (and one should have thought they would learn a lesson from this - after all, they failed to recruit enough candidates as many declined to quit their jobs in their home countries at such short notice).
A characteristic of Hong Kong life is the sheer arrogance of the powers-that-be...
Generasian X

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 10:02 pm    Post subject: Ok Reply with quote

Ahh... see... don't give up yet people! Sounds like there is still a little hope... Thanks Roger!
arju

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:56 pm    Post subject: never give up Reply with quote

last year I was offered my position at end of july the reason being that the paper trail slowed things down and there were other nets who also were approached late, so the message is dont give up if you do want to come, ring up the ed dept and pester them. to give an example of how slow they do the paper work I applied for my teacher registration last september and it arrived last week after 9 months and many resubmissions... the way hong kong works is paper paper paper which means snail pace....
once again

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it is arrogance, although Roger may well be right. I put it down to simple lack of efficiency and a very very beurocratic structure. (As I post this I have been drinkning so I have no idea how to spell that word and even less inclination to find out!) They have made late recruitments since the schemes have begun..it is just the way they are..for whatever reasons..
sypanda5

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: already feel it Reply with quote

Hello Generasian X...
from what arju, roger and once again are saying AND from what i've experienced so far (i haven't even arrived yet!), i feel that things are processed very slowly...
i was contacted at the end of march with a conditional offer from NET......but then after a month, i was switched to another set of schools becuase my previous ones had a low enrollment....but since i "re-confirmed" my acceptance, it's been a month....I have received info from the EMB, and separately from my school....but my school and EMB have not contacted each other...(the EMB contacted me a month ago...and just as of yesterday, contacted my schools to confirm my acceptance) (does this make any sense?) anyways, i'm still waiting for my contract...

i totally get the idea that things take time.............i was worried, but now i realise that we just have to be patient......

good luck!
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Generasian X,
The following is part of an email that was sent out from Edstaff 10 days ago.
"Some of you have received a conditional offer ( which includes details of salaries and conditions) whilst others are awaiting contact from schools and or a conditional offer. For those who have not heard from a school, EMB ( HK Education Department) has informed us that all candidates have been referred to a school."
Hence it's the individual schools that are dragging their heels. The offers have really been coming in dribs and drabs. Keep a regular check on your email. You could be contacted very soon now. If you have your mail filtered, be careful it doesn't get blocked. Hope you hear soon. Let us know when you do.
Jenny
foster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Not on a waiting list....still waiting Reply with quote

I was not put on a waiting list and was told that my salary was being assessed and that I should hear soon....

Well...that was 2 months ago and I have heard NOTHING....I know i have been out of the country for the last 14 days, but I have email.

Are the schools calling or emailing???

I never received a post about the waiting list or about the information that was sent out.

Am seriously thinking about throwing in the towel!!
arju

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:34 am    Post subject: waiting Reply with quote

Foster the same thing happened to many of us last year you need to ring up the ed dept and ask what is the hold up, luckily I rang up last year and was told that the ed dept wanted more of the paper trail and that they were waiting ...well dont trust them to use email as we do they have so many to recruit with so few staff they take the easy options first and forget to follow up the rest
in a nut shell hong kong wants nets and cant get the quota so ring them up and push push then you will get some answers.
they possibly need a t crossed and an i dotted on one of your papers its the insignificant things they like best........

best of luck its still early by last years standards
Generasian X

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I called the ed department, I was connected to William Chu.
I think he is in charge of new NETs... well, anyway, he told me that I was still on the "waiting list" for secondary schools... so if anyone hears anything different, let us all know!!!

It is just so frustrating to have to wait SO long to hear back, I mean, I REALLY want to go to HK and to work on the SNET scheme...sigh...

Last edited by Generasian X on Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
arju

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: waiting Reply with quote

hi again william chu is one of the more helpful contacts in the ed dept its hard to believe how un hong kong like he has been in being able to provide help assistance ideas when most others dont give a thought....
did you ask him if your paper work was all in order???? do also remember that its still early june and by last years standards of inefficiency its still early
best of luck
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generasian X, my circumstances were different from yours because I am primary, you are secondary. In Australia at least, the HK department decided to use a local agency (Edstaff) for the interviewing/employing process. Even though I am still experiencing some frustrations, it made a difference dealing with Edstaff rather than directly with Hong Kong. They have been very supportive with any concerns that have arisen along the way. I'm inclined to agree that if you are on the waiting list, then don't despair. That in itself is a good sign. I have met William Chu in person and although I don't know how much authority he actually has, he does seem very approachable. Keep on to him. Good luck.
Generasian X

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Every bit of info helps and sustains HOPE...
Smile
foster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Bit the Bullet........ Reply with quote

Well, rather than throwing in the towel, I bit the bullet and I called them.

Talked with Mr Chu. Not as helpful as I had hoped. He sent me to Phoebe Mok and she was able to tell me that Lau Pak Lok school has my name.

Now....someone has my name...and that means what?????

God, I feel like a teenager waiting for a boy to call me...this is pathetic!!!

Anyone know anything about ShaTin or Lau Pak Lok School??
jenny-pnet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foster, maybe you should just ring the school instead of waiting for the school to ring you???? I don't know. My school initially rang me, but then I heard nothing more for ages from them. So one Saturday morning I rang the school and spoke with the principal. He was very friendly, but explained he had been very busy, especially with the impact sars had had. Then I waited another two weeks and still nothing. So I rang him back. He was in a meeting at the time, but nevertheless came out of it to talk to me. Once again he was very friendly. I politely explained to him that I really needed the paperwork so I could get things underway, regarding the employment visa etc. He was a bit surprised and asked me how long it takes to organize the working visa. I said I didn't know but I didn't want to risk leaving it till the last minute. Once again, he explained that he had been extremely busy, but that he would now get onto it straight away and that I should have it by next week. So now I wait another week and see. But if I hadn't rung him, it could have been put out of his mind until the eleventh hour, and I did not want that to happen. As I said, he was very friendly on the phone, but it seems that the principals may have lots of priorities other than us net teachers and perhaps they simply need a bit more prompting. Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: