Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Travelling Latin America
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dduck

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben Round de Bloc wrote:
If you get to Merida, Yucatan, in your travels, feel free to get in touch, and we'll meet up for a couple of cold ones.

Cheers Ben, I haven't decided where I'm headed, but the idea of a beer with a friendly face is very appealing Smile

As regards the political situation in general, I've scanned some of the local news sites: there doesn't seem to be any significant trouble that I can see. I've read that it's not a good idea to express political views in Guatemala, and you just don't photograph the military bases, but the same advice applies to many of the countries of the world. *shrug* Remember the poor plane spotters in Greece!

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Gary B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
I agree with Dduck that many gringos are teaching in Latin America to meet women and not just to teach. I know this for a fact because I've discussed this with many of my ex co-workers while I was there. You can be in your late 30s, 40s or 50s and still have a chance to go out with women that are in their 20s, not divorced with 2 or 3 kids. If your in your 30s 40s or 50s in the States going out with younger women, your considered a pervert. The best way to learn Spanish Dduck is to meet a Latina and spend as much time with her as possible. Through her, you'll possibly meet many of her friends. Of course it goes the same with women teachers/travellers as well. Quito, Ecuador would be a good place to start, but the pay isn't great and the economy is going through some major growing pains making it very expensive.
Chow for Now,
Latin America Love In Motown Gary B.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 1:47 am    Post subject: More complex than it may appear Reply with quote

Gringos and gringas come to Latin America as EFL teachers for a variety of reasons in addition to or besides teaching -- learn/improve a foreign language, explore the culture, promote their religion, meet people, have sex, drink beer, escape from something in their home country -- or combinations of these and/or other reasons.

Quote:
You can be in your late 30s, 40s or 50s and still have a chance to go out with women that are in their 20s, not divorced with 2 or 3 kids. If your in your 30s 40s or 50s in the States going out with younger women, your considered a pervert.
- Gary B.

This statement could be quite misleading if applied to all of Latin America, in my opinion. In the city where I live, if an attractive 20-something local woman is seen out with a man in his 50s, especially a gringo, it is assumed that she's a gold-digger, a working girl, or probably both. True, the man might not be talked about as a pervert, but the young woman's reputation would be on the line. A man in his 50s out with a woman in her 20s would be viewed as either married and cheating on his wife or single, but in either case paying through the nose for whatever he's getting.

I'm 56 years old. I teach in a rather large university EFL program, where most of the students are in their 20s, so I have the opportunity to meet lots of 20-something women, and most of them are very nice. Perhaps I'm just weird, but I wouldn't want to date any of them. I'm older than most of their parents.

I agree that the best way to become fluent in the local language is to spend lots of time with people (girl/boyfriend or just friends) who speak only that language. I've seen a number of English speakers who end up spending most of their free time with other English speakers or with locals who speak English relatively well and want to improve their English by hanging out with native English speakers. After a year or two in Latin America, these native English speakers can't speak Spanish (or Portuguese) much better than the first day they arrived.
Gary B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wha'z up?
Ben Round de Bloc, you make several good points and I was over generalizing somewhat. Yea, you're right that many gringos and gringas do travel to Latin America for different reasons. There are a number of gringos however that live in various parts of Latin America because the accessibility to women is much easier than in other Anglo countries. I've met many gringos that live in Ecuador for example that constantly complain about the culture, social problems, economy but when I ask many of them why don't you leave? Inevitably the answer is it's much easier to meet women. They've lived there for many years, still complain about the place, but enjoy going out with the women. Yea, you also made a good point that a Latina has to be careful about her reputation among her circle of family and friends. As you know there is a lot of what we called Class B prostitution where Latinas would hang out with gringos to be wined and dined for sex. Of course in my country it's often called going out. And absolutely there are the Latinas that are looking for a way out of their country and may be considered gold diggers. After all, isn't it the same in the States for example? I mean Anna Nichole Smith didn't marry an 80 something your old man for love only. All in all it's still a great place to hang out and I still recommend Latinas as far as companionship goes.
Chow for Now,
Only An Opinion From Motown And We All Know What They Say About Opinions Gary B.
Ben Round de Bloc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: And... Reply with quote

Quote:
All in all it's still a great place to hang out and I still recommend Latinas as far as companionship goes.
- Gary B.

I definitely agree with you!

Best wishes!
Ben Round de Bloc
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: