Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What would it take...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
portochuck

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: What would it take... Reply with quote

Just wanted to know...research....What would it take to get more native English Speaking teachers to come to Brazil to work? For exp..

PAY? LOCATION??? AND ON AND ON...
fragganika

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you're starting just a single school, that will be your own? I think as an American, you'd prolly be a good boss and wouldn't exploit. The number one thing would be to get yourself listed in recruitment places and in the general google directory under "teaching english in brazil" or something. get a good site together that shows you're honest and will provide a good experience to your teachers. I don't think people care so much about money, you could pay them the average of your working professionals - mine was 750 in SP, but actually, it was 1000 and IICA took a 350 a month CUT out of it! You could compare yourself to those other programs, as I'm sure you'd be a lot better at communication and in setting up a safe, inviting structure. No one out there really has a program that looks too appealing. Everyone goes out on a limb when they sign up with IICA or those other, even shadier, programs that pay like 400 a month. I'm thinking about starting a school in Brazil in a few years, and I'll sure as heck be following a plan of what NOT to do based on my experience with the pre existing programs and the franchises.

-nika
portochuck

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes you are right I am trying to open a School in Brazil.....Its strange you are the only one to reply......
islanddreamer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty new to this forum but have been amazed at how quiet the Brazil board is......

I worked as an English teacher in Natal in the North-East at a good, reputable school for a couple of years. My salary was around R1200 per month with health insurance included, so I guess it was a good deal. I also worked for a different kind of language school in Sao Paulo that sent teachers to companies (which was awful) and for a language school in a small town in the interior of Sao Paulo state that paid by the hour and could only be described as a cowboy outfit.

As a teacher, the most important things were a fixed salary every month that you received even if classes were cancelled (and that you got during the holidays too) and health insurance. Location - well, none of the places I worked were particulary touristy or beautiful (Natal was in fact an odd, sterile city - good beaches were pretty far away from town) but I wouldn't consider location a real factor.

Hope this helps a little.............. Smile
nomadamericana

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would love to teach English in Brazil but from what I have heard it is quite difficult to do so, be it legally or even illeagally. I am still interested and will teach there soon as a program a my university does have a program to do student teaching there... but unfortunely unless things change it appears that it is easier to get work in other countries... especially Argentina.

Portochuck... have you taught in Brazil? Any advice for those who want to do it?
amandajoy99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think what it would take is out of your control. seems to me that a lot of english speakers are interested in coming to brazil, but they can't work legally, and working illegally here is not as easy as it is in, say, spain.
portochuck

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not sure about what your saying amandajay..I know a lot of people working in Porto Alegre illegally..
amandajoy99

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, portochuck, people do it. but it's not as easy here as it is in some other countries. if they catch you, they will not just look the other way. and people who are thinking about coming to brazil hear that, in fact they probably hear an exaggerated version of it, so it scares a them away. just on this forum you'll see a lot of posts along the lines of "i really want to teach in brazil but i heard it's impossible..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: