Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EF Cibubur?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanderingstar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:48 am    Post subject: EF Cibubur? Reply with quote

I have recently been offered a teaching position in an EF school just outside of Jakarta, in Cibubur. I am a 19 year old girl with a TESOL certificate, and although I have no formal classroom experience, I have had 6 informal years of peer-tutoring ESL to a European student.

The DoS of the school is Hugh Young, a Scottsman, and all of my dealings with him have been very (or seemingly) upfront and informative. One year contract, reimbursed airfare, accommodation provided, 7+ weeks paid holiday, 25(ish) contact hours/week, 6 mill Rp/month, small classes, all ages and levels, internet access, A/C, medical insurance, visa handling, etc.

I've asked him my share of questions, but I cannot find anything about this particular EF school (been established for 4 years, very successful, he says) or the area it is located in. I've also done my share of research on EF schools and have found extremely mixed reviews.

I was wondering if anyone out there has a personal experience about working in an EF school that they might share with me, or any advice, warnings, etc. Also, anyone who has dealt with Mr. Young in particular, or visited or lived in the Cibubur area... any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Indo teach

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: EF Cibubur Reply with quote

We knew two teachers who pulled a runner on their contract from this place. Cibubur is a nice enough area but you are miles from Jakarta and that is reflected in the lower pay.

We would recommend looking elsewhere - if you post any q's on EF schools on Daves we'll do our best to answer any queries.

Indo teach
bulekampung

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject: wandering star Reply with quote

Dear star

Just be careful,

Due to strict Immigration regulations we are only able to consider applicants (min 26 years old) native to The UK, The USA, Canada, New Zealand and Australia.

You might work on an illegal status...

good luck
ls650

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: EF Cibubur? Reply with quote

wanderingstar wrote:
I am a 19 year old girl with a TESOL certificate,
7+ weeks paid holiday,

As one poster pointed out, Indonesia recently brought in a regulation barring teachers under 26. Maybe this school has found a loophole....

Seven-plus weeks of vacation? I imagine that must include two weeks at years end and a week for Idul Fitri (ramadan).
willy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO YOUNG AND A GIRL TOO BETTER GO TO TAIWAN AND MAKE ABOUT 2000.OOUS OR MORE AND COME HERE LATER WHEN YOU HAVE HAD EXP. AND CAN GET MORE $$$
WWW.TEALIT.COM
BUT READ THE BORAT TO AS THER ARE MANY BAD SCHOOLS THERE TOO
TEAM_PAPUA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 12:28 am    Post subject: * Reply with quote

19 years old & no experience - no wonder EF is happy to recruit you!

They should put something like this on their advertising posters.

I mean seriously what school can seriously consider itself to be taken seriously when it clearly states 'no experience necessary' then charges the students top $$ this is seriously f*kked.

Silver lining - you'll have a fine old time in Indo I am sure. But, I'd double check the 7 weeks holiday Wink
rayman

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 5:22 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

I haven't heard of this immigration restriction on teachers under 26 before. Does it apply to all teachers or only those teaching ESL?
GuruStip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it applies to all workers, though it seems it's only a nominal thing.
Schools can still appoint workers who are younger, I think it mostly depends on who sorts their visas out for them.
Kesavah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To get back to the original topic, anybody have any info about EF Cibubur?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: