Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a CAPES?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The K Dog

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2003 6:39 pm    Post subject: Do I need a CAPES? Reply with quote

Dear readers,
I am just trying to gather together some additional information as I am considering going back to France eventually with my wife. As you can see from my previous post, I was an EFL teacher in a private language school, which is tolerable, but low-paying and holds no prestige. I do know that in France, to teach in a public secondary school one must have the CAPES certificate, but what is to teach in a private, i.e., Catholic school? For example, in the United States, one must have teacher certification to teach in a public high school, which involves passing a basic skills' test, taking education course work, doing student teaching and passing a content area exam before teaching adolescents in the public school system, however, one can bypass all this by teaching in a private school. Is it the same in France, must one have CAPES to teach in a private secondary school or is it the same as teaching in the public school system? I am curious, as I would like to go back, but I don't want to be forty-five-years-old, and slaving away at say, Berlitz or Wall Street. Yes, I know that Catholic schools generally don't pay well, but it is far more professional than a business cram school where you are paid by the hour. I have a BA in English Literature, an M.Ed in EFL instruction and many years of experience in the United States and Europe, plus I have an EU passport, so, what is the situation? I did not enquire while in France because it didn't interest me at the time. If you could help; I would appreciate it.
Sincerely,
The K Dog from America
rogan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in the Priv� does not require a CAPES.

However you would still be teaching to the Brevet or to the BAC and therefore you wouldn't really be teaching English - rather you would be teaching "writing in something that might possibly be seen as English"

Your qualifications would need to be 'homologu�" - that is translated and certified as having equal value to French Degrees. This would have to be done by qualified translators ( see other replies to your other posts ).
This of course, has to be paid for.

Then you need to contact the Education authorities and register as a 'remplacant" or "vacataire". This generally needs to be done in the June and July preceeding the Academic year when you will be available.
Late applications are often not allowed.
Then you would need to wait for a vacancy to come up - usually as a stand in for someone who is off on long term sick leave.

Teaching hours are limited but not too badly paid.
Do remember though that teaching "full time" = a maximum of 18 hours per week.

Most replacement teaching is for a lot less than this.

The 'entry requirement' for this very popular activity is BAC + 3 - so there are lots and lots of people who are capable of doing this.

Being a Brit, an American, or even Irish (!!!) is not an advantage here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: