Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Qatar

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxolisi

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Teaching in Qatar Reply with quote

Hi all

Sorry I cannot name my institution, but in such a small place, I will get myself and colleagues into trouble. I was so unhappy with my experience that I simply have to share it with others, to avoid them naively getting into a situation like mine.

I wish I could say something positive, but unfortunately the working environment is appalling. You get treated like you have given over your entire life to the educational institution � you also get treated like someone who loves money and cannot get a better job in your own country (it doesn�t matter which country you come from).

There are a lot of stereotypes about everyone: from Indians (poor, dirty, slaves), to Westerners (greedy, lazy, love drink and free sex), to Western women (easy lays and can be propositioned like prostitutes), to Sudanese (they will accept anything because they want the job in the Gulf so badly.

But of course the worst thing is the so-called academic environment that you have committed to spending a year at. The students will not think that they have to do any work at all � that�s your job (and if they don�t learn it�s your fault because you didn�t teach them). They expect you to baby them even though they are first, second and third year university students. If they fail a test, the will come to your office and ask you why you hate them!!

And when you expect the institution to support your professional decisions, you are in for a rude shock: they will not. They want students because they need money: and if that means falsifying results, making tests easier and easier until they are simply meaningless, so be it. If you want your job, keep quiet and smile at those in authority. Forget everything you ever learned in any university or educational training institution anywhere in the world ( I worked with Americans, a New Zealander, an Australian, an Irish, a British, as well as Arabs from at least 8 different countries � the horror was universal because everyone�s expectations of professionalism were in vain).

I am just relieved that it is coming to an end - and having heard other experiences of other places in the Gulf, I am getting on a plane out of here, and not coming back. Money is a necessity, sut so is peace of mind and human dignity!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry that you had a bad experience, but don't see any possible use for your post if you don't name the insitution. It seems that you are damning all employers - not to mention a whole culture and geographical location - based on a one year experience with one employer.

It is likely best that you go back home.

VS
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you want your job, keep quiet and smile at those in authority
Isn't that the same every where?
livinginQatar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selam alaycom,

Sounds like CHN...... I'm hoping that the ones at Educational City (ie: Cornell, Texas A & M, etc wouldn't be like that.

Peace,
Um Ali
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um Ali... a roll of the dice... like all jobs in this field... Confused

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: