Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL teacher looking for work- any leads?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
middle east bound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject: ESL teacher looking for work- any leads? Reply with quote

Hello- I'm an experienced ESL/TOEFL teacher (about 7 years), but without any certificate or advanced degree completed... I may be able to get a TEFL certificate online if I get hired.
I've taught in Japan, and traveled and lived a bit in many countries. Does anyone know of any good leads for an ESL job? I'm ready to travel from the U.S. (I'm American) to Qatar soon!
Thank you! Idea Question Wink
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi MEB

All the places where I have seen adverts for teachers have asked for at least a BA +TEFL. (maybe the others heere who have worked there can give you more of an idea)

However, this advert which was on the british site http://www.jobsunlimited.co.uk doesn't say anything about certification:

QATAR

A number of posts are available for experienced male or female EFL writers on our team at Qatar Petroleum. Previous teaching and writing experience in oil industry desireable but we will consider those with similar experience in Business English.

Salary $2500 per month tax free; free accommodation, meals, flights, use of car, paid holiday, gratuity.

CV and covering letter to [email protected]

Interviews in London or Gulf by arrangement.
middle east bound

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject: thank you so much! Reply with quote

stay chic, qatar sheik!
thanks for the info, I'll check it out, and buy you a drink if I make it...! Rolling Eyes Laughing
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL- You'll find that there may well be more schools in the future coming up due to the expansion of Qatar and all this investment pouring into the country.

Good luck Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle East Bound,

If you are serious about working in the Middle East and you want to have decent employers, you really MUST look into at least getting the CELTA... not just any old online certificate.

Middle East employers are very picky and most of the employers who will hire someone with your limited credentials are places that I wouldn't work if they paid 10 times the salary. Slavery is not dead in the Middle East... Smile

Read about on these boards for a few hours and you will find plenty of nightmare stories. Buyer beware...

VS
blues clues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Qatar Reply with quote

Qatar Aeronautical College (QAC) recruiting again, and again for QP. Beware! QP has very bad reputation....terrible students, work like 40 hours a week, car is shared (hopefully you'd be sharing with someone who will actually let you use it once in a while). then you' d have to think about looking for a place to park....QAC moved teachers to flats in a horrible area of Doha.....a lot of teachers quit because of it, although some teachers who are in good with the director were able to return to museum flats....(shame on you Malachy, after all the fuss)....
Teachers are not happy working at QP and usually end up getting fired within 3-6 months. Be afraid, be very afraid. Mad
Gordon

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Qatar Reply with quote

blues clues wrote:
Qatar Aeronautical College (QAC) recruiting again, and again for QP. Beware! QP has very bad reputation....terrible students, work like 40 hours a week, car is shared (hopefully you'd be sharing with someone who will actually let you use it once in a while). then you' d have to think about looking for a place to park....QAC moved teachers to flats in a horrible area of Doha.....a lot of teachers quit because of it, although some teachers who are in good with the director were able to return to museum flats....(shame on you Malachy, after all the fuss)....
Teachers are not happy working at QP and usually end up getting fired within 3-6 months. Be afraid, be very afraid. Mad

So where is a good place to work in Qatar?
blues clues

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Qatar Reply with quote

Good question????? Where is a GOOD place to work in Doha, or anywhere in the Gulf for that matter. A place where employees are treated like teachers, not housemaids, where you make a good wage, working beside cool people, good perks....hmmm, don't know, but sounds like CNA, Qatar is one of the better places to work. Stay away from private institutes, Chen, QP (QAC) and the MInistry. Doesnt' leave much. Qatar Academey has a good reputation, not easy to get hired there though, Qatar Uni. has it's own nightmares. Yeech....! Don't know, maybe better to go to Korea or Taiwan!
lionbrian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: blues clues1 Reply with quote

blues clues!

What's wrong with Qatar University? Could you please share?

As far as I know, they had "tons" of applicants for fall 2005, and they selected only highly qualified teachers. Also, I have friends with Master's degrees/Gulf experience, BUT did not make it! Does this ring a bell?

Just my HO: QU will be a good place to work for in the future!
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a lot of teachers quit because of it,
Absolute rubbish. Name one.
biffinbridge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: the trade-off Reply with quote

Teaching throughout the ME is mostly a nightmare unless-a.) you have a cushy uni post and/or b.)you are a large woman looking for love.QP was hard but if you were direct hire ,they paid bloody well.If you want to really enjoy your teaching stay in Japan or go to Eastern Europe but if you want money, stay in the ME.Without good qualifications you'll end up in a dump.
maryam2003

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:56 am    Post subject: Romeo ..(er, I mean Abdullah) where for art thou .......? Reply with quote

Mr B writes: The ME is good if ..............

b.)you are a large woman looking for love

That's what I like about you Mr B - you're such an incurable romantic!

Last edited by maryam2003 on Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
lionbrian

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:22 am    Post subject: OUCH! Affection shopping syndrome Reply with quote

Red light!

I guess the discussion is turning to a dead end!

In the meanwhile, why people (men & women) do not accept the reality when especially it is told in public?

Let's see: Mr. B is right about what he said and I have seen that. What he mentioned is not valid only in the Gulf region and does exist especially in Latin America. I call this issue AFFECTION SHOPPING SYNDROME.

Also, in the Gulf and in Asia areas, there are men (old, ugly, bald, loveless and the list goes on) who are affected by this syndrome INCLUDING MYSELF.

So, let's be more realistic and admit the reality since it is there and we can't hide the facts! Therefore, a large female looks for an Arab male and a bald & ugly male looks for an Asian female. IT IS ALL GOOD!

Just my thousand Won!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: