Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Positive EF comments

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
okievmax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Positive EF comments Reply with quote

I chose not to comment in the recent thread of EF diatribes because it was so negative. At least one Jakarta franchise treats teachers well and cares about their product. I've recently returned to U.S. from working for the franchise that has a location very near Sarinah and one in Golden Truly. The DOS, Glenn Thompson (also James Hunt at GT) and the owner demonstrated honesty, professionalism, and compassion. Often. Did they run their business exactly like you or I would in the west? Hell no. But neither do many biz in the west! And damn few or none in Indo. This EF franchise honored every aspect of their agreement with me, fired incompetents, took extra time to support teachers who wanted to improve, aggressively coached teachers who slacked, and went the extra mile to help teachers with personal probs. Sure they're a business. Revenues must exceed expenses. Good organizations seek satisfied, if not excited, customers AND employees. This EF franchise does a better than average job of that without corrupting classroom integrity. It's their biz what they charge their students. Sure, it would be nice to help Everyday Joe's (or Umar's?) kids and teachers can certainly do that. And I would insist on better use of classroom time than some teachers who seem to think they're in the entertainment biz. But I don't know why we should condemn a business for seeking their "sweet spot" on the revenue/expense curve when they are honest. My experience with this franchise was far more positive than negative. Some who have never had the responsibility of attracting customers and meeting payrolls bask in the luxury of their perceived Utopias. Okay, now, hang on a moment, let me move into fighting position to defend against attacks from all sides! Good luck, all.
Chester

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff man.
Nice to hear some positives
GuruStip

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play, Okie.
If a school wasn't making a buck, there'd be no point in hiring teachers.
It's a bit like the old chicken-egg conundrum. What came first: the money-making 'school' or the whining 'teacher'?
Just as dodgy schools need to be recognised, so do good ones.
Winmarr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much easier for people to complain and criticise and tar a whole franchise with the same brush though, isn't it?!
Noelle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which Jakarta franchise was this, may I ask?

I too have worked for EF and found them very professional... but in China. In the future I may consider coming to Indonesia and joining EF...

Only consider though...
Chester

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noelle. surely you have some ambition. you can do better.
Noelle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course I have some ambition and perhaps I could do better. I just don't really know that much about different schools in Indonesia and EF is really the only organization I've ever worked for outside the U.S. I had no problems with them but I certainly don't think they're perfect!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: