Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nigeria Love and Care job offer - a scam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
as1310

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:19 am    Post subject: Nigeria Love and Care job offer - a scam? Reply with quote

Hi,

I found this job offer on Idealist.org for a teaching position in Nigeria for an organization called Love and Care. The conditions definitely sound too good to be true ($1200 dollars a month, health insurance...). has anyone heard of it? is it a scam? Question
zakiah25

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Scam? Reply with quote

as1310,
Have they asked you to pay any money upfront for "processing and administrative costs"? If so, BE WARY!!!
I've just had an experience with a "recruiter" from Nigeria who was extremely evasive when I asked questions regarding job details and conditions.I had an "interview" whereby I was sent a list of questions as an e-mail attachment. Later, I received another e-mail and congratulated that I was successful and asked to pay the upfront costs.
I was wondering if the same thing has happened to you?
Also, I have just checked the website that you mentioned, Idealist.org - on the list of jobs, some of them have been checked and ticked "Verified" by the website's staff. I noticed that "Love and Care" does not have this verification check - perhaps you could contact the website and ask them for advice and to obtain the necessary verification as they seem to have a set procedure for obtaining this.
Thank you for mentioning that website, I found it quite interesting.
regards
Z
ntropy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Nigeria, consider everything a scam until you know otherwise.
laura1d

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 3:14 pm    Post subject: Idealist Reply with quote

Hi,

Idealist send me TEFL jobs as they get them. I got this one and was interested. It did tweak my 'nerve' buttons though - too good to be true etc etc.

I spent a lot of ime searching on the internet and found nothing at all about them. The write ups I found about the area weren't too appealing either!

In the end I decided not to apply.

I would be interested if you do apply and what happens.... Keep us posted!

Cheers
Laura
as1310

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: update Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies. We contacted Idealist, and they said that they don't have the means to verify all the organizations that advertise on their site. They said we should email Love and Care to ask them for references such as contact info of former teachers, and references from other established organizations in the area. That's what we did, and the answer from Love and Care was pretty weird: they said that we have obviously developed a hatred for Nigeria, and that we should look for another country... I wanted to go there because I really loved living in West Africa, but this doesn't sound like a serious offer, so I haven't applied. We told them that if they were legitimate, showing proof of their legitimacy shouldn't be a problem, and we haven't heard from them since then...
DaadaDG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you did the right thing. Their reply just seems to confirm your suspicions. If you want to tease them a bit you could write back and tell them that since they refused to verify their credentials, you've posted on all the major EFL sites that they're a scam. Serves 'em right. This has NOTHING to do with hating Nigeria, don't worry. Good luck!
jammy38

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scam all the way men,nigeria is an english speaking cxountry with obvios colonial heritage from britain.a member of commonwealth countries hence they ve no need for english teachers.english is the official mode of communication both in school and business.beware its all scam coming from nigerias scam men on the run from the heat of security agencis on their trail both domestically and internatiuonally.
chinwubachu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to above post::

Nigerias first language is not english. English is their second language

It probably is a scam yes I have just returned from Nigeria ( from where my husband is from) I was very surprised at the lack of progress it has made in recent years.....it was a big shock..... But thats the government not nigerians

unless u are very strong willed and minded and know how things work there dont go.
and if you are female and u are going alone DONT THINK ABOUT IT

Things go on in nigeria that westerners don`t think about. it is not wise and not a good place to be without family and friends around u who know the score.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: update Reply with quote

as1310 wrote:
Thanks for your replies. We contacted Idealist, and they said that they don't have the means to verify all the organizations that advertise on their site. They said we should email Love and Care to ask them for references such as contact info of former teachers, and references from other established organizations in the area. That's what we did, and the answer from Love and Care was pretty weird: they said that we have obviously developed a hatred for Nigeria, and that we should look for another country... I wanted to go there because I really loved living in West Africa, but this doesn't sound like a serious offer, so I haven't applied. We told them that if they were legitimate, showing proof of their legitimacy shouldn't be a problem, and we haven't heard from them since then...

Interestingly the same thing happened when I asked a recruiter for references from teachers working for the Singapore MOE. I became leery of their numerous emails, each one contradicting the one before it, all demanding that I do everything yesterday. When I asked for refs, she said that I was insensitive to the time pressures involved in recruiting for the project and that "I can assure you there are no problems with the MOE !"

WELL, if she says so it must be true! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: