Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions About Khon Kaen
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fud wrote:

I still agree if I just showed up in Thailand I'd find a much better gig within a week...but like I said, I won't go unless it's a good situation. I would like to teach in a high school and not a language center, etc.

Not a problem in Thailand, there's lots and lots of both kinds of work. You can choose on the ground -- it ain't Spain. It's also dirt cheap to stick around and look for work -- 1000USD a month and you'll live like a king in Kong Kaen.

Quote:

(BTW, where are all of you guys currently teaching? High school--is "government school" the correct term?--or a private facility? What kind of experiences have you had with either?)

I taught at a private high school, a private university, and a private langauge school (in the evenings to make a few extra bucks). There are also government high schools and universities. Private organizations pay better and are usually the preferred slots as your holiday time and other benefits will be almost identical.

There's no divide between govt/private as to what's good and what's bad. It depends totally on the management at any particular school as well as on your own quirks. You won't get a safe deal just because you work for the government, and you won't get someone trying to cheat you just becaues you work for a private organization.

Quote:

Anyway, they've hinted they might pay for the flight. In that case, if they give me more than two weeks to get there, I'll go. Yeah, money isn't great, but if I could survive being dead broke in New York City, Thailand should be a breeze...with better food.

A hint isn't enough, man. You need an ironclad promise for something as big a deal as getting airfare reimbursement -- which will amount to at least two month's salary for you. It's also important that you know WHEN you'll be getting this money -- I'd expect half on arrival and half on completion as any money that is awarded you at the end of a contract isn't safe to include in your should-I-go-or-not calculations.

If you just go there on your own dime and find your own job you'll do a lot better, I swear it! I'd bet every dime I have saved on it if there were a way to do it. Grow a pair and take a chance, man.
Dunk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG wrote :

"You really can't get a decent job in Thailand before your feet are on Thai soil, and, just as importantly, you have a Thai cell number."

This isn't true at all. I managed to get a job from outside Thailand via tefl.com and then an interview with a representative of the college which is absolutely fine, and I didn't get a mobile phone with a Thai number until I'd been in Thailand about 6 months.

There are ways and means ! Don't be put off.[/quote]
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunk wrote:

This isn't true at all. I managed to get a job from outside Thailand via tefl.com and then an interview with a representative of the college which is absolutely fine, and I didn't get a mobile phone with a Thai number until I'd been in Thailand about 6 months.

Describe your pay/benefits and qualifications, please.
Fud

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last two times I went abroad, to China and to Spain, I only lasted two days before I HAD to get a cell phone. I felt naked without one...
Dunk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Pay / Quals. Reply with quote

SG,

I got 33,000 a month first contract, now on 35,000, not riches but definitely liveable. Also get all usual benefits, such as medical cover, visa all sorted out for me, 24 days holiday, end of contract bonus.

They also found a flat for me so I went straight there on arrival.

My qual's are BA and TESOL.

So, it is possible to find a decent job without being 'on the ground' as you put it, just have to look around and read forums such as this one !

Dunk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: