Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best place OFF Khao San Road....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: Best place OFF Khao San Road.... Reply with quote

Any suggestions on places to stay short-term in Bangkok that are NOT Banglampoo (too far away from decent transport and in any case I've done enough time there, thank you)? Would need to be reasonably cheap, quiet (or quiet in BKK terms, anyway) and with an ensuite bathroom. AC would be nice but not a necessity. Would also need to be within walking distance of Skytrain and/or MRT. Looking for something temporary that I don't have to commit to long term while I hopefully do some part-time things and see what else is available. But because I expect to be working I need someplace where there is actually enough space to unpack some and hang up my monkey clothes between gigs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
kenkannif

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if it's near the transport doodahs you require (SG or others please correct me if I'm wrong) but Big John's gets the thumbs up from me and a lot of other people:

http://www.bigjohnsworld.com
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Big John's is very near the Thong Lor

Skytrain Station on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 9:

http://www.bigjohnsworld.com/html/maps.html

A good, central location ... and right around the corner from Fun Language,

located on Sukhumvit 55, Soi 13: http://www.funlanguage.co.th/

There are also quite a few 'reasonable' apartment rental opportunities

in the Thong Lor / Ekkamai area since it's a bit south of the city centre.

from Big John's website:

Rooms can be booked from 290-430 Baht - single, 390- 530 Baht double and 490-630 Baht triple.

Prices vary based on room size, windows, early booking

and weekday/end and may be adjusted without notice.

BTS Skytrain & MRT Metro Map:

http://www.bts.co.th/en/map.asp
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also some quite nice guesthouses oppostie MBK at BTS National Stadium -- you have to walk up the first soi you come to once you're on the sidewalk and walking away from the BTS and toward the river.

I have a really good realtionship with the people I rented my apartment from in Bangkok, so if I were to visit the city for a month or so I'd likely see them (they'll give me a key to an aircon room that's clost to Surasak BTS for 5500 a month with only one month down -- and they're aboslute angels about getting that one month deposit back to me) but if I didn't have that kind of a relationship set up I'd probably either stay at Big John's (week or so) or one of those places opposite MBK (for a monthly situation).
ghostdog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, but the impression that I'm drawing from Big John's website is that it's basically a hostel and doesn't have any rooms with a private bathroom. Is that correct?

I didn't realize that there were so many monthly apartment rentals, or that the rates hadn't gone up very much since the last time I was there several years ago. This is a definite option but there is, as Sheep-Goats points out here, the danger of not getting your deposit back. Any places anyone can recommend that can be trusted? (Feel free to pm me if you wish.) Thanks again.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ghostdog:

Maybe you could hang out at Big John's for a few days while scouting for a real apartment?

As I mentioned above, you'd definitely be in the right neighborhood for that.

Small, furnished studios with air start out around 4,000 Baht per month.

I agree 100%; a private bathroom is a MUST.

http://thaiapartment.com/ (Thai Apartment)

http://www.mrroomfinder.com/ (Mr. Room Finder)

http://www.click4apartment.com/ (Click-4-Apartment)

http://www.easyhorpak.com/index.php?lang=en (EasyHorpak)
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog wrote:

I didn't realize that there were so many monthly apartment rentals, or that the rates hadn't gone up very much since the last time I was there several years ago. This is a definite option but there is, as Sheep-Goats points out here, the danger of not getting your deposit back. Any places anyone can recommend that can be trusted? (Feel free to pm me if you wish.) Thanks again.

Well, not really monthly apartment rentals -- but a lot of hotels are set up with monthly rates. Note that hotels with monthly rates also tend to require deposits and cleaning/electrical fees. The places I mentioned opposite MBK are definetly "guest house" type places, but they do have ensuite bathrooms and aircon.

I'm sure you can email Big Johns to see if they have bathrooms and whatnot in there. Most guesthouses in Thailand aren't shared room affairs like they are in more expensive countries, so the question really ends up being "Do you have aircon / private bath?"
ghostdog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info, folks, with a special nod to Kent for the apartment rental websites (stumbled across one of them on my own, but I doubt very much I would have found them all). I think I will try the area near the National Stadium first, perhaps on a weekly basis, and then shop around for one of the less expensive furnished/serviced places. It would probably help if I knew where I was going to work first, don't you think?

Any other ideas, please feel free to pass them on.
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ghostdog wrote:
It would probably help if I knew where I was going to work first, don't you think?

Absolutely. Living more than walking distance from work in Bangkok isn't really necessary and most of the time doing so ends up being a major headache. If you school happens to be two or three minutes walk from a BTS station then you could also reasonably live anywhere along the BTS and still have a fine time getting to work (BTS On Nut is famous for cheap rent, and a few other things...).
ghostdog

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what other things might those be, he asked, batting his eyes innocently? Embarassed
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Libraries

Lots of public libraries down in that neck O' the woods,

he said, batting his eyes innocently. Twisted Evil
ghostdog

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I always have been a voracious reader.... Rolling Eyes
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent F. Kruhoeffer wrote:
Libraries

Lots of public libraries down in that neck O' the woods,

he said, batting his eyes innocently. Twisted Evil

That and that big Tesco.
amandabarrick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you're still looking, but the Woodlands Inn is 470 THB per night, private bathroom, A/C, quiet, but a long walk from the MRT station.
It is also not very clean, and the bed is not great, but you get what you pay for.

www.woodlandsinn.org

Another hotel worth checking out is in Chinatown called "The Golden Chain" across the street from the Grand China Princess on Yaowarat Rd. It was cleaner and more comfortable than Woodlands, but the street is soooo noisy even at night, so try to get a room not facing the street.
also around 500 THB.

AB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: