Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chryanvii

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I changed jobs and am now teaching again. Started new job October 10. Got the release letter from the old job. Have gotten the health check. As far as I know, the FAO has submitted the application.

But...I have not gone to the police station yet. They mentioned I will be going either Monday or Tuesday of next week. I thought I had to report to the police station within 10 days of arrival in order to be safe?

Will my new residence permit possibly be denied because of this?
Opiate

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chryanvii wrote:
I changed jobs and am now teaching again. Started new job October 10. Got the release letter from the old job. Have gotten the health check. As far as I know, the FAO has submitted the application.

But...I have not gone to the police station yet. They mentioned I will be going either Monday or Tuesday of next week. I thought I had to report to the police station within 10 days of arrival in order to be safe?

10 days? ....24 hours.
Get it done now.

EDIT: Although unlikely, you can be fined and/or deported. Light a fire under somebody at your school and bang this out.
PandaPandemonium

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chryanvii wrote:

I had a case where my school didn't want to get the residence permit for me (they though that way I will either stay with them longer since I am protected in this city only and can't move out of it (meaning change jobs) or I will have to return to my own country). After a colleague of mine and me put some pressure on them, they had to obtain it for us.
cowandchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="chryanvii"]I changed jobs and am now teaching again. Started new job October 10. Got the release letter from the old job. Have gotten the health check. As far as I know, the FAO has submitted the application.

Will my new residence permit possibly be denied because of this?[/quote]

[b]I am not in China; however, I am considering it. Why do you go to a police station? [/b]
Kiwi303

Location: Chong Qing Jiao Tong Da Xue, Xue Fu Da Dao, Nan An Qu, Chong Qing Shi, P. R China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cowandchicken wrote:

I am not in China; however, I am considering it. Why do you go to a police station?

To get a Residence Permit.

China is a Totalitarian state, part of that means that they want to know where everyone is at all times. Your Visa gets you in the borders, but then you have to register your residence with the police (Public Safety Bureau, PSB) where you will be living. Hotels do this automatically as part of check-in on the case of tourists, but employees need to get a Residence Permit which is sort of like a Green Card for the US but with more information. It lists where you live, who you work for and how long you are allowed to stay in the country.
cowandchicken

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Kiwi303"][quote="cowandchicken"]
[b]I am not in China; however, I am considering it. Why do you go to a police station? [/b][/quote]

To get a Residence Permit.

China is a Totalitarian state, part of that means that they want to know where everyone is at all times. Your Visa gets you in the borders, but then you have to register your residence with the police (Public Safety Bureau, PSB) where you will be living. Hotels do this automatically as part of check-in on the case of tourists, but employees need to get a Residence Permit which is sort of like a Green Card for the US but with more information. It lists where you live, who you work for and how long you are allowed to stay in the country.[/quote]

I think all countries do the same, except it is called an alien registration card and you get it at immigration.
Kiwi303

Location: Chong Qing Jiao Tong Da Xue, Xue Fu Da Dao, Nan An Qu, Chong Qing Shi, P. R China

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, most countries, once they are satisfied you have a valid entry visa, sufficient funds or a valid work permit and a job with which to support yourself, don't care where you stay. China on the other hand wants to know which apartment you live in, and if you move apartments, they want to know where your new place is.
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at the list of documents needed to submit for a z visa on zvs.com (Zierer Visa Service, recommended in one of the other threads here). I'm confused about the idea that I should submit "a copy of an itinerary or e-ticket showing entry and exit dates." I don't know these things. My plan is to sign a one-year contract in China and possibly renew it, but possibly return to the US after that year. I was hoping to be able to purchase an open ticket from the airline. But I need to choose an exit date before applying for my visa?
dean_a_jones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I look at the site, it doesn't seem to request that. The generic visa application form might ask for it, as it also covers other visa types, but you would only write in estimated dates as opposed to show documents. Until you have your visa, I would not book tickets (I think the embassy themselves recommends this, or used to).
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw that, I was looking under "Business visa, multiple entry." Afterward, I realized that the Z Visa is the work visa, not the business visa, so I started over.
Also, I called the place with my questions, and I was told that estimated dates are fine on a Z visa app.
Menino80

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am here on a tourist visa, 1 year mulitiple entry.

I originally came to study but was offered a really good job which I took. I recently moved into an apt after staying in a hotel and then on a friends couch for the last month.

Now that I have a housing contract, what do I have to do? I don't have a work visa yet, is that required for the residence permit application? My employer seems to think that I need a housing contract before I can apply for the permit to get the visa.

Their thinking is Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, then Visa. Is this correct?

edit: I checked with a friend who works for a Visa agency and this was her response, in English and Chinese. This is for people who come on an F or L and want to switch to a Z:

Procedure:
step 1: apply for a employment licence; 11 working days;
step 2: change L to Z 2month residence certificate; or apply for working invitation letter and go to HK or foreign countries to apply for a one-month Z visa; 5 working days;
step 3:; apply for employment certificate; 5 working day;
step 4: extend 2 month residence certificate to 1yr; 10 working days;

第一步:就业许可申请(11个工作日)

第二步:
A 工作邀请函境外申请(5个工作日)
B 境内变签 不用出境 (L/F to Z) (5个工作日)
第三步: 就业证申请(5个工作日)
第四步:居留许可一年申请(5个工作日)

If anyone knows differently please let me know.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Menino80 wrote:
Their thinking is Residence Permit, Foreign Expert Certificate, then Visa. Is this correct?

i believe this is backwards.
andre818

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I know my questions have been answered before, but to be honest with you I am too tired to browse through 15 pages and try to find the answer that I am looking for. Anyways my question is this, how long does it take to get a Zvisa issued and also do I have to go to my home country to receive an invitation? Can my employer just send the invitation to the country where I am now? Thank you.

And yes the country where I am now has a Chinese Embassy.

Thank you
jaydizzle

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andre818 wrote:
Alright, I know my questions have been answered before, but to be honest with you I am too tired to browse through 15 pages and try to find the answer that I am looking for. Anyways my question is this, how long does it take to get a Zvisa issued and also do I have to go to my home country to receive an invitation? Can my employer just send the invitation to the country where I am now? Thank you.

And yes the country where I am now has a Chinese Embassy.

Thank you

If you're too tired to look for it, I'm too tired to tell you.
big_big_bang_theory_fan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"the doctors word" ... not hilarious, but stunningly hilarious

Ignorance of the process or law is not a defense. Google is an amazing thing, even in China.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 15 of 29

Jump to: