Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeacherInChina

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Peruvian.

I am assuming this makes things more difficult.....

Being single, the whole document/Visa race every year or so is hard enough. I can only imagine the headaches of having to coordinate three people.

Any updates ? Is it going to be China or are you going to remain in Korea?
mcgaugheygary

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 4:57 am    Post subject: Three 30 day Tourist visas? Problems or what? Reply with quote

I've quite teaching at a small university and I will begin grad school at another university in Nanjing (NanDa) The problem as it is developing is that I will need visas to get me through the summer. Are there any big problems in getting 3 tourist visas in a row?
Mephisto

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all,
I taught English at a small university for 2 years back in 2005-2007. All the paper work - the Z visa, the red book, police bureau, etc, was done properly, and I left the school on good terms. I would now like to go back to China and teach in a private english school (regular mill kind, Shanghai) - but I am faced with doing the whole Z visa procedure all over again.
1)Is there a way to transfer that old expert's certificate to the new school?
2) I reside in Germany now, but my nationality is Canadian. Would I have problems applying for the Z visa with my Canadian Passport from Germany (I actually have dual citizenship with another European country, so I am using that nationality for my stay in Germany)?
3) How safe is the HK run nowadays? It used to be popular in 2005, but now it seems things are more strict.
4) Are 2 years teaching in China (plus say 3-4 years unofficial teaching in Canada and Germany), 30 years of age and clean medical record good enough to get an expert's certificate in Shanghai? I have never done the Tefl/Tesl certificates; are they really that important right now?

I booked my plane ticket for very early September, and have already had some replies from various schools. Is 3 months enough to complete the whole application process?

Thank you to whoever replies,
Cheers,
Mephisto
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YOu won't be able to transfer the old cert.

USUALLY, you can apply in the country where you're a citizen OR where you have legal residence. So even though you're in germany on another passport, you should be able to apply as a Canadian in Germany for the Z visa. I did something similar while in South America. Check and ask though! Each and every embassy and consulate is different.

I thought about going to HK for a visa run, but thought it wasn't worth it. If I can't get my docs beforehand, I'm not going.
mike w

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If I can't get my docs beforehand, I'm not going.

Best advice I've seen on here for ages.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mike w wrote:
Quote:
If I can't get my docs beforehand, I'm not going.

Best advice I've seen on here for ages.

Not to say that I haven't done it before. I was on an F visa for over 6 months.

Just saying I've gotten smarter over the years Laughing

Plus, wouldn't risk it with a baby. It's one thing if you want to go the semi legal route if you're single, another when you have a little one depending on you to make the right decisions.
lemak

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherInChina wrote:
Naturegirl, I was in a similar bind last year. I was in Bangkok and I was not permitted to apply for the z-visa because, I presume, of my visa status in Thailand - tourist visa.

Yet for me earlier in the year on a Thai entry visa it was no problem getting the Z. In fact I found it the most straightforward process of the whole application process. Everything else before and after has been a monumental *beep* up.

Moving on, I guess.
IvanaShaanxi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Three 30 day Tourist visas? Problems or what? Reply with quote

mcgaugheygary wrote:
I've quite teaching at a small university and I will begin grad school at another university in Nanjing (NanDa) The problem as it is developing is that I will need visas to get me through the summer. Are there any big problems in getting 3 tourist visas in a row?

this. and how do you get your L visas after your residence permit expires?

anyone. pls?
L00kingforwork

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the Z-visa sponsor and the place of employment in China.

Is it true that the school that sponsors my Z-visa and the place of employment must be in the same province? In other words, if my employer is located in Shanghai and my Z-visa is from there, but they want me to work in Guangzhou, is that illegal?
L00kingforwork

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I may have foun the answer to my question. Accordig to the "Rules for he Administration of Foreigners in China" under article 24, it states:

The employer of the foreign employee in China shall be the same as specified in his Employment License.

When the foreigner switches employers within the area designated by the Certificate Office but stays in a job of the same nature, the change must be approved by the original Certificate Office and recorded in his Employment Permit.

If the foreigner is to be employed outside the area designated by the Certificate Office or switch employer within original designated area while taking up jobs of a different nature, he must go through formalities for a new Employment License.

Does that mean the employer and one's place of employment have to be in the same place (province) unless it is initially specified that one could work in other areas?
GeminiTiger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

L00kingforwork wrote:

Does that mean the employer and one's place of employment have to be in the same place (province) unless it is initially specified that one could work in other areas?

No this refers specifically to type of work. IE, education vs business.

You can move provinces doing the same job using the same z-visa but you must get all your items formally transferred each year. In other words you will need a new resident permit after you move.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
The Steakinator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: In one week, I'm heading to China for the first time to teach. I understand that from the time I enter, I have one month to change my Z-visa that I entered on into a residence permit and pay the $454US for my wife and I (residence permit; medical checks; authenticating of our marriage certificate - which, miraculously, the official agreed he would do in country; etc.) The company I was hired by wants to take me to the government office and start the paperwork the day after I get there. I'm really not keen on the idea of doing it right away. First, I've never been in China and I have no idea what it's like - I or my wife might hate it and we'll want to leave. In that case, we've paid $454 for nothing. Second, the company that I'm working for might put me in a horrible place to work (they're a recruiter who supplies teacher in a specific city), so, even if I like China, I might end up leaving just because of a horrible work environment.

That being said, from the time you arrive, how long does it take for the residence permit to get processed? I told the company I want to wait two weeks - they'll probably insist I do it immediately. Is it really necessary to process your residence permit paperwork immediately?

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of us had never been to China before coming here to work so your situation is not unique.

From the time your documents are submitted to the PSB for processing it normally takes a week or two to get your passport (with residence permit) back in your hands. Yours may take a bit longer since you're a couple and it sounds like you have a bit of extra documentation to deal with (I'm only guessing on that). It's not necessary to process the residence permit right away but if the company/school wants to do it right away I'm afraid your reasoning for delaying it (we might not like it here and might not stay) isn't going to fly. People who come to China more often complain about things taking too long and complaints about a school getting things done quickly is a bit odd. If you're not sure about coming to China, and it sounds like you're not, you might want to cancel your ticket now and make other plans.

Last edited by 7969 on Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 am; edited 1 time in total
dogUNLEASHED

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Steakinator wrote:
I understand that from the time I enter, I have one month to change my Z-visa that I entered on into a residence permit and pay the $454US for my wife and I (residence permit; medical checks; authenticating of our marriage certificate - which, miraculously, the official agreed he would do in country; etc.) The company I was hired by wants to take me to the government office and start the paperwork the day after I get there. I'm really not keen on the idea of doing it right away. First, I've never been in China and I have no idea what it's like - I or my wife might hate it and we'll want to leave. In that case, we've paid $454 for nothing.

How much of the $454 is for the residency permit, the foreign expert's certificate, and medical check? I paid a lot for the Z visa, so I'm not very keen on paying several hundred more dollars on top of what I've paid already.
reactionary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, my visa renewal just got denied. Immigration apparently said my address (I don't know which address they're looking at) didn't match my police registration slip. However, looking at my registration, that's where I live. It's up to date.

My company's HR solution is to register again...but I don't even know who has the wrong information.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 18 of 29

Jump to: