Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
golsa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
You need 6 months left to obtain a Z-visa? I thought that was just for tourist visas? Has anyone left Korea and gone to BKK to obtain a China Z-visa recently??

You need 6 months left on your passport to get a z-visa.

Regarding the original poster's question, I used a visa agent to get my visa from the Washington D.C. office. Houston is the proper office for my home state, but the agent got it done.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MetaFitX wrote:
You need 6 months left to obtain a Z-visa? I thought that was just for tourist visas? Has anyone left Korea and gone to BKK to obtain a China Z-visa recently??

CTS said they could help me get it if I had less than 6 months. I'd contact them. People seem to go to HK and BKK a lot.
FlyingJames

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school needs an original copy of a reference letter to process my work visa application. Is this standard for China to request an original document? Apparently this is needed to obtain a letter of invitation, which will be sent to me, which I then will take to my local Chinese consulate. Then this will give me a 30 day Z Visa.

The funny thing is my reference letter is all computer generated, not hand-written, except for the signature. It's puzzling that they need me to send a hard copy through mail. I really dislike the notion of sending originals.
clarke501

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering whether somebody could clarify something for me? I am a British native, but currently in Spain. May I apply for a Z visa at the Chinese consulate here in Spain or do I have to return to the UK to do it? Thanks in advance.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clarke501 wrote:
May I apply for a Z visa at the Chinese consulate here in Spain

*Probably*. Some provinces require you to go home to get the Z, but most will allow you to do it in the country you are residing (or even a tourist) in. Confirm it with the school, and additionally ensure they tell the PSB where you will collect the visa. The invitation letter will specify this, and if they forget to include it then likely you'll be S.O.L and have to head home.
Check also with the embassy in Spain as to whether they will require you to provide a completed medical check when you apply for the visa.
canrun30

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, it there any general consensus as to whether the Z visa can be obtained in Hong Kong at the moment? I'm an American, will have all my Z visa-related documents in-hand soon, and will begin a job at a university in Guangdong in August. I wanted to come for longer than the 30-day window to visit my wife's family in Guangxi, but wanted to make sure it is currently possible to obtain the Z visa in Hong Kong. I read that as long as the invitation letter says the visa will be obtained in Hong Kong it should not be an issue. Thanks for any help or insights!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your school sends you the work permit and invitation letter, and they indicate Hong Kong as the place where you'll be getting the visa, then you can get it in Hong Kong. Make sure your school knows you want to get the visa there, not somewhere else.

Don't get the visa too early. You have to be in China within 90 days of the date your visa is issued, and once you enter you have 30 days to get your residence permit processed. If you're starting work at a university at beginning of September then it would be a good idea to arrive in China no earlier than the end of July. If I've calculated correctly you shouldn't get your visa before 1 May, or else you could have problems.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

7969 wrote:
......If you're starting work at a university at beginning of September then it would be a good idea to arrive in China no earlier than the end of July. If I've calculated correctly you shouldn't get your visa before 1 May, or else you could have problems.

if canrun arrives early august, will there be anyone at the school to begin
processing? school offices will be closed, FAO will be back in her hometown.
you get 30 days to apply for the RP, but to do that you still need local
police registration, health certificate and FEC first. if he visits the family
first, then arrives at the school with less than a week left on the visa
window, getting all that done in time to apply may be difficult.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can all that get done in time if he arrives at the beginning of August? It can, depends on the efficiency of the school and the local authorities though. But arriving in China closer to the work start date is better and causes fewer problems for everyone. Sounds like his plan ("wanted to come for longer than the 30-day window") was to arrive in China even before the end of July, which would be a bad idea.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all in the timing. if he wants to spend the summer in china, it's possible.

but he gots to coordinate with his FAO. he has to explain exactly what
he wants to do. in his case ("come for longer than the 30-day window to
visit my wife's family in Guangxi"), he shouldn't bother with hong kong.

get the visa in the us, then plan to arrive at his school a couple weeks
before the end of the semester. that way he can register with the local
police and get his "healthy check," which will let him then get the FEC and
RP. he's then free to roam around the countryside for the summer.
the school may be able to store all that luggage he brought with him,
rather than dragging it all over guangxi and back.
canrun30

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right--good points all. The uni. told me that I should not enter any earlier than August 10th for an August 26th start date. I have not asked them about the Hong Kong aspect yet--I'll bet dollars to donuts they'll say it can't be done.

My thought was/is to enter in, say, early July on an L visa and then go to HK in mid-August to convert to the Z. The uni. says they can't start any visa processing until the contract begins on August 26th.

Any stumbling blocks I'm not noticing? Thanks!

(I graduate with an MA TESOL in June, so could not come over before then anyhow.)
canrun30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update from my university and one that may be helpful to others: NO employer in Guangdong can allow their worker to go to HK to convert the Z visa. Other provinces most likely can. So, case solved.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canrun30 wrote:

My thought was/is to enter in, say, early July on an L visa and then go to HK in mid-August to convert to the Z. The uni. says they can't start any visa processing until the contract begins on August 26th.

all things are possible. i wanted to get my processing done before the
summer and to have the apartment available for storing my stuff until
i finished traveling. i asked for changes to the contract. start date of june
1st or so, and apartment available immediately. i also added a line that
pay would not begin prior to september. they agreed.

if they want you, it shouldn't be any trouble. in fact, easier for them. FAO
won't have to arrive early to meet you at the airport, get you settled, start
the processing at the beginning of the semester. AND they don't have to
worry that their new hire won't show.
canrun30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Choudofu, but in this case unfortunately not all things are possible. My university can't (wont?) put "Hong Kong" on the invitation letter, making the trip a moot point. I'd be interested to know, though, if others working in GD have been able to obtain the Z visa in HK.
Asiateacher

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually only got a Z visa once. Now I prefer not to go through the hassle, since nobody seems to care anyway...

Has anyone had an issue with this before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 20 of 29

Jump to: