Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3325
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Asiateacher wrote:
I actually only got a Z visa once. Now I prefer not to go through the hassle, since nobody seems to care anyway...

Has anyone had an issue with this before?


nah, nobody.

............unless you count the ones who got arrested and/or deported.
and the ones with no legal recourse when their boss screws 'em over.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Xanthos



Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 139
Location: Beijing

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know, in the case that one's passport has become full and one has received one's new passport, whether one must get one's Z visa transferred to one's new passport within 10 days of:

1) Entering China with both old and new passsports. OR
2) Receiving one's new passport from within China.

Question
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
choudoufu



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 3325
Location: Mao-berry, PRC

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xanthos wrote:
Does anyone know, in the case that one's passport has become full and one has received one's new passport, whether one must get one's Z visa transferred to one's new passport within 10 days of:

1) Entering China with both old and new passsports. OR
2) Receiving one's new passport from within China.

Question


why transfer the z-visa? that only allows you to enter one time and then
you must get your residence permit, at which time the z-visa is cancelled.

you might need to get a new residence permit in the new passport, but
probably not. have your FAO contact the PSB in your province to
confirm the rules that apply to you.

i got my new passport in february, and must travel with both passports
until i get the new RP in july.......per Hainan PSB.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
par20



Joined: 16 Feb 2013
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering, how strict is the "rule that isn't a rule" to get a Z Visa under the age of 24? I just graduated college two weeks ago, and have a TEFL certificate. I've worked through college but obviously don't have 2 years of post-graduation work. I'm turning 22 in August.

I've read a lot on this and have gotten various answers. I'd like to know the most up-to-date information anyone has on this! I have an interview coming up for Guangdong, and heard that the rule is less strict in the south. Is this true? And where is this rule enforced more and less? Will I face this rule in obtaining the residence visa or any other necessary documents to teach in China?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Edit: I see some posts on here that Guangdong is actually very strict about this rule...so that answers that part, unfortunately...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neon5



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if someone could clarify the best way forward for me in regards to this situation:

-I'm not currently in China.

-My permanent job starts in September, I am about to receive the working permit.

-I have applied for summer jobs from mid-July to August.

What sort of jugglery would I be playing visa wise? Do you only get to use a Z Visa once?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kysorb



Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Posts: 253
Location: Beijing

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon5 wrote:
I'm wondering if someone could clarify the best way forward for me in regards to this situation:

-I'm not currently in China.

-My permanent job starts in September, I am about to receive the working permit.

-I have applied for summer jobs from mid-July to August.

What sort of jugglery would I be playing visa wise? Do you only get to use a Z Visa once?


Yea you can't do this. From the moment you enter the country your employer (the one who is attached to your Z visa) has 30 days to get you on to a work permit. ( YOUR Z VISA IS NOT A WORK PERMIT) you must be in country to get that.

If they don't you are illegal. and they generally need all 30 days to get this done.. If you go early with out telling them you will be finished before you even started...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neon5



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kysorb wrote:
Neon5 wrote:
I'm wondering if someone could clarify the best way forward for me in regards to this situation:

-I'm not currently in China.

-My permanent job starts in September, I am about to receive the working permit.

-I have applied for summer jobs from mid-July to August.

What sort of jugglery would I be playing visa wise? Do you only get to use a Z Visa once?


Yea you can't do this. From the moment you enter the country your employer (the one who is attached to your Z visa) has 30 days to get you on to a work permit. ( YOUR Z VISA IS NOT A WORK PERMIT) you must be in country to get that.

If they don't you are illegal. and they generally need all 30 days to get this done.. If you go early with out telling them you will be finished before you even started...


The Z Visa will not be used at the wrong time, thank you for the input.

What would the situation be, say if I was to work on a business Visa for the 6 week summer job? Then take a trip to Hong Kong and enter on my Z Visa?

Alternatively my permanent employers may be willing to start my contract two months earlier, those two months being unworked and unpaid. I could enter on the said Z Visa, allow them to begin the Residency process and in the meantime work on the summer camp. This seems like a long winded option though and the business visa should surely be a viable one.

Any positively constructive suggestions are welcome!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roadwalker



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 1459
Location: Ch

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon5 wrote:
Kysorb wrote:
Neon5 wrote:
I'm wondering if someone could clarify the best way forward for me in regards to this situation:

-I'm not currently in China.

-My permanent job starts in September, I am about to receive the working permit.

-I have applied for summer jobs from mid-July to August.

What sort of jugglery would I be playing visa wise? Do you only get to use a Z Visa once?


Yea you can't do this. From the moment you enter the country your employer (the one who is attached to your Z visa) has 30 days to get you on to a work permit. ( YOUR Z VISA IS NOT A WORK PERMIT) you must be in country to get that.

If they don't you are illegal. and they generally need all 30 days to get this done.. If you go early with out telling them you will be finished before you even started...


The Z Visa will not be used at the wrong time, thank you for the input.

What would the situation be, say if I was to work on a business Visa for the 6 week summer job? Then take a trip to Hong Kong and enter on my Z Visa?

Alternatively my permanent employers may be willing to start my contract two months earlier, those two months being unworked and unpaid. I could enter on the said Z Visa, allow them to begin the Residency process and in the meantime work on the summer camp. This seems like a long winded option though and the business visa should surely be a viable one.

Any positively constructive suggestions are welcome!


I can't imagine that China, or any other country will allow you to simultaneously hold two visas in one passport and further choose which one you are planning to use. I also cannot imagine your "permanent employers" allowing you to enter early, and agree to run around getting the documents they/you will need to be in legal status (in the summer holiday!), and agreeing in the eyes of the government to be responsible for you, while you work for another company/school.

Really, for your first year, especially if you already have arranged employment, a "pre-job" or any other trip into China before you are expected to arrive is going to end in a disaster. Don't do it. When you have a Residence Permit for the following September, either by renewing at your soon to be school, or by transferring within the time constraints to a new school, then you could consider summer work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Javelin of Radiance



Joined: 01 Jul 2009
Posts: 1187
Location: The West

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can't have two visas for the same country in your passport at the same time (def. true for China visas). If you're getting your Z visa where you are now then that's it for you. You can't show up and get another visa just for the summer because that'll cancel out your Z visa.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
it'snotmyfault



Joined: 14 May 2012
Posts: 527

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon5 wrote:
Kysorb wrote:
Neon5 wrote:
I'm wondering if someone could clarify the best way forward for me in regards to this situation:

-I'm not currently in China.

-My permanent job starts in September, I am about to receive the working permit.

-I have applied for summer jobs from mid-July to August.

What sort of jugglery would I be playing visa wise? Do you only get to use a Z Visa once?


Yea you can't do this. From the moment you enter the country your employer (the one who is attached to your Z visa) has 30 days to get you on to a work permit. ( YOUR Z VISA IS NOT A WORK PERMIT) you must be in country to get that.

If they don't you are illegal. and they generally need all 30 days to get this done.. If you go early with out telling them you will be finished before you even started...


The Z Visa will not be used at the wrong time, thank you for the input.

What would the situation be, say if I was to work on a business Visa for the 6 week summer job? Then take a trip to Hong Kong and enter on my Z Visa?

Alternatively my permanent employers may be willing to start my contract two months earlier, those two months being unworked and unpaid. I could enter on the said Z Visa, allow them to begin the Residency process and in the meantime work on the summer camp. This seems like a long winded option though and the business visa should surely be a viable one.

Any positively constructive suggestions are welcome!


I presume this is a public school job in which case they're very unlikely to process your residency two months early. Everyone is on holiday over the summer.

You also need to clarify with the school that you can get your Z-visa in HK. It'll specify where on the invitation letter, some places require you to enter from your home country.

Also by the time you've gone to HK, forked out for a business visa, at your expense?!! Then done another round trip to HK to get your Z-visa, is it really worth the hassle and expense for a six week summer job?

A lot of people frown at the idea of working on a business visa too, you're not supposed to, but lots of people do it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Neon5



Joined: 04 Jul 2011
Posts: 13

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I can see that a summer camp job would be by far quite complicated without current employment in China. In that case I'll be looking for work over the summer in my home country and finally heading off as expected in September.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
roadwalker



Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 1459
Location: Ch

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neon5 wrote:
Thanks for the replies, I can see that a summer camp job would be by far quite complicated without current employment in China. In that case I'll be looking for work over the summer in my home country and finally heading off as expected in September.


Good move. And good luck in September.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newinSeoul



Joined: 19 Sep 2005
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read this thread and am still not sure about the answer.

Is it possible to get a Z-visa in Korea with less than 6 months on my ARC?

One poster above said less than 6 months on my passport.. I am very confused. I called a travel agent who issues Chinese visas, but he spoke little English.

If anyone can confirm my question, it would really make my day/week/year!

I have been calling around and trying to find the answer, but I can never get 100% confirmation.

I have a job in China for September, and my ARC in Korea runs out at the end of August. I don't want to have to go to Hong Kong to get a visa if I can get one here in Korea. Are there any expats who have gotten a Z-visa in Korea to go to China? Thank you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lemak



Joined: 19 Nov 2011
Posts: 368

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

newinSeoul wrote:
I've read this thread and am still not sure about the answer.

Is it possible to get a Z-visa in Korea with less than 6 months on my ARC?

One poster above said less than 6 months on my passport.. I am very confused. I called a travel agent who issues Chinese visas, but he spoke little English.

If anyone can confirm my question, it would really make my day/week/year!

I have been calling around and trying to find the answer, but I can never get 100% confirmation.

I have a job in China for September, and my ARC in Korea runs out at the end of August. I don't want to have to go to Hong Kong to get a visa if I can get one here in Korea. Are there any expats who have gotten a Z-visa in Korea to go to China? Thank you.


I wasn't able to. I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread, so sorry about repeating myself. Had to get it done in Thailand. Granted though that was way back in December 2011, which considering the regularity which Asian visa regulations change may as well have been 1911, and possibly has since been altered again.

Any chance of having a kind Korean boss who would consider extending your ARC for another year and then cancelling the thing after you get the Chinese visa and leave Korea?

Likely public schools with the bureaucracy will baulk at the idea, but if you have a good working and personal relationship with a boss in a smaller hagwon they might be willing to help you out. It's all kinds of headaches to explain what you want to do to them though.

What city will you be working in in China? If it's the south it may not be prohibitively expensive to fly in via HGK first.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
newinSeoul



Joined: 19 Sep 2005
Posts: 64

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
newinSeoul wrote:
I've read this thread and am still not sure about the answer.

Is it possible to get a Z-visa in Korea with less than 6 months on my ARC?

One poster above said less than 6 months on my passport.. I am very confused. I called a travel agent who issues Chinese visas, but he spoke little English.

If anyone can confirm my question, it would really make my day/week/year!

I have been calling around and trying to find the answer, but I can never get 100% confirmation.

I have a job in China for September, and my ARC in Korea runs out at the end of August. I don't want to have to go to Hong Kong to get a visa if I can get one here in Korea. Are there any expats who have gotten a Z-visa in Korea to go to China? Thank you.


I wasn't able to. I think I mentioned that earlier in the thread, so sorry about repeating myself. Had to get it done in Thailand. Granted though that was way back in December 2011, which considering the regularity which Asian visa regulations change may as well have been 1911, and possibly has since been altered again.

Any chance of having a kind Korean boss who would consider extending your ARC for another year and then cancelling the thing after you get the Chinese visa and leave Korea?

Likely public schools with the bureaucracy will baulk at the idea, but if you have a good working and personal relationship with a boss in a smaller hagwon they might be willing to help you out. It's all kinds of headaches to explain what you want to do to them though.

What city will you be working in in China? If it's the south it may not be prohibitively expensive to fly in via HGK first.


Hey,
I've been busy trying to find out the answer to the z-visa and it sounds like I don't need six months remaining on my ARC to get a Z-Visa. I talked to a travel agent in Seoul who spoke English, and my Korean friend called a travel agent in Busan and they also said that you don't need six months remaining on your ARC.

For the L-Visa (tourist visa), you do need six months left on your ARC to get a visa. I hope that between the two responses from two different travel agents that this is correct.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 21 of 26

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2011 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Road2Spain - TEFL and Spanish with one year student visa
EBC