Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeKing

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: re: Z visas in hong kong...doable or not? Reply with quote

Spelunker wrote:

What would be helpful is, if people could state their nationality, part of china working, and whether they recently got a Z visa in HK successfully?

Cheers on..
My Z visa was issued in HK just 2 months ago - mid December 2013.

I am a U.S. citizen, working out of Shanghai. However, and not sure if this makes a difference, my application was not based on me being a "teacher".

Anyway, the whole thing was handled by a visa company.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Given that Shanghai has not yet (presumably!) implemented the requirement for a police clearance check from your own country, it would seem no problems from Shanghai then. I can say I had an uphill struggle in Nanjing though and am now stranded in HK. Whether all of jiangsu/china is the same I just do not know....it is all very much a ballache!!!!

Quote:
my application was not based on me being a "teacher".

Perhaps that fact plays in your favour. It seems the humble FT is the one on the receiving end of the nationalism.
Freeman12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My husband and I are moving to teach in Shanghai area. My husband will be applying for a Z Visa in the US before we leave, and I will have to apply for spouse visa. I was told this is because my Bachelor's degree isn't finished yet - I have 5 classes left to go in order to graduate. Is there a way once I graduate to change my visa from spouse to Z visa so I can gain employment?? I read somewhere about 2 yrs work experience after graduation, which I won't be able to "technically" provide them with if I am living in China with my husband while he teaches.

Any suggestions?? Advice? Experience with successful visa runs?
Omniscientfool

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: A detailed example of an application process... Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=106468

Starting from California, ending in Shanxi, with a timeline from Fall 2013 to Spring 2014.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be completing a Z visa run from Hunan province to Hong Kong.
I would like to know if anyone has any information regarding to any
hurdles I might face concerning this? I have the medical check, as
well as the invitation letter, and stamped documents from the school.
Are there any other documents that I might need? Are there any possible
problems that I might encounter? The invitation letter specifies Hong Kong
as the destination to get the Z Visa.
I have printed all of the forms necessary, and have extra photos just in case.
Also, could anyone tell me if they same
day processing is available at the Foreign Affairs office in Hong Kong,
if not could I go through a Visa Agent?

Thanks, I'm just looking for a smooth processing.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: re: many factors Reply with quote

Could well depend on the province (Hunan), mood of the officer you deal with that day, your passport and whether each and every document is 100 percent correct. Yes, they are very much sticklers for red tape and if you have one document missing or one that is perceived to be wrongly filled in or with a mistake and you will be refused. I was only able to get a 2 week tourist visa last time with a UK passport, was told I would need a new passport to apply for longer stay visas. This situation may have changed now according to forever bright.

Good luck!
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate,
I've already gotten all of the documents from Hunan. Just wandering on the state of affairs as far as the FA Office in HK goes.

Also, does anyone happen to know if the Visa Application form needs insurance information? The form that my school sent me has insurance information listed on the application, but the form from the HK website doesn't have insurance information as a requirement.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:42 am    Post subject: if american or a brit... Reply with quote

Be prepared that you may have to go home or be stranded in situ in HK.

This has actually happened, for Hunan you may well be ok though.

Either way, good luck! Wink Shocked
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It worked. Issued a same day visa through an agent.
ymmv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations and thanks for updating your results in the HK run. So few people here do. Good to hear it's still possible, but a few more details would be helpful vis-a-vis the current situation.

Mind telling what nationality you are, as the "HK run" results differs by nationality and by province. You're docs came from Hunan so that may be useful info. Also, you're nationality, as the HK authority appears to treat different applicants from different nationalities differently. Cost, too (Visa cost) as different nationalities are charged different prices depending on the visa cost their home nation charges HK/Mainland nationals.
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ymmv wrote:
Congratulations and thanks for updating your results in the HK run. So few people here do. Good to hear it's still possible, but a few more details would be helpful vis-a-vis the current situation.

Mind telling what nationality you are, as the "HK run" results differs by nationality and by province. You're docs came from Hunan so that may be useful info. Also, you're nationality, as the HK authority appears to treat different applicants from different nationalities differently. Cost, too (Visa cost) as different nationalities are charged different prices depending on the visa cost their home nation charges HK/Mainland nationals.

American, 2400 hkd. Cts on Hennessy. Had all documents except for one, had the school Fao email me, applied before 10 am, total process took 30 minutes.
ymmv

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! HK stuff changes so much, it's good to have current info for future questioners.
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I did.
Booked hotel reservation and bullet train tickets from Changsha to Shenzhen.
Took the metro to from the Shenzhen North Railway station to the Border station.
Took the metro to Wan Chai district.
Went to the hotel, unpacked, got everything together, went to bed early.
Got up early the next morning, went to the CTS Office on Hennessy Road in Wan Chai. I went at 9, had all of my paperwork excepting one document, I had my FAO email that document to me, I had all of the paperwork prepared for a one day visa application.
I paid the 2400 HKD fee for same day processing, went out of the CTS Office at 10AM, walked back to the hotel after buying breakfast. Walked around Wan Chai and the Causeway area for a few hours, went back, and had lunch.
Goofed off until 6, picked up my passport w/ Z visa.
Booked a bus ticket to the Shen Zhen border station.
Left early the next morning for the border.
Took a taxi to the Shenzhen North Railway station,
booked a fast train back to Chang Sha.
Total cost wasn't cheap, but it can be done in one day, and the school is reimbursing me for all none food related expenses.
Probably around 5000 total spent over the two day period, but I could've arrived in the morning and gotten same day service if it is processed before 10 AM.
Spelunker

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: thanks for the info! Reply with quote

Quote:
American, 2400 hkd

So it would seem that if an American passport is ok, a UK one should be? Either way it seems documents issued from Hunan province are acceptable, did you have to provide a police clearance certificate/check?
coldcucumber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I provided documents from Hunan Province in that regard. A residence print out from the local pol-pol station.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 24 of 29

Jump to: