Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Z Visas and Residence Permits
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Piper2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
My invitation letter / work permit actually arrived yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind (I last did this two years ago).

Anyway, the employer goes to the local government with your documents and gets a work permit and invitation letter. They then send the documents to you. The work permit will say 'work permit' on it. Once you have these documents you then go to an embassy/consulate to apply for a Z visa. If you do not receive a letter with 'work permit' then I doubt you'll be able to get a Z visa.

Once you have the Z visa you can legally enter China to work. Once in China you have 30 days to transfer your Z visa to a Residency Permit.

Shroob, you keep calling it a "work permit" which I think is misleading. I am not sure what that document is but it does have something to do with the work permit. However, and as far as I know, it is not the work permit because the work permit is applied for only after the teacher is in China.
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper2 wrote:
Shroob wrote:
My invitation letter / work permit actually arrived yesterday, so it's fresh in my mind (I last did this two years ago).

Anyway, the employer goes to the local government with your documents and gets a work permit and invitation letter. They then send the documents to you. The work permit will say 'work permit' on it. Once you have these documents you then go to an embassy/consulate to apply for a Z visa. If you do not receive a letter with 'work permit' then I doubt you'll be able to get a Z visa.

Once you have the Z visa you can legally enter China to work. Once in China you have 30 days to transfer your Z visa to a Residency Permit.

Shroob, you keep calling it a "work permit" which I think is misleading. I am not sure what that document is but it does have something to do with the work permit. However, and as far as I know, it is not the work permit because the work permit is applied for only after the teacher is in China.

You're thinking of the Residency Permit - which you have to get within 30 days of arrival and gets put in your passport.

The 'Work Permit' is one of the documents accepted for a Z visa. It's actually called a 'WorkING permit' - so I got the name slightly wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/zdOpxWE.jpg

That's a picture of the one I received last week.
Piper2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Piper2 wrote:
Shroob wrote:

You're thinking of the Residency Permit - which you have to get within 30 days of arrival and gets put in your passport.

The 'Work Permit' is one of the documents accepted for a Z visa. It's actually called a 'WorkING permit' - so I got the name slightly wrong.

http://i.imgur.com/zdOpxWE.jpg

That's a picture of the one I received last week.

Shroob, I opened the link and showed the image to a Chinese friend who agrees that what you have there is a document that allows you to apply for a Z visa. Maybe it is a "Working Permit" in the sense that it is a permit that allows one to apply for a work visa?

Honestly, the actual work permit (FEC booklet in the case of FTs) is applied for once in China and then, finally, the RP is applied for.

Perhaps someone else could give an opinion?
Shroob

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piper2 wrote:

Shroob, I opened the link and showed the image to a Chinese friend who agrees that what you have there is a document that allows you to apply for a Z visa. Maybe it is a "Working Permit" in the sense that it is a permit that allows one to apply for a work visa?

Honestly, the actual work permit (FEC booklet in the case of FTs) is applied for once in China and then, finally, the RP is applied for.

I'm not sure where the confusion is, sorry. You require a working permit and invitation letter to get a Z visa. Once you have the Z visa you can enter China, which is where you then get the Residency Permit and FEC. As far as I'm aware, there is no other 'work permit' other than the sent to you when you apply for a visa.
Piper2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
Piper2 wrote:

I'm not sure where the confusion is, sorry. You require a working permit and invitation letter to get a Z visa. Once you have the Z visa you can enter China, which is where you then get the Residency Permit and FEC. As far as I'm aware, there is no other 'work permit' other than the sent to you when you apply for a visa.

Perhaps I am wrong in calling the FEC a "work permit"? I have often heard it called this. Though maybe it was by people who also refer to RPs as z visas?

Still think the FEC is something like a work permit in the sense it identifies the holder as a teacher at a particular school between certain dates. But I also think you have a valid point.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the school or agency send the work permit and invitation letter to you? And then what do you do with them?
Shroob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vaxa wrote:
So does the school or agency send the work permit and invitation letter to you? And then what do you do with them?

You go to the embassy/consulate and apply for a Z visa.
Vaxa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice 1 shroob thanks buddy
wangdaning

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Chinese on Shroob's document is something like "certificate or permission to work for a foreign national coming to China."

The FEC is to show you are in China and working, not a permission thing.
ajmci

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: how long to obtain a Z visa? Reply with quote

I'm sure there's already info on this subject but can we get an up-to-date view?

One company told me it'll take about a month and a half. They want me to start on Sep 15, so that would mean committing to them now!

However, there's another position I'm interested in. They say "posts start Sep" and that "instructors will be expected to be on campus one week prior to the start of classes", yet the application deadline in Aug 15...

Does the time to obtain a Z Visa depend on company / location / contacts??

Basically, I would prefer the 2nd position but don't want to say no to the 1st one...yet!!
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the time you agree to work at a school and the time you receive the documents to go apply for the Z visa can be 4-6 weeks. It sometimes takes longer in the summer because the bureau that processes this paperwork can get busy. If you want to begin working at a school on 1 September and have the Z visa before you get to China you need to let the school know soon. Like yesterday. For mid-September you should also move fast because on top of the other 4-6 weeks you also need to apply for the visa (couple of days minimum there) and get yourself to China.

I'm just guessing here but that August 15th deadline to apply might only be for people already in China, because they'll have a residence permit that only needs to be switched over and renewed. But even that cutoff date is pretty short notice. Maybe a typo and they meant July 15th.
ajmci

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
From the time you agree to work at a school and the time you receive the documents to go apply for the Z visa can be 4-6 weeks. It sometimes takes longer in the summer because the bureau that processes this paperwork can get busy. If you want to begin working at a school on 1 September and have the Z visa before you get to China you need to let the school know soon. Like yesterday. For mid-September you should also move fast because on top of the other 4-6 weeks you also need to apply for the visa (couple of days minimum there) and get yourself to China.

I'm just guessing here but that August 15th deadline to apply might only be for people already in China, because they'll have a residence permit that only needs to be switched over and renewed. But even that cutoff date is pretty short notice. Maybe a typo and they meant July 15th.

Cheers for info AA.

The position with the Aug 15 deadline was posted on 22 Jul and does mention "one round-trip economy class international airfare" as part of the package. Mysterious!
Imsoconfused44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:38 pm    Post subject: Using a visa processing service Reply with quote

I am waiting to receive my work permit and invitation letter. I have heard it can take multiple attempts to get the z-visa approved. Once I get those necessary documents from the school, is it possible to use a visa processing service to expedite the z-visa application?

I am fully qualified, so I don't anticipate any glitches. I am several hundred miles from the nearest consulate, so it seems to make sense to spend the money using a service that knows exactly what it's doing to get the z-visa processed quickly.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a visa processing service Reply with quote

Imsoconfused44 wrote:
I am waiting to receive my work permit and invitation letter. I have heard it can take multiple attempts to get the z-visa approved.

Bull Chips. Either you're approved or you're not. (i.e., Either you meet qualifications or you don't. One doesn't continue to apply until he is accepted. If the school (or the Ministry of Education) accepts you, the local consulate will accept you. It may be a different story once you arrive in China and take the physical).
Imsoconfused44

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a visa processing service Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
Quote:
It may be a different story once you arrive in China and take the physical.

I passed the physical here in the states, got the form notarized, and the notary authenticated. I will bring the original physical form along with the tests results (blood work, EKG, and chest x-ray) to China.

Any advice on using a visa processing service?

Thanks for your response. I feel more confident about getting everything finalized before Sept. 1.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
Page 26 of 29

Jump to: