Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Chizhou University Job Offer
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Chizhou University Job Offer Reply with quote

Hello all, please I got a job offer from Chizhou University China and I wanted to know if anyone knows about the university. I will like to know a bit more about working there and about the city. The contract is the normal 7500 per month and 16 lessons. [/b]
rioux

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the pay is too low for that many hours for that remote of a region.
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh really? Please could you shed more light on the region?
Curtinca

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you a native speaker? Are you by any chance from a country not recognized as "English-speaking" (Australia, USA, Britain or Canada)?
My reason for asking... If the answer to the second question is "yes", or if you're not a native speaker, you can't afford to be as picky as a native speaker from one of the AABC countries.
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

16@7.5 is average for uni positions. Research the area and former teacher reviews about the school itself. Even as a native speaker (with a BA), it's still a decent gig.

The school has been posting on a regular basis the past few years. Either a high turn over rate or a really shty area.

You can also try to renegotiate for lower hours if the above mentioned is the case.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about the specific details of the school or city your are in but I do know rogerwilco isn't too impressed with living in Anhui.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84789&highlight=hefei

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=104639&highlight=hefei
The bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisHenry15 wrote:
16@7.5 is average for uni positions. Research the area and former teacher reviews about the school itself. Even as a native speaker (with a BA), it's still a decent gig.

The school has been posting on a regular basis the past few years. Either a high turn over rate or a really shty area.

You can also try to renegotiate for lower hours if the above mentioned is the case.

I'd actually say it's above average for a university position.
rizlared

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Chizhou University Job Offer Reply with quote

Onyisco1 wrote:
Hello all, please I got a job offer from Chizhou University China and I wanted to know if anyone knows about the university. I will like to know a bit more about working there and about the city. The contract is the normal 7500 per month and 16 lessons. [/b]

MOD EDITS (2) - For the record, grammar is not the topic of this thread.

The university is on the outskirts of the city, so you will need to use public transport to go shopping etc. There is a regular bus service, but you will need to compete with the students and locals, hope you have a lot of patience! The salary is high for the area, the last two teachers received less than 6500yuan and remember you will be required to attend English corners regularly.

Chizhou is a small city, there is nothing there to interest a foreign visitor other than the JiuHua mountains, which are beautiful, but take an hour to reach.

There are 3 KFC's, the one McDonald's cafe has closed.
There is one large supermarket, named RT Mart, they sell some foreign items such as pasta, cornflakes and biscuits. The other large supermarket in the centre of the city s closing.

There are very few foreign people in ChiZhou, so you need to be happy with your own company or hope any other Foreign teachers are friendly. (Not all are). Being a small and traditional city, few speak English, so be prepared to use body language and or take a student when needed.

In conclusion, as long as you are happy with your own company, don't want a night life and have the patience of a saint to use the public transport, you may need to think twice as this is not the place for you.

Last edited by rizlared on Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd need to know the other bits and pieces - sometimes called a 'package'.
Principally:
Accommodation - free, sole occupancy and on campus.
Travel allowances - international and local.
Subjects - Oral is easy, written a horror show.
16 hours is contact. Marking & prep is additional.
I've found 16 a doddle and even better if you can cover them in 4 days.
As long as the basics are covered the availability of supermarkets are details.
Your first gig should concentrate on 'least downside'. Just getting to grips with the job will take a semester.
Add income via privates in semester 2.
Best
NS
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Curtinca wrote:
Are you a native speaker? Are you by any chance from a country not recognized as "English-speaking" (Australia, USA, Britain or Canada)?
My reason for asking... If the answer to the second question is "yes", or if you're not a native speaker, you can't afford to be as picky as a native speaker from one of the AABC countries.

I am from England.
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
I think the pay is too low for that many hours for that remote of a region.

Thanks. I really do not mind the pay as all I need is the experience on my CV.
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
Not sure about the specific details of the school or city your are in but I do know rogerwilco isn't too impressed with living in Anhui.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=84789&highlight=hefei

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=104639&highlight=hefei

Thank you so much for the information. I appreciate it.
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisHenry15 wrote:

I have been trying to find something but there are no reviews from teachers online. I have a BA and MA in Linguistics. I also have two years experience in teaching English. I really do not mind the salary as long as the area is alright to live in. I have asked the interviewer to give me the contact details of one of the foreign teachers and he says he can't as it is private. I told him to please ask for their permission as I am willing to wait. So I am still waiting.
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Chizhou University Job Offer Reply with quote

rizlared wrote:
Onyisco1 wrote:

MOD EDIT

May I politely suggest grammar is important when teaching in China, poor grammar gives Teachers a bad name.

The university is on the outskirts of the city, so you will need to use public transport to go shopping etc. There is a regular bus service, but you will need to compete with the students and locals, hope you have a lot of patience! The salary is high for the area, the last two teachers received less than 6500yuan and remember you will be required to attend English corners regularly.

Chizhou is a small city, there is nothing there to interest a foreign visitor other than the JiuHua mountains, which are beautiful, but take an hour to reach.

There are 3 KFC's, the one McDonald's cafe has closed.
There is one large supermarket, named RT Mart, they sell some foreign items such as pasta, cornflakes and biscuits. The other large supermarket in the centre of the city s closing.

There are very few foreign people in ChiZhou, so you need to be happy with your own company or hope any other Foreign teachers are friendly. (Not all are). Being a small and traditional city, few speak English, so be prepared to use body language and or take a student when needed.

In conclusion, as long as you are happy with your own company, don't want a night life and have the patience of a saint to use the public transport, you may need to think twice as this is not the place for you.

Thank you so so much, I appreciate this detailed information. Definitely sounds like the campus and city I got my BA from. I will definitely try and get the contact number of one of the foreign teachers. I also do love my own company, I barely go out as long as I have food and books, haha.
I am a black female so I am hoping I will be received well in that area. The interviewer says it is beyond his duty to give me the contact details of one of their foreign teachers. Please what should I do?
Onyisco1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
I'd need to know the other bits and pieces - sometimes called a 'package'.
Principally:
Accommodation - free, sole occupancy and on campus.
Travel allowances - international and local.
Subjects - Oral is easy, written a horror show.
16 hours is contact. Marking & prep is additional.
I've found 16 a doddle and even better if you can cover them in 4 days.
As long as the basics are covered the availability of supermarkets are details.
Your first gig should concentrate on 'least downside'. Just getting to grips with the job will take a semester.
Add income via privates in semester 2.
Best
NS

Hello.
Free accommodation on campus - 2 bedroom apartment. There is a limit to light and water usage though. The contract says when I use too much in a month, I will have to cover the extra expenses.
Not more than 16 lessons but most times 12 lessons.
2200 travel allowance paid at the end of contract.
No help with visa and other application processes before heading to China. When in China then there will be help and payment for residence permit etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: