Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing my monitor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:17 am    Post subject: Bringing my monitor Reply with quote

I have a computer monitor that I want to bring with me.
I will carry it in the original box. Will customs be cool or will they want to tax me or see some receipt?
What about shipping it ?
Janiny

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hah Hah! I misread your topic the first time and thought you wrote: 'Bringing my mother'!

Let the poor woman be! I wanted to say.

Yes, bring your monitor if you're so fond of it (hope your as fond of your mum), but you do realize they have monitors in China? So why bother?
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, if you're coming here to teach you're probably going to have a couple of full suitcases with you. It ain't easy hauling all that stuff halfway around the world, then dragging it through airports and train stations till you get to your destination, esp. in this heat and after a long flight. And you want to be carrying a box with a monitor on top of all that? It's gotta be cheaper and easier to just buy a new one here.
Mark Johnson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't want to be wasteful, and starting up again this is an expense I can avoid. But I see your point.

Oh sorry I didn't post this off topic.
IWTFanAT

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridiculous. There are things you simply don't lug around the world. Rethink you decision to go to China if you can't narrow down the intricacies and simplicities.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IWTFanAT wrote:
Ridiculous. There are things you simply don't lug around the world.

Like a bad attitude?
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have a great airfare deal with your school if it covers monitors in the baggage.
But seriously you do need to travel lite.
Also note the current thread on the things you really need for the teaching task.
Resources should be on a USB device - not hard copy.
Printing and laminating can be accessed in China.
Best
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the benefits of China. Photocopies are extremely cheap (ebooks, emagazines, textbooks). The other posters are right about traveling lite, because you will have to deal with overcrowded transportation (bus, train, limited taxis in certain cities) and really long queues for processing or services. China isn't the cheapest for buying computers/laptops/phones, but definitely good place to find computer parts, such as a monitor/pc accessories.

Cheers,
Aaron
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find out if your school provides a computer. If you go to a public school, your school should provide one.

It should be mentioned in your contract.

Have you considered buying a laptop before you go? Most airlines allow one carry-on. If you are in the States Wal-Mart has various brands with Win7 for $200.00 or so.
Alien abductee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
Find out if your school provides a computer. If you go to a public school, your school should provide one.

Have you considered buying a laptop before you go? Most airlines allow one carry-on. If you are in the States Wal-Mart has various brands with Win7 for $200.00 or so.

Many allow two carry-ons now, one carry-on bag and one smaller "personal item" (camera bag, purse, computer, briefcase). It's supposed to compensate for the reduction in the checked baggage allowance. It doesn't really but it's what we got. And airlines are more strictly enforcing the size of carry-on bags, I don't think a monitor in a box would qualify.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien abductee wrote:
Bud Powell wrote:

Many allow two carry-ons now, one carry-on bag and one smaller "personal item" (camera bag, purse, computer, briefcase). It's supposed to compensate for the reduction in the checked baggage allowance. It doesn't really but it's what we got. And airlines are more strictly enforcing the size of carry-on bags, I don't think a monitor in a box would qualify.

I think most of them allow two now, but I read somewhere that the abuse of the size of the carry-ons may result in a fee for some.
Mark Johnson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, ok

I think some guys here misunderstood me. I'm already in Asia, been here 8 years. Only 3 hours from my China destination. Don't have a job yet.
Don't want to be wasteful. I have 3 bags and the monitor to my name. I figure it out.
Thanks for the discussion.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will they inspect it at customs? Maybe. Being in the box I would think would make it more likely, but -guessing- still unlikely to push you into the 'check out that guy' category. Still, and even though you're already in Asia, I'd sell it or give it away. No need to waste it. Check on Taobao dot com for what a replacement would cost in China. Local stores will be more, in most cases.
ajmci

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fpshangzhou wrote:
China isn't the cheapest for buying computers/laptops/phones, but definitely good place to find computer parts, such as a monitor/pc accessories.

That's interesting - I'm waiting on my Z-visa for my first Chinese position and I have a 5 year old laptop that probably won't be taken.

Would I be better getting a basic laptop here in the UK than buying in China?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1- China customs. Came through Pudong last week on a return from 3 weeks in Thailand. Line got really long and they let 95% of the people through with zero inspections and not even made to chuck your stuff in the xray machine. I've only been requested to put my stuff in the xray machine about 50% and never been asked any questions.

2- If your monitor isnt 220v then leave it home.

3- Chance are of it getting broken are high. Remember that YOU are the only one treating your bag nicely - everyone else will chuck it and it may get buried under 500 pounds of other suitcases

4- You really don't want to lug it around an airport

5- Monitors are not so expensive in China and you can often get things second hand from other expats that are moving on.

6- Sometimes a friendly request to your school brings about desired results.

7- There are more precious things you can bring with you to China.

So consider bringing it with you or getting one in China
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: