Site Search:

Transworld Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
Transworld
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Reporting Withholding of original documents by agent

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve5e

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reporting Withholding of original documents by agent Reply with quote

I hope someone can help? I accepted a job offer with an agent in Beijing and signed a contract. i sent him my original docs to process the visa, however, i have decided not to come to China and terminated the contract with 30 days notice. Now the agent is refusing to return my documents to the UK unless i pay him 5,000rmb. This appears to be illegal. What can i do about the situation? Who can i contact in Beijing to report this crime?
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

write it off and go buy new docs from your uni
JeremyDay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:24 pm    Post subject: Original Documents Reply with quote

I guess original documents just means an original diploma being notarized, certified, and then sent to the Chinese embassy for their certification?

Or he has other documents as well?
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. You sent your documents to China? Whose idea was that?

Where do you live?
jimpellow

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you could contact anybody in China who would care. If you were already there on a proper visa, then you might have some recourse. The exception would be if you sent your passport. The UK government might then twist some arms to get your stuff back.

It was a naive decision to consent to send your originals. I cant think of a valid reason for the recruiter to ask for them, save so he could blackmail you if need be.

Still, it is understandable. It is hard for those who have not experienced the PRC firsthand to know how Machiavellian it can be.

Best of Luck
wangdaning

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The US Navy did something similar to me, not the blackmail bit, just refused to give me my originals (nothing I could do). For future reference, while getting the paperwork for your visa, they should only really need a copy of your documents. The originals and that would be for after you enter and are getting your RP processed, if they even ask then.

Many have been reporting the need to authenticate the copies you send, but they should never need the original.
steve5e

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was told i had to send original certs for the z visa. Also i was being advised by a friend who has been living and working there for 6 years, he put me in touch with the agent, so i assumed everything was legit.

I guess i'll have to write it off? Thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: