Site Search:
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 29 Feb 2012
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 1:00 am    Post subject: Changing visa Reply with quote

I have a question for a colleague: If one has a contract terminated, but then finds another job in the same city, is it possible to get the visa transferred to the next school? This is assuming release letter etc. we're given to the person.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 02 Jun 2015
Posts: 866
Location: Since 2003

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that it largely depends upon the terms under which your contract was terminated.

If you parted with your boss on bad terms, he may march you down to the PSB and have your Z visa changed to a three-day L visa. (Yes, they exist). That will give you enough time to pack up and get out of the country. (I've seen it done)

If your boss isn't a vindictive jerk, you should talk to your new prospective boss and get some sort of guarantee if you will be the one breaking the contract. Perhaps your new employer can talk to the old employer and smooth the way for your departure.

If you know that termination is impending, talk to the new employer and get things lined up ASAP and get yourself packed up and ready to split as soon as your contract ends before your old employer can give you the bum's rush.

As long as there is time left on your residence permit, I don't think there's anything that your former employer can do as long as you have the release and as long as you get out of Dodge City before there's a shoot-out.

Caveat: If you work for a public university and your FAO is a vindictive twenty-something bimbo, good luck, you're in for quite a ride.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 27 Sep 2015
Posts: 122
Location: China, Shaanxi Xi'an

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2016 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That pretty much hits the nail on the head.

It depends on the circumstances regarding the termination and your relationship with your current employer.

No matter where you move to the issue you are going to have is transferring your resident permit and applying for a new foreign experts book. Your new school will not be able to do that without the cancellation documents. The online system simply will not allow the application to proceed.

If you have some time left on the foreign experts certificate and resident permit, they could intentionally cause you trouble by not canceling it. They will know that if they don't you are basically screwed in any new application at least until its expiry. Once it does expire your record will release itself so that a new employer could start a new application however the chances are by then your resident permit would have also ran out and you would have had to leave China anyway.

It really does depend on your relationship with your existing school and their wish to play ball. I have seen issues (particularly in the training center market) where employers have found out you are going to work at a competitor and will do everything to make life as difficult for you as possible.

You don't need to tell them where you are going to work, however they can find out from the online system once a new school starts an application.

Try your best to work things out amicably and ensure that you get your release documents and especially the official cancellation notice that your existing foreign experts certificate is canceled. This can only be obtained from the office that issued it initially.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2016 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China