Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tsinghua University update?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:51 am    Post subject: Tsinghua University update? Reply with quote

I know there was a thread about three years ago on Tsinghua University teaching. Any update on the scene there from FTs in the know? I am considering an offer from there, as a meagre English instructor. But I have to say it doesn't sound like anything much better than a standard ESL job, only less money. I assume the students must be great. Or are they so brain dead from cramming for the gaokao that they have lost all enthusiasm for learning and life?

The campus also doesn't seem particularly attractive. I did go there about 12 years ago, and I wasn't that impressed then. The videos on YouTube suggest it remains a little bland, certainly compared to many universities in western countries.

The one main attraction for me would be designing and teaching programmes. I'm something of a curriculum designer. Designing and delivering programmes at Tsinghua would be enjoyable, and a nice little boost for my career, I should think.
The bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tsinghua University update? Reply with quote

RiverMystic wrote:
I know there was a thread about three years ago on Tsinghua University teaching. Any update on the scene there from FTs in the know? I am considering an offer from there, as a meagre English instructor. But I have to say it doesn't sound like anything much better than a standard ESL job, only less money. I assume the students must be great. Or are they so brain dead from cramming for the gaokao that they have lost all enthusiasm for learning and life?

The campus also doesn't seem particularly attractive. I did go there about 12 years ago, and I wasn't that impressed then. The videos on YouTube suggest it remains a little bland, certainly compared to many universities in western countries.

The one main attraction for me would be designing and teaching programmes. I'm something of a curriculum designer. Designing and delivering programmes at Tsinghua would be enjoyable, and a nice little boost for my career, I should think.

Only reason to go there would be to have it on your C.V.

As you said, the package isn't great. From memory (they offered me a position 2 years ago), it was 10,000/month- 9,000 after tax, shared accommodation (with hot water between 7-9am and 7-9pm), and you had to create your own materials/curriculum.

I know a teacher who worked there in the summer and seems this hasn't changed.

For the qualified/experienced there are better positions out there for sure.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tsinghua University update? Reply with quote

RiverMystic wrote:
shared accommodation

That's all it would take to skip out on it.
The bear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tsinghua University update? Reply with quote

rioux wrote:
RiverMystic wrote:
shared accommodation

That's all it would take to skip out on it.

Yeah, me too. One of the reasons I didn't take the job.

Teachers had their own bedroom but shared everything else. Though, I can't be 100% sure on shared bathroom. Also, there were no cooking facilities and teachers weren't allowed to buy hot plates or rice cookers.

So much for working at a 'top university'.
rioux

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tsinghua University update? Reply with quote

The bear wrote:
Also, there were no cooking facilities and teachers weren't allowed to buy hot plates or rice cookers.

So much for working at a 'top university'.

Incredible.

Were they at least allowed to have a microwave?
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks folks for the input.

There are apartments available for married couples. But they said they require "rent." Don't know how much. Apartments with kitchens cost more.

The pay might be about 14 000 for a PhD, if you teach 18 hours a week. But it seems like a heap of work.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4400 a month for the apartment, I have learned. Seems like they don't really want anyone to work there, other than homeless bums relocating to teach English abroad.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'apartments with kitchens cost more' in the older posts got me.
Ones with windows are even pricier.
I wonder sometimes if the 'name' schools trade on that for teachers as well as students.
A student I met on a train once told me he had accepted a place in the school of Russian language at a big name Beijing school because the prestige mattered more than the major.
He was travelling with his mother and she agreed with this.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
'apartments with kitchens cost more' in the older posts got me.
Ones with windows are even pricier.
I wonder sometimes if the 'name' schools trade on that for teachers as well as students.
A student I met on a train once told me he had accepted a place in the school of Russian language at a big name Beijing school because the prestige mattered more than the major.
He was travelling with his mother and she agreed with this.

They are. The trouble is that the majority of Chinese people would agree with this. It's all about brand/name.

My Chinese boss couldn't accept the university I'm going to teach at next semester, kept listing 'better' universities. It was futile trying to tell him that it may be good for students but things that matter to me, like accommodation, location, salary, teaching atmosphere, workload etc are better elsewhere.

I've found that for foreign English teachers (big difference here) teaching at those universities...well, let's say they ask a lot but give a little.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crazy thing is that salary etc is pretty much the same across all state and provincial tertiaries including vocationals.
I would rather have a decent apartment in a 2nd tier school than a hovel at a Beijing 'prestigious' outfit.
An academic may choose prestigious school, but not a lowly FT.
The bear

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
The crazy thing is that salary etc is pretty much the same across all state and provincial tertiaries including vocationals.
I would rather have a decent apartment in a 2nd tier school than a hovel at a Beijing 'prestigious' outfit.
An academic may choose prestigious school, but not a lowly FT.

Exactly.

The only people that job would appeal to would be those that care about it on a C.V. or just want the experience of working there for a year (the naive as well, I suppose).

These unis get by on name only.

Put things on paper but with no names e.g. compare the salary, cost of living, apartment, work duties etc. Then see which job you prefer.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The offer and housing does seem shocking but I'm just wondering if you would be a shoe in for ridiculous part time jobs if you worked there.

Maybe you'd be asked to judge a competition and could ask for 500 an hour because they could sa 'today our judge is a teacher from Peking! or Tsinghua!'.

Also I wonder if the tuhao people who send their kids to Beijing would foam at te mouth at the chance to have a foreigner wh oworks at Tsinghua teach their kids, they could brag about it at a lunchtime meeting.

Then again maybe they wouldn't care and still insist on only paying 150.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:

I am sure if they found out what Tsinghua was actually paying their foreign teachers they wouldn't want to pay anymore.
RiverMystic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LarssonCrew wrote:
The offer and housing does seem shocking but I'm just wondering if you would be a shoe in for ridiculous part time jobs if you worked there.

Maybe you'd be asked to judge a competition and could ask for 500 an hour because they could sa 'today our judge is a teacher from Peking! or Tsinghua!'.

Also I wonder if the tuhao people who send their kids to Beijing would foam at te mouth at the chance to have a foreigner wh oworks at Tsinghua teach their kids, they could brag about it at a lunchtime meeting.

Apparently the job is a lot of work, so there wouldn't be a lot of free time to do private gigs. However, I'm still considering it. Interestingly, my Chinese partner is dead set against it, simply because of the crap money.
LarssonCrew

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Sounds like you'd not be capable of saving anything then.

You wouldn't even be able to take advantage of saying you work there
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: