Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paid Sick days. Public school Guangzhou

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conoresl1984

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Paid Sick days. Public school Guangzhou Reply with quote

Hi all

How many sick days are paid on average each year. If I get 12000 net, fully paid for Chinese New year and 6000 airfare. 20 hours a week
Thanks
nimadecaomei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience none. You make up what you missed.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nimadecaomei wrote:

Interesting response. Very incorrect in theory, but often very correct in reality.

The amount of days should be set in your contract. I knew a teacher whose school insisted he make them up despite the contract, and he did.

My first year in China I got three at Web. There were days I wanted to use them but the manager begged me to come in. I used none. When my contract renewed they were not paid to me nor carried over. His begging the second year got him nowhere.

My second job I was very sick one day. I called in and the high school insisted I needed a doctor note to do so. Hard to do sitting on the toilet an hour before classes began. I went in and later called the employer and screamed at them. Never needed a day off again, but the school lightened up for the other teachers who called in.

Since you have the same protections as a Chinese worker, I wonder, but am doubtful, that there may be a standard set by the government. Even if there is, I doubt your contract reflects this, or they would necessarily respect it.
The bear

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jimpellow wrote:
nimadecaomei wrote:

Interesting response. Very incorrect in theory, but often very correct in reality.

The amount of days should be set in your contract. I knew a teacher whose school insisted he make them up despite the contract, and he did.

My first year in China I got three at Web. There were days I wanted to use them but the manager begged me to come in. I used none. When my contract renewed they were not paid to me nor carried over. His begging the second year got him nowhere.

My second job I was very sick one day. I called in and the high school insisted I needed a doctor note to do so. Hard to do sitting on the toilet an hour before classes began. I went in and later called the employer and screamed at them. Never needed a day off again, but the school lightened up for the other teachers who called in.

Since you have the same protections as a Chinese worker, I wonder, but am doubtful, that there may be a standard set by the government. Even if there is, I doubt your contract reflects this, or they would necessarily respect it.

Employers are famous for not respecting the contract. Bring it up and they'd most likely laugh at you.
Tazz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

China ESl. Welcome to the world's biggest collection of scammers and chancers in terms of employers. Anything to save a nickel or screw a teacher out of a quarter. You may not get paid for it but don't ever let them bully you into working when sick-and refuse to comply with this absurd 'make-up' crap that everybody, working in every sector seems to have to deal with. I honestly can't see why so many put up with China full stop. Mad
Babala

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have found that training centres usually give around 3 - 5 sick days. Universities tend to have you make up classes missed.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a condition within the SAFEA contract that provides for lengthy illness to be a trigger for exiting the contract.
Can't see anything there about the odd day off for flu or whatever.
My recollection is that old fave 'makeup classes'.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having to give make up classes is the norm for me even though my contracts usually allow for 3-5 days sick leave. Non Sequitur is correct that prolonged illness will trigger a release.

Come to think of it, all previous responses relate to my experience. If it's in the contract, you MIGHT be accorded sick days. but then again, you might not.

If you like surprises, you'll love China.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at a public school and my contract states 5 days. However I was out sick for two weeks last semester and I got fully paid, which was a pleasant surprise
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you work for a public university, you'll have a monitor who reports to a mysterious work leader who reports FTs' "missteps" (including cancellation of class due to illness). If the monitor doesn't report your absence, the FAO isn't informed, and there won't be any repercussions unless the Powerz That Bee are informed.

I worked in a situation similar to this. I canceled Friday classes for a group that I worked with four days per week. This Friday class was the only class for each of us, so I taught it on a Thursday when the group was free. Everyone had a three-day weekend. The monitor had no problems with the change, so he felt no need to tell the work leader. The work leader allowed Chinese teachers to kick us out of the class to use the AV equipment, so he had no idea where we were on campus on any given day. If the "work leader" tried to call the monitor during the official class time, the monitor's phone was turned off. I was sick a couple of times and this class canceled the class after I arrived, and a half dozen of them walked me back to my apartment. Nobody knew about the canceled classes except the students. They were all smart enough to hop on a bus to go into the city so they wouldn't be seen sleeping in their dorms or walking around campus when they were scheduled for class.

Mule, no doubt your administration is a supportive one that actually cares about you, so you got paid. I've had FAOs like that. The situation that I described existed in a semi-privatized college situation in which the administration was thoroughly scrod up.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Bud, I'm very lucky to have a very supportive admin and haven't had an issue in three years. Not always the case though I'm sure!
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then stay there! It just gets progressively worse after you've experienced the best.
getbehindthemule

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhBudPowellWhereArtThou wrote:
Then stay there! It just gets progressively worse after you've experienced the best.

Good advice I reckon (apart from the pollution, it seems a no brainer for me to stay for anothr cpl of years)...
One often thinks that there's something better out there but forgets the fact that there's a lot worse out there also! I've read enough on here over the past few years to know that I got a very soft landing with this gig. I'm sure many others are in the same boat (content in their teaching position) but it's mainly the negative stuff that gets posted on Daves.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you stay a few hundred miles away from the big cities, the pollution isn't bad. There are a lot of modern small towns in Jiangsu.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: