Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Learning School, Taiyuan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
China2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Best Learning School, Taiyuan Reply with quote

Has anybody out there heard of this language school in Taiyuan? I know it focuses on young learners, but how about conditions, reputation etc?

Thanks
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few reviews on Glassdoor.
China2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:06 am    Post subject: Best Learning School Reply with quote

Thanks, but Glassdoor doesn't seem to even recognise the name of the school or the place.
ChrisHenry15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Best-Learning-Reviews-E653718.htm

Come on. There are two reviews of the Taiyuan branch on the first page.
China2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:06 am    Post subject: Best Learning School, Taiyuan Reply with quote

Thanks a lot
cdchristy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Taiyuan Reply with quote

Hello, I have lived in the Taiyuan area for about 3 years. I do not recall anyone saying something negative about this school. That being said, I have heard many horror stories from teachers who taught at local private training centers. Most recently, one school printed out a college degree from England for a Chinese teachers. Many schools hire Russians and call them Canadians. My advice---If possible, take a job at a university. Most schools will allow you to pick up extra hours at training centers on the weekends. After you make some good contacts, then you can decide whether or not to work directly with them. This approach will give you bargaining power. If you do choose this route, be aware that some universities will tell you that you can not work off campus. But the reality is that they run by a don't ask and don't tell policy. If you decide to come to Taiyuan, let me know. I will try to help in any way.

Mark
Foo_Fighters_Dave

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Taiyuan Reply with quote

cdchristy wrote:
Hello, I have lived in the Taiyuan area for about 3 years. I do not recall anyone saying something negative about this school. That being said, I have heard many horror stories from teachers who taught at local private training centers. Most recently, one school printed out a college degree from England for a Chinese teachers. Many schools hire Russians and call them Canadians. My advice---If possible, take a job at a university. Most schools will allow you to pick up extra hours at training centers on the weekends. After you make some good contacts, then you can decide whether or not to work directly with them. This approach will give you bargaining power. If you do choose this route, be aware that some universities will tell you that you can not work off campus. But the reality is that they run by a don't ask and don't tell policy. If you decide to come to Taiyuan, let me know. I will try to help in any way.

Mark

What's Taiyuan like? Does it have a vibrant expat community?
james s

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr grohl,

I used to live here a decade ago and am in town as I write.

The town has grown immensely and is now at 4mil people

A lot of high rises and areas of dense population.

The foreigners here that I used to see wanted nothing to do with any other foriegner
, hence why they came. At the place I worked, however, we drank regularly and hung out together a lot.

It is not the best city in china but it will give the Chinese experience to you

I would not move back here.

Nice to visit though
Guerciotti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Grohl,
What does 'vibrant' mean? (serious)
From what I have seen, most foreigners here seem to like drinking.
True, there are many Russians posing as Westerners. There's one American school owner who rants about how non-native speakers are better teachers than natives.
Been here over one year. If you hate Western things (Starbucks, McDonald's, KFC, etc.), you will find many like-minded foreigners, not necessarily from the 'native speaker' countries. There are more than a few Africans here.
Strange place, but my social life is my lowest priority, so I don't care.
james s

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a week here, I like taiyuan. I like it now and like the development that is coming.

It is not the same city that it was. I would consider living here now.

James
cdchristy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Taiyuan Reply with quote

I would echo the thoughts of those who have described Taiyuan. The expat community is small, and many are seeking a more authentic cultural experience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: