Site Search:

Transworld Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
Transworld
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Jobs with paid holidays

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double_Dragon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:06 am    Post subject: Jobs with paid holidays Reply with quote

Ok, so in most jobs you will get paid for the national holidays, but how common is it to find jobs with PAID summer and/or winter holidays? Because, it's a bit unfair to prohibit us from working at other schools or even tutoring privates, whilst not paying us for so long.

Oh and, what type of jobs most commonly have such paid holidays?

Xie 2 the xie
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is unfair? Your post needs more clarity.
OhBudPowellWhereArtThou

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=114607&highlight=paid+holidays

The search button is your friend.
kungfuman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company gives us 4 months a year paid holidays. Summer, 2 weeks at xmas, and 1 month spring festival = all fully paid.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you start in September, your contract will likely be 10 months.
Accordingly you are no longer employed from the following 1 July.
During that 10 months you will receive salary for the Spring Break, although some are reporting a reduced rate. Not my experience though.
National holidays will be paid but the 'non work' days may not be as many as you expect, which brings in the whole topic of makeup days. That's a whole topic in itself, which has been traversed many times.
If you re sign at your school they may offer (or you may ask for) payment for July and August.
I've never been taken to task for working in the summer break although like everything in China where you're stretching the rules - don't rub their noses in it.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 12 month paid contact, and I'm free to work extra on paid holidays. Read the contract and take the best one available to you based on your preferences. There is no standard contact in China. My school is lenient on the rules, hard to judge that in advance.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/english-teaching-contracts.htm

Spring (Feb) semester starts can garner a 12 contract. For the first contract on a Fall Semester start basis, the standard is 10 months. As has been mentioned elsewhere paid summer holiday can be negotiated if you re-sign*.
I think SAFEA would have a different view as to whether there is a 'standard contract'.
But I think we are talking contract period rather than the overall contract.
* Someone with unique and valuable skills could leverage 12 months from the get go, but I'm sure you would have mentioned that.
Greg 09

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non Sequitur wrote:
http://middlekingdomlife.com/guide/english-teaching-contracts.htm

I think SAFEA would have a different view as to whether there is a 'standard contract'.
But I think we are talking contract period rather than the overall contract.
* Someone with unique and valuable skills could leverage 12 months from the get go, but I'm sure you would have mentioned that.

What I mean is that there are are so many variables in a contract, and they differ so widely from school to school. Salary, housing, travel allowance, working hours, paid holidays etc

To clarify the 10 month or 12 month issue, you can think of it in hems of being paid or not paid for every month you're under contract. Fall starts at my school are 10 months first contact year, fully paid each of the 10 months. Sept through June. The following contact starts July 1, fully paid each month until June 30 of the following year. It's a 12 month paid contact.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said. If you re-sign you can get 12m. It's not term of the first contract generally.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: