Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Criminal record check (not from home country)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dekkard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:53 pm    Post subject: Criminal record check (not from home country) Reply with quote

Question for those who've taken a job in China having worked in another country (not your home country) beforehand.

Did you need to provide your employer with a criminal record check from that other country as well as your home country?
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm from the UK and I have never provided such stuff. I have never even been asked for it. I just simply ticked a form saying I had no criminal record.
dekkard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, when did you start in China tho? These days an official UK check is required.
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not true.

My first job was 2009-2013.

I am literally in the process of getting my second visa now. No check required. I will work in Guangdong.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I am applying from Russia (I live there now). Maybe if you apply in the UK embassy they require one? My Russian wife also didn't require a background check.

Come to think of it, it should make no difference which country you apply in, as the actual form I ticked and signed was sent to be used in China.
dekkard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Beijing employer has asked for it. Maybe a Beijing thing only?
Deats

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it could be. I keep hearing how different provinces have different rules.

It could also be that your employer is asking for things that aren't necessary. This sometimes happens as they want to make sure they have every possible last document, whether they need them or not.

My employer told me I had to go to my home country to apply - and many people on this website said the same (except 7969, who knew the truth), but the Chinese embassy here said it was BS and they have no problem handing out visas to non-Russians.
jimpellow

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many recent threads on this, but here we go.

Beijing has lightened up on the requirements for a criminal check. It does not have to be a national one, which is a major hassle for certain nationalities such as Americans.

I was recently looking at a job in Beijing with a school which is rather on top of things. They know I am a nomadic sort but felt strongly the local will do. You would be wise to nail it down with the employer, meaning make sure they know for sure.

In some jurisdictions you need to show you have no criminal record for other jurisdictions in China in which you have taught.

Deats: "My employer told me I had to go to my home country to apply - and many people on this website said the same (except 7969, who knew the truth), but the Chinese embassy here said it was BS and they have no problem handing out visas to non-Russians."

There may be a problem with this which has been mentioned in a few recent posts. In order for a visa to be granted in a country where the applicant does not have some sort of at least semi permanent residency the embassy must be willing to process it, and the jurisdiction in China must be willing to issue it to that third country embassy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: