Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

six month contracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: six month contracts Reply with quote

I am interested in coming to Turkey to teach, but I�m a bit concerned about the economic situation being that I unfortunately have student loans, about $250 a month, . I saw in another thread that people were able to pay their loans working in Turkey, but I�m still a bit worried. I could probably save up enough money to cover them, if I only worked in turkey over a six month period.
So, my question: is this possible? Are six months contracts available? Must you have a one year contract to get a work visa? Also, can you get a job in January if I can�t leave right away? I�d really appreciate any help.

Thanks
gelin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 5:20 pm    Post subject: I'm not sure Reply with quote

I think the minimum contract would be 10 months, so why not try that? I know there'll be people who say come and work on your tourist visa, and leave after 3 months, come back for another 3, but I don't know if I'd like to do that. What credentials do you have? Do you have a degree in ESL or English and a valid teaching certificate? Will you target language schools? They are notoriously low payers and offer the least benefits. You might be able to be a substitute teacher -- filling in for teachers who have fled -- in January. I've known people who have filled in and have gotten work visas, etc. That was not in a language school, however, but a private K-12 one. Good luck.
fatgirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Well, I only have a BA (not in English) and a CELTA certificate, and I have been working in Spain for one year. The K-12�s need a degree in English, don�t they? Well, maybe I�ll try to sub for some of these fleeing teachings in January. How bad is the situation at these private language schools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Turkey All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: