Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools in Mexico City

View previous topic :: View next topic  
g-lover

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Schools in Mexico City Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm heading to Mexico City in a few days. Can anyone who has taught there give me a run down of the schools there. What are five places you would recommend? I'm looking to teach English to adults, preferably business people, 15-25 hours a week.

I just got a CELTA and have business experience in Mexico, but not teaching experience. How long should it take to get a decent job, and what kind of pay should I expect? How long does the visa process take?

My plan of action was to visit schools in person with my resume. Anyone have another sugesstion.

Cheers,
g-lover
MELEE

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that g-lover is already on the ground in Mexico, but I thought others might want to know about a site called Alphabet City that has a "white pages" listing of schools that may or may not be hiring, but that you can contact. The list is global, but here is the like for the Mexico Section http://shop.store.yahoo.com/alphabetcity/mexico.html You can also submit schools to ad to the list if you like helping out your fellow teachers.
Lee_Marrero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have worked in Mexico City, Michoacan and Chiapas. I have worked for public school, language institute and the ubiquitos Harmon Hall chain. Beware of some HArmon Halls as they are privately owned franchises and hence do not always follow the rules ie paying the right salary and on time. HArmon Halls are easy work due to the curriculum which is already in place and that they dont teach grammar per se. The crappy part is that one month you are teaching 25-30 hours per week and making 10,000 pesos a month the next month you are teaching 2 90 minute classes and making 2,000 pesos a month. This is due to favoritism, I must say I was one of the favorites and always had my choice of schedules but others werent that lucky! The independent chain schools allow for more creative input from the teachers but are sketchy because of fluctuations in the school income and how it affects your paycheck! the universities can be good if you get in at the right time, otherwise you will not have enough hours to get by. They dont provide housing (most) or any other type of assistance but those things are cheap anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: