Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First impressions of Doha....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
QatarChic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: First impressions of Doha.... Reply with quote

So I am finally here! Laughing

Ok, here are my first impressions, which may be useful for people thinking about coming out to this country. There is a LOT of development going on and at first glance- parts of the city (Doha) look like a building site BUT with the ASIAN GAMES coming here December 2006, the city is making every effort to finalise it for this event.

The BIGGEST problem I think here so far-is the rent. Its getting VERY expensive to rent and many people are thinking of going back to their countries- due to prices just ROCKETING, whilst single people are now sharing to cover costs. Most one bedroomed (furnished) flats are costing around 5000 QR, whilst houses for a family of four is around 10000 QR.

However, some companies/colleges are increasing significantly both their housing allowance and salaries (which are very high compared to other countries). a Good salary to live on and save money is around 8000 QR (not including housing)- in terms of teaching there are lots of possibilities and you are never short of private teaching, should you wish to supplement your income- most teachers get paid between 100-150 QR an hour for this.

In terms of things to do, there are plenty of shopping malls with well known shops such as ZARA, DEBENHAMS, KAREN MILLEN, STARBUCKS, CAREEFOUR etc- you name it. Most people tend to join one of the major clubs/hotels, where you can swim, play tennis, golf, etc. There are plenty of restaurants, bars, cinemas, theatres etc contrary to what people say Doha is not "dull" There's a lot going on here- and if you want to be part of a country which is continuing to grow and develop then this is the place for you to be.

With transport, there are plenty of taxis and so forth, however they are phasing out the cheaper "orange" taxis and brining in these new "blue" cars which are very modern- you can also call for one of these taxis- if you need one in advance. Overall, its very easy to get around this city which isn't as big as it seems. If you want to travela around the region, Qatarairways have some very good packages going to Europe/Asia/Africa and the rest of the Middle East.

The Qataris themselves are reserved at first but incredibly warm and welcoming when you get to know them. There are also lots of other nationalities here as well, who work not only in the education sector, but also in oil and gas, construction, finance ...etc

Hope this helps! Smile
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it's going well. I left Qatar in February (after just 6 months) and I didn't respond to your earlier post asking about accommodation 'cos so many people jumped in and answered that you'd certainly find something easily in the budget you mentioned. I felt a bit of a fool then, because I had left after I found it impossible to get anywhere suitable for me to bring my wife and baby to on the 4000 allowance I had. All I wanted was a reasonably pleasant flat. People sometimes don't realise or believe how much the prices are going up there! ROCKETING is the word. I had a colleague who was on a compound (rich husband) and they were all told when their leases finished the prices would be going up from 6000 to 12000 overnight - that's about �900 rising to more than �1800!

Glad to hear that the taxis are settling down too. Have you managed to actually order one by phone? During my time no one ever managed to get through to them.

Beware Qatar Airways though - we were quite a small staff room but had more than one horror story about them. It seems they mean well but are basically expanding far faster than they can cope with - don't expect the 5 star hotel package in Sri Lanka you booked to actually be 5 star - probably 2 or 3 star 'cos they don't have anyone to inspect the hotels. That's what I heard anyway. Also, their advice on visa requirements leaves something to be desired, if you choose to take it.

Have fun there though. I was very sorry to have to leave
dmb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow have rents increased by that much? I left just over a year ago and they were never that high. I used to know a few guys in the oil industry, underwater welders and such who were on 5000 dollars a day. They could afford these rents. But an efl teacher? no way. It seems that if you are going to Qatar make sure to get a contract with housing.
Qatarchic, nice to hear you are settling in and enjoying it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
wow have rents increased by that much? I left just over a year ago and they were never that high. I used to know a few guys in the oil industry, underwater welders and such who were on 5000 dollars a day. They could afford these rents. But an efl teacher? no way. It seems that if you are going to Qatar make sure to get a contract with housing.
Qatarchic, nice to hear you are settling in and enjoying it.

5000 USD a day? They should jack it in and go into TEFL. Then they could tell all the other teflers that they were on 5000 USD a day but it wasn`t them and that they were looking for a new challenge.
dmb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As usual 31 you are correct. we all should have left school at 16 and 'got a trade' Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hijacked again, Qatarchic! Never mind, it's good to hear from you and it looks like you're settling in well. You didn't mention your accommodation or your job, though - everything all right there?
QatarChic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

English brian- well people who have travelled to Sri Lanka, Hong Kong and Turkey with Qatar airways, didn't have any problems but thanks for the info though! Smile As for the taxis, well each time I have called for one, it has always arrived- so far Smile

dmb- yup rent has just sky rocketed- apparently some new tower blocks have appartments which are going for as much as 25000 QR per month Shocked !

young george- appartment is nice and well furnished (but a tad pricy) and job is going well Smile
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mean to go off topic but it is related to something english brian said. Isn't there a newish budget airline(middle east air?) Has anyone flown with them and are they much cheaper?What is the service like?
younggeorge

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmb wrote:
I don't mean to go off topic but it is related to something english brian said. Isn't there a newish budget airline(middle east air?) Has anyone flown with them and are they much cheaper?What is the service like?

Maybe you mean Air Arabia. They're based in Sharjah but apart from their advertisements I haven't heard much about them, either good or bad. They have a website: http://www.airarabia.com/

Middle East Arways is the Lebanese airline - being going for donkeys' years. Nothing special.
dmb

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed that's the one I meant
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All second hand info. I'm afraid but I 'heard' Air Arabia was good (ie handy and cheap).

Should clarify the only negatives I heard about about Qatar Airways were about their 'holiday packages', not their flights per se. Mind you, it only takes one friend to have a bad experience and it tars an airline for life in your mind, and vice versa.

I always flew home on the dreaded Emirates cos it was fractionally cheaper (I come from Yorkshire). Don't fancy using them again tho' cos when I left Doha for the last time I got asked on the plane to give up my hard won isle seat for a middle seat because some tall guy didn't fit comfortably. Just about the only advantage of being 5'8 is you aren't so cramped on aeroplanes - they didn't even offer me a free basket of miniatures as compensation!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that your experience of Emirates is bad. Last I heard they were the best in the Gulf (not a difficult task, but...) and I always tried to arrange any of my trips to use them as they were not only cheaper but infinitely better... certainly as good as the best of the Asian carriers.

Has there been some fall-off in the last couple of years? I haven't paid attention lately, but they always used to win all those awards for service.

VS
(sorry for the hijack Qatarchic... glad that all is going well there!!)
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I'm being unfair. I used them a lot cos they were good for a good price and if you use one carrier enough sooner or later you're bound to have a negative experience with them. It was one of those journeys when you're really tired, still have a long way to go then someone... well, you know how it goes?

I didn't want to particularly drag this thread into airlines - sorry about that - but now that I do think about it, once you get to Doha your main interest then becomes how you can get out again. (Only joking, I know it really can be a nice place)
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh by the way, I was pleased to hear the taxi firm's got its act together. I arrived last September just when they'd just pulled loads of the orange taxis of the roads to make way for the turquiose ones and there was a huge shortage. As the new ones came 'on line' there were still real problems and lots of stories in the papers about the problem. Sounds like it's working out well after all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: