Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pet friendly EU countries
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Signor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Pet friendly EU countries Reply with quote

I have been in Asia for some years and I'm getting to the point where I would like to return to the British Isles.

I have a couple of pets and I will have to work in the EEC for at least six months to avoid them going into quarantine.

I need a quiet place for my pets and (if possible) would like to be able to choose my own accommodation - I can board them for a couple of weeks while I get settled.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's faced this problem so can anyone give me some information about a country that is pet friendly and where I can get enough work to cover my expenses. I would not necessarily limit my stay to 6 months - I would just be happy to have the peace of mind that would come from knowing that I could return to the British Isles when I wanted

I have a degree, CELTA and various other certificates. I have around 20 years of training experience (about 5 in English language) - unfortunately I have no PGCE.

All advice appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"EEC" is no more. "EU" now !
Signor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject: I stand corrected Reply with quote

Okay EU - shows how long I've been away.

Anyone out there?
Moore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spain: money�s rubbish, but life is good and pets aren�t a problem (maybe it�s the tiled floor / loads of noise anyway thing) - can get a bit hot if you have a very hairy dog, but most owners give them a very embarrasing-looking haircut and that seems to work.
Signor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Sounds good - would I be able to make enough money to live?

What parts of Spain would you recommend?
Moore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only just, Spain�s more a place you live in for the lifestyle, not the cash - it can be a big shock paying London prices after being here for a while. That said, you have qualifications and lots of experience, so you should be able to find something steady: try the British Council, or International House, just don�t expect to earn much more than 1300 euros a month, usually over ten months (summers are usually unpaid here), best of luck.
Jolly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Pet friendly EU countries Reply with quote

Signor wrote:
I have been in Asia for some years and I'm getting to the point where I would like to return to the British Isles.

I have a couple of pets and I will have to work in the EEC for at least six months to avoid them going into quarantine.

I need a quiet place for my pets and (if possible) would like to be able to choose my own accommodation - I can board them for a couple of weeks while I get settled.

I'm sure I'm not the only person who's faced this problem so can anyone give me some information about a country that is pet friendly and where I can get enough work to cover my expenses. I would not necessarily limit my stay to 6 months - I would just be happy to have the peace of mind that would come from knowing that I could return to the British Isles when I wanted

I have a degree, CELTA and various other certificates. I have around 20 years of training experience (about 5 in English language) - unfortunately I have no PGCE.

All advice appreciated.

The Netherlands is definitely pet friendly, but the job market is not strong at this time. It's quite expensive to live here too.
daily chai

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you should enquire at your local consulate about quarantine measures for each country. I doubt if you'd be able to escape some form of quarantine on your Asian pets. Then it's a matter of finding a landlord who's pet-friendly--no worries about the country being so. Am Ig etting this right?
Signor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

I've done a fair bit of research on this - even trying to get them in through Ireland where I have friends but the 6 months quarantine is in effect there.

They are innoculated, microchipped and neutered - if I was in a Pet Passport country (eg EU, Bahrain or UAE), they could go straight into the UK - I'm assuming that they can get into the EU as long as I arrange a vet check at the airport. Obviously I'd do a final check.

I obviously need a pet friendly landlord - and a pet friendly area would be wonderful.

I'm investigating Spain at the moment but all suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you make a cat go "woof" ?

Apply one liter of petrol and ignite.
grahamb

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject: Feline groovy Reply with quote

Careful, Scot47: the literal-minded out there might think you're inciting cruelty to cats.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fully expect a deluge of vitriol from those who love cats more than they love humans.
grahamb

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Cool for cats Reply with quote

I found the use of the gringo spelling of "litre" more disturbing than any implied cruelty to cats. A simple typo or should we be concerned?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I might upset a few British Empire Loyalists by adopting the Yankee spelling.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: Upsetting Reply with quote

The ever-versatile Scot47 has discovered the knack of upsetting cat-lovers, British Empire Loyalists and cat-loving British Empire Loyalists, thus killing three birds, or cats, with one stone.
Adopting Yankee spelling would make learning English easier, not least for the semi-literate yoof of Cool Britannia. In my day we were taught such uncool things as spelling, grammar and handwriting. How times have changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: