Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Q about contracts

View previous topic :: View next topic  
canadian_chic80

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Q about contracts Reply with quote

My friend and I have received a job offer and accepted it. Now we are just waitng for them to send the contract. The director of studies from the school emailed me saying they are double checking the contract and she thinks we'll have it by the end of this week. (we accepted the job last Friday and we would have to be in Italy by October 3rd) From anyone who's gone through this before, is this normal procedure? I mean to wait this long to receive a contract. I'm not booking my flight before I read that contract so she's really pressing us for time.
Should contracts take this long to be sent to you via email? I assumed contracts would already be set up for the potential candidates no?? Am I being paranoid??

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could give me any suggestions or advice.

Thank You

Lori
Ontario, Canada
John ELS

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: Contract? Reply with quote

It's already a wonder that they're offering you a contract. Very few schools in Italy offer contracts. What terms were offered in the job description?
canadian_chic80

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey John,

Thanks for the reply.
We received the contract yesterday (which she sent to me in Italian) and told me to translate it for my friend. (I can read and speak Italian but I didn't understand all of those legal terms so asked her to send an English copy, which she had no problem doing.)
A lot of the terms were very unclear. Things like 700 hrs over 8 months at 9 euros hr for every actual hour taught. (when we calculated this it came to less per month then what was actually stated on the job posting)
There were too many terms to list here but a lot of it was very unclear. There was nothing guaranteed and it mentioned nothing about our accomodation (which was stated in the phone interview and on the posting) We had a lawyer look it over and even others who looked at it said it wasn't specific enough.
I emailed the director back this morning and rejected the offer. Do you think we made the right decision??
I just found it odd that it took them three days to send the contract and wanted us to sign it and send it back within a day and a half.

LORI
John ELS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be honest, few schools offer contracts. They don't want to commit. In any case, it was almost certainly a "private contract" (as opposed to a "national contract") and there was probably a clause someplace stating that they could terminate the contract whenever they want so you can have a hundred lawyers look at it but the bottom line is: no job security. But in this business the only way to have job security is if you're good and you have experience. The market is there.
700 hours over 8 months means about 25 hours per week. That's standard.
If you want to teach in the city where this school is located I suggest you accept the offer if it's not too late. Clear up the issue on accommodation. Usually you have to find it on you're own.
Once you're in Italy, with a little experience, it will be very easy for you to move to another school if you're not happy. You'll come into contact with the "teaching community" and learn so much about the market and where the work is.
Don't worry about the delay. This is Italy. An incredibly beautiful country with a wonderful lifestyle where punctuality is a relative term. Anyway, you're the one looking for a job so you have to go by their schedule. Even if they took a month to send you the contract if they want it back in 24 hours you should send it back in 24 hours. In about five years when you're a "super teacher" with some experience under your belt then you can start setting some of the rules but for now....follow them.
I recently posted a job offer for teaching on a cruise ship. I received hundreds of CVs for about 5 positions. I only mention that because if they don't hire you they'll just go somewhere else.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I notice that you're in Genoa. At the risk of being a cheeky competitor, what's the private tuition and freelance market like there? I've more or less decided on somewhere near the mountains and where I think there might be a market, but as I'm English I'm not sure how I'd cope being so far from the sea and Genoa is also a place I'm considering.Smile

Lots of cheap flights at the moment so I'll be over in a few weeks for a recce, but hearing from someone on the ground is always interesting, so thanks for your previous informative posts.

sue
John ELS

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you're coming in person you'll have to stop by my office. Let me know if you have time.
Genoa is a beautiful city, with its problems, but beautiful. It's also in an excellent location. 2 hours from the Italian-French-Swiss alps and 5 hours from the Italian-Austrian alps, 2 hours from Florence and 5 hours from Rome. I go to the mountains every summer but living next to the sea is a must. There is a direct flight on Ryan between London and Genoa. And it's cheap.
The market is saturated but if you know where to look you can find plenty of work. Do you have any experience teaching in Italy?
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

Never taught in Italy although I lived in Rome for 7 years as a kid, more years ago than I care to mention. I'm a career changer from IT (phew) and have been teaching EFL/ESOL here in the UK as well as a sideline in beginners' Italian at local evening classes/FE college.

When you say the market is saturated, do you think that is general on a geographical basis or just Genoa and are you talking about schools or freelancers? I was under the impression that the increased teaching of English in state schools had raised demand generally.

Anyway, if I get to Genoa I'll look you up and I'm always up for recommendations for decent inexpensive restaurants. Not sure of timings as I am waiting to hear when my replacement boiler is to be installed.

Beautiful autumn day here so fresh air calls. Thanks for the information.

Sue
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: