Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Looking for work in Thailand (no degree)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chris420

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Looking for work in Thailand (no degree) Reply with quote

Hello. Can anyone give some good advice with reguards to finding work in Thailand even though I have no degree? I'm also wondering if there's any websites with Thailand job postings that don't requre a degree. Most jobs out there say that I need a degree (ones that I see over the internet). I want to find a job to last me a few years if possible. I was wondering, what type of visa would I come to Thailand under if I am unable to qualify for a work visa? Are there any recruiting services that recruit people from abroad? Also, is it easy to find a job that will include accomodation? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Chris420

p.s. Which cities are the best cities for a foreigner to live in?
junkmail

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use the search function. Type in 'no degree' and check the box that says 'Search for all terms' then choose the Thailand forum from the drop down menu on the left. This subject has been covered recently.

Basically it depends which school and in which province.

Quote:
I'm also wondering if there's any websites with Thailand job postings that don't requre a degree. Most jobs out there say that I need a degree (ones that I see over the internet).

You'll have to go to Thailand to find a job there as an unqualified teacher.
If you really want to teach for some years then consider getting a TESOL.

Good luck.
Sheep-Goats

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most job postings are on the interent, so what you're seeing is pretty much what's available -- you won't find too much more once you're on the ground. But if you're not on the ground you won't get any quality replies from schools, either.

http://www.ajarn.com has the best jobs board for Thailand by far. Used to be better before the formatting changed, but the jobs list is still just as good.

As has been mentioned, the whole "no degree" thing has been run into the ground over the past few weeks. In general you won't find schools specifically advertising for non-degree holders, but you will find that if you're not a toal schlub you may find a place willing to hire you without slashing your salary too drastically. Most will prefer you work illegally without a degree (which isn't a bad option in Thailand, but not ideal) but it is possible to be totally legal without a degree. Possible, but not likely, from the impressions I got in my two years there.

Kenkannif has the inside track on the legalities for non-degree holders, and he usually asks people in your situation to PM him.
junkmail

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice info Sheep-Goats.
Also, take a look at the general Asia forum. There's an active and informative thread on this topic.
Boy Wonder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2005 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find loads of places in Bangkok willing to take you on without a degree.....ECC and English first to name just two.....plus a plethora of schools eager to have you walk right on in to teach a class of 50 primary school kids!!

A friend here has had no trouble at all getting offers for work!
Jared

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Wonder wrote:
ECC and English first to name just two.....plus a plethora of schools eager to have you walk right on in to teach a class of 50 primary school kids!!
50 kids? woah!!! that's alot. Are you sure about that? Heck I have no teaching experience at all. And I'm looking at comming to Thailand on a visitor visa and doing a visa run every 2-3 months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: